Detecting in the Chihuahuan High Desert

portolan

Greetings. Thanks in advance for your help. I own a home in the high desert of the State of Chihuahua. I live in an area full of old mining camps, sawmills, railroad depots, haciendas, archaeological sites, etc. The soil is very mineralized and stony. 5000 feet in altitude. There are many prehistoric sites along rivers, caves, etc. Indians, pre-historic peoples, Apaches, miners, soldiers (US, Spanish and Mexican), traders bandits and all sorts of others frequented the area. I think it would be a hoot to go out and detect. We have abandoned factories, mines, you name it. I want a quality detector, because I have no way to get parts, service, etc. I would prefer to get everything I need in one purchase as I am hours away from civilization. I am a novice, but have been interested for years in doing this. I am now facing retirement and will have the time. Reliability is important. Lots of rocks and stones.....

I hope this gives you enough information to help me. Whenever I dig holes for plants, trees or fence posts I find something.....The earth is full of history. Pershing was all over our area with thousands of soldiers. The revolution happened in my backyard, etc etc. 600-800 is my expected price range but I can go higher or lower depending on what you suggest. I am currently in San Diego and would like to take something down to the ranch over Easter. Thanks so much for the help. I appreciate it very much.

Choices!

thanks for the advice. I checked out the Sovereign GT. It had great reviews. Someone mentioned an awesome 18 inch coil for it. I found one on Kelly's. Would someone mind please telling me the purpose/advantage of the 18 inch coil over the 10 inch coil? I found I could get through Kelly's the Sovereign Gt with accessories, and 18 inch coil (if someone will please explain its purpose and advantages, and a MPX detector for my wife and son, all for around $1000. Would that be a good way to go for me? The White's SV3 would get me a detector and one of the free ones they are offering for about $1400 or so...Which package would be better for my chihuahua experience? Thanks

OK.. first of all, I have no experience with the Sovereign.... the 18 inch coil allows you to cover a lot of ground and goes fairly deep - but not good for trashy areas. As you can see from my sigline, I am a White's advocate, so I will naturally recommend the V3 package you mentioned. I can tell you the
V3 is a superb machine, a technology leader, and, with all the preset programs, easy to use. If you wish to modify programs, that is easy as well. There are excellent forums for help and advice on this unit. Good luck, RickO

Back
Top Bottom