Can't find it!!!.... Help!

brooktrout

Again with the ace250,
Ok!  I get a really good signal on a dime and quarter, the reader says 4" to 6" and sometimes 2" of depth, so I dig a small plug out about 4" deep, then I scan the plug to see if it's there, NOTHING!! so I scan the hole and the signal is even stronger this time, when pinpointing it reads 2" deep, (the hole is already 4" deep!) so I proceed to dig a little deeper and also around the edges of the hole, I pick my MD and scan, still 2" deep and very strong signal in the center of the hole, by now the hole is 8" 9" deep!!! WHAT THE H***! :mad:
Do I need to waist my time and dig even deeper, or does it mean that there is a larger piece of metal at greater depth?, and it's given me a wrong read?
Pretty soon people walking by are going to think I'm the local landscaper, getting ready to plant a tree or something, there on my knees with my forhead dripping sweat and with dirt up to my elbows, cussing up a storm. :roll:

Yup. When that happens to me, 9 times outta 10 it's a nail and I finally find it at 12 o'clock, just outside the top edge of the hole I've been digging. Nails are pretty good at throwing the pinpoint off. A lot of newer nails (especially galvanized ones) bounce all over in the silver coin notches.

Yesterday I got a solid silver coin hit & started digging. The ground was too hard at 2" deep, but I was still getting the same high tone signal. I poured a cup of water in the hole to soften the soil overnight. This morning, it registered a solid midrange tone, so I dug some more, still got the solid midrange signal. Finally popped out a 1-1/2" diameter Snapple bottle lid. Once the soil was beat out of it, it registered a solid iron signal. Halo effect, nails do it pretty bad too :(

Simiular problem, Had a object 4 inchs down, could not find it for the llife of me. Finally, After receiving my DFX and that Pin Point tool, it still took some time, it was a dime. Even with the pin point tool I keep pushing the dime around and STILL could not see it. Then WALA, the dime looks like just dirt and pushing the dirt around with the pin point tool it showed it self.
I guess my point here is MANY times it tuff to see your treasure.

I get it too with my MXT, large garbage at amazing depths. My most recent weighed in at 141 pounds and I have no idea what it is, pulled it from 3 feet this morning...lol

Bri-

I have a couple spots that hit that way. I have even gone back and still nothing.
It seems odd, but if it is highly conductive and large & very deep, the machine maygive you the readout.

3 Feet!? :shock: Dang you have a backhoe for a digging tool Firewhiz? :lol:

I carry a couple of larger shovels in the car for this sort of thing, the hit was so large I had no choice but to dig it. You never know, it coulda been Hoffa or something. This hit was 4 feet from the lot line of an old drive-in that won't let me hunt there, because they've been dumping things for quite a while. I'm not trying to make waves with the DNR or anything, or get an EPA dig, just curious as to what's there, and what isn't. After removing the largest piece of steel, I swept the hole again and sure enough, there's more there, deeper at that. I'm gonna put it all back, since I don't intend to clean their lot for nothing, but still, it was kinda neat to see the MXT work at such a depth with a great amount of clarity. As far as a backhoe? I just might be able to come upon one, working for a fire department and all.... :grin: :grin: Aside from that piece(s) I pulled out nothing but iron junk around the lot from 1 inch to 1 foot. Not one single piece of clad, but being a backfilled lot I expected that. Found 6 or 7 arrowheadsd made of flint, randomly at that. I knew I wouldn't find much, just wanted to test it's capabilities, maybe along with my own.....lol All in all I learned the machine works like a chamo and I can dig one heckova hole...lol

HH as always,

Bri-

Are you also using a hand held pinpointer in the hole and along the sides of the hole? I find that very helpful when having trouble finding an object. It is a must have for me.

No,  I don't have a hand held pinpointer yet, but I am thinking on buying one, that would probably help a lot finding whatever is in there.

It might just be a big piece of POOP....POPPY! ;)

Thanks all for the advice!

Most detectors are calibrated to read depth on coin sized objects. Larger objects read a lot shallower then they are. The tip about raising the coil is good. A can reading will stay the same a coin will show deeper or you will lose the target as you raise the coil.

On my MXT cans might read 75, penny dime is usually 76-79 but can vary due to soil etc. So if I get a VID of 75 at 2", I pinpoint and dig 2-3" deep and check with my bullseye. If I don't get a hit with the bullseye, I check the hole with the detector. If the detector still shows it in the hole I can dig deeper but by now I know it's big and deep.

Oh I have a 12" probe. The way the tip is made I can push it through a can and can feel it catch on the can as I pull it back. There is a picture of it in the make it section.
Rob

Back
Top Bottom