Don't laugh too hard at me now

Tpmetal

Elite Member
So With the snow and frozen ground I have been going absolutely nuts not being able to detect lately. So I was going through the back of my truck and made an interesting find that I almost threw out! I found this thing sticking straight up out of the ground at an old cellar hole. So I yanked it out to detect around it and never gave it a thought. It was obviously used as a stake at some point and smashed with a hammer, which is funny for what it is. I believe I found my first gun barrel, seems short though don't have an exact measure but some where around 26 inches?. Gotta set up a larger electrolysis bath for it here at some point and look for stamping. But there is 100 percent a dovetailed front sight on this sucker, cant really tell if there is rifling or not yet. Anyone aware of that short of a rifle in like a 38 ish caliber?(will take proper measurements later)

Attachments

• 20180319_185726_resized.jpg
    20180319_185726_resized.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 20180319_185822_resized.jpg
    20180319_185822_resized.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 20180319_185902_resized.jpg
    20180319_185902_resized.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 253
Now that is WAY cool! I'm looking forward to seeing it after you do your magic to it.

26" barrel with a simple flush mounted one piece blade sight? My bet would be a Winchester model 1886.

Its so very Cool! I love it! Might have went through a fire?...

I keep looking at this picture..Right now, I'd be tempted to use a portion of this barrel...get out in my shop, bring it back to Life...build myself a a working rig out of it...take some other found various brass and wood and steel to do a sweet drop block modern cartridge .38 single shot or a front stuffed BP percussion pistol...

I'd use the rest to hammer flat, twist, and make some Damascus knives..I like old dirt found iron....its a real beauty!

I keep looking at this picture..Right now, I'd be tempted to use a portion of this barrel...get out in my shop, bring it back to Life...build myself a a working rig out of it...take some other found various brass and wood and steel to do a sweet drop block modern cartridge .38 single shot or a front stuffed BP percussion pistol...

I'd use the rest to hammer flat, twist, and make some Damascus knives..I like old dirt found iron....its a real beauty!

Maybe? No idea what I'll do with it. Too many projects as it is at the moment.

It's pretty rough, and I can't see the breech end worth a darn, but I almost wonder if it wasn't completed. That might be a little weird though, fitting a front sight when the breech isn't finished. That's usually a finishing touch.

It's pretty rough, and I can't see the breech end worth a darn, but I almost wonder if it wasn't completed. That might be a little weird though, fitting a front sight when the breech isn't finished. That's usually a finishing touch.

Right, I had that thought. ill see what zapping it does when I find a container of size to stick it in.

I do make knives out of old 1800's and early 1900's saw mill blades. Haven't finished one in awhile though. Have two blanks ready for handles and finishing, gotta get on that.

Back in the day everyone made guns and tractors....Gun barrels were a dime a dozen. Surveyors used to use them to mark property corners, they were good iron, cheap, and easy access.

Back
Top Bottom