My 2017 So Cal Year In Review

Hey everyone,
Here are my highlights from 2017. I didn't get out as much as previous years because of my involvement with my son and little league plus enjoying spending time with my girlfriend and traveling but I am happy with my finds from last year.

A couple of highlights were:
1814 Large Cent
1908 Barber Half
1931s Wheat Penny

Enjoy the photos and happy new year.
Jason

That amazes me that you got, what appears to be, more than $14 in face value of silver. You have over 120 silver coin finds. That's amazing.

It just floors me, though, that all those silver coins only add up to less than $200 spot (with a multiplier of 12.5 at $14 face, that's only $175). What's the numismatic value of them?

It's gotta be fun to find all those silver coins!

.... It just floors me, though, that all those silver coins only add up to less than $200 spot (with a multiplier of 12.5 at $14 face, that's only $175). What's the numismatic value of them? ...

Aaahh, you're starting to sound like my wife ! haha. When I bring home the coins to show, she immediately says "what are they worth ?" Doh!

Yes: Truth be told, barring numismatic gems, the silver coins we find do not add up to much. It's approx. 10x or 12x face right now. So a silver dime is worth (drum roll....) $1.00 -ish :roll:

But it's like sport-fishing: A fisherman will knock himself silly with expensive gear, time, learning strategy and skill, etc... to outsmart the lunker trout or bass. Right ? Yet when truth is told, he's better off if he took that $$, and simply went to the fish market to BUY that fish, right ?

So from a perfectly logical standpoint, it makes no sense. Once in awhile you get a numismatic gem (that pays for all your gear and a year's worth of gas & expenses). But the rest of the time, it's strictly sport. Nothing can compare to the glint of silver from a deeep hole in a worked out park. :p

Way to go Jam ! Loading up in 2017!without even trying . Congratulations on the killer year and the bucketlisters ! Your a rockstar.
, good luck in 2018 .. I see you already have a great start .
,Dew
Thanks Dew!
Good stuff, all of it! Congrats on a fine 2017 and best of luck in 2018 Jason!
Thanks Bruce!
Awesome! That's a lot of quality finds. I also found a Captain Midnight relic, though not as cool as that badge.
b31d2b4501039c78e666bf5a3d083630.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
That is one of my favorite finds from last year. Your badge is nice!
Holy Toledo Jamflicker ! All that silver is blinding ! Great photo layout. And knowing the spots you hunt: It is a testament to your excellent 6th sense to sniff those out.

Oh ... and of course .... all of those came from south of the Santa Barbara line, right ? :nono: :police:
Thanks Tom and yep this year all came from the south.
Ummmm....silver much? Wow. Impressive!
Thanks!
Wow Jason, WTG!!! Awesome 2017.

But I expect no less of you since I've been out with you a few times and have seen first hand the craziness in you and your Etrac.
Thanks Kurt!
Don't be fooled. Jamflicker is a robot. He's not human. How else can we explain these humanly impossible feats ? Thus his show & tell doesn't count. Move along. Nothing to see here folks. :laughing:
Haha, someones gotta oil these robot joints because they ache after every hunt.

Fantastic year Jason! Congrats! Good luck in 2018!
Thanks Jeff!

Those are awesome pics,for some reason I’m in love with that spoon! One hell of a season AGAIN Jason,it pays to know what the hell youre doing.
It’s good you get to mix it up with the boy,the gal AND detecting...and STILL have a turnout like that. Incredible as always!

Kevin
Thanks Kevin! Yeah the spoon is nice. I have found a 5 sterling spoons now but why not forks.

Another very amazing year Jason. even with the changes with priorities there is still a major league detector here. Fantastic pic's buddy with awesome displays. Hope 2018 will be even better in all parts of your life. Congrats Jason on all your adventures. Trapper
Thanks Trapper.

Man o man Jam!!!!! Looks like you found a silver mine! The rest was icing on the cake..... great finds and pics. Congrats and thanks for sharing....good luck in 2018
Thanks bud!
wow those are some impressive finds brother and a killer year wow wtg but wheres the gold ? all that silver and not a bit of gold ?
Thanks Romy. There is one piece of gold in the jewelry pic but that was found in a home with another target. I love silver and turf gold is tough to come by.
Amazing year Jam, congrats!
Thanks bud!
Jam, you just keep that silver train a rollin! Heck of a year! But tell you what, I really like the tokens you find! I dig mainly for Civil War stuff, and have only dug a few tokens. Congrats and GL for 2018!
Thanks! Tokens are one of my favorite things to find. I found a nice 5¢ trade token this past weekend from Denver.
Looks like Jam has done the impossible, except I think he really did find all those great finds. Congratulations on another great metal detecting year, and sounds like you had a great time with your son, and gf too. Spending time with your son, and gf, is priceless.
HH everyone
Thanks Harry! Yes, I love spending time with my son and GF. How'd you do last year?
Awesome year Jam, Congrats!
Best of luck in 2018!
Thanks Ron!
Yeah, looks like you hardly got out at all. :laughing:

Nice year there, nice career for some people!
Haha, well I got out but maybe should have said a lot less in comparison to previous years. Thanks!
That amazes me that you got, what appears to be, more than $14 in face value of silver. You have over 120 silver coin finds. That's amazing.

It just floors me, though, that all those silver coins only add up to less than $200 spot (with a multiplier of 12.5 at $14 face, that's only $175). What's the numismatic value of them?

It's gotta be fun to find all those silver coins!
I found 152 last year which was my lowest count in the past 5 years. I love seeing silver in the hole and it's not about the monitary value but the thrill of seeing silver in the hole.

Aaahh, you're starting to sound like my wife ! haha. When I bring home the coins to show, she immediately says "what are they worth ?" Doh!

Yes: Truth be told, barring numismatic gems, the silver coins we find do not add up to much. It's approx. 10x or 12x face right now. So a silver dime is worth (drum roll....) $1.00 -ish :roll:

But it's like sport-fishing: A fisherman will knock himself silly with expensive gear, time, learning strategy and skill, etc... to outsmart the lunker trout or bass. Right ? Yet when truth is told, he's better off if he took that $$, and simply went to the fish market to BUY that fish, right ?

So from a perfectly logical standpoint, it makes no sense. Once in awhile you get a numismatic gem (that pays for all your gear and a year's worth of gas & expenses). But the rest of the time, it's strictly sport. Nothing can compare to the glint of silver from a deeep hole in a worked out park. :p

Nice comment Tom. It's nice having a girlfriend who detects and can appreciate my finds for what they are instead of monetary value. Yes, it's a lot like fishing searching hours for that prized coin or relic.

Nice comment Tom. It's nice having a girlfriend who detects and can appreciate my finds for what they are instead of monetary value. Yes, it's a lot like fishing searching hours for that prized coin or relic.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on that parade..> Wasn't my intention. I just wondered if the numismatic values were spiked higher than just spot. Since I don't hardly ever find silver coins (like 1 per year), I don't even consider how often rarer coins show up, and wondered if you come across them regularly or not.

I think it's amazing that you've got that pile. Truly. You're a beast!

That's a lot of silver! :shock: Congrats on a fantastic year, and all the best for 2018 :)

When I bring home the coins to show, she immediately says "what are they worth ?" Doh!

Same here, everyone at home always asks "what are they worth" and "is there a rare one in there?" :lol: But for me it's not much about worth, but establishing a good collection and being able to save what I can :)

You had a Great Year Jam! All the way around...relationships and hunting..Thanks for taking us along and Congratulations! I still cant figure how that nickel got chopped in half!

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on that parade..> Wasn't my intention. I just wondered if the numismatic values were spiked higher than just spot. Since I don't hardly ever find silver coins (like 1 per year), I don't even consider how often rarer coins show up, and wondered if you come across them regularly or not.

I think it's amazing that you've got that pile. Truly. You're a beast!
Thanks. I never thought you were trying to rain on my parade. I got what you were saying. Once in a while I find a rare coin.
Very nice assortment of goodies!!! Well done!
Thank you!
That's a lot of silver! :shock: Congrats on a fantastic year, and all the best for 2018 :)

Same here, everyone at home always asks "what are they worth" and "is there a rare one in there?" :lol: But for me it's not much about worth, but establishing a good collection and being able to save what I can :)
Thanks
You had a Great Year Jam! All the way around...relationships and hunting..Thanks for taking us along and Congratulations! I still cant figure how that nickel got chopped in half!
Thanks! I actually broke the nickel trying to clean the crud off of it. It was cover in think black stuff.

Heck Jason, any of your Week in reviews is awesome, let alone a whole year...... :lol:

You did outstanding my friend, Don't let the Debby downers make you think different. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom