Desperate Cry For Help Wisconsin . Anywhere diggable tomorrow?

If it hadn’t been SO cold for SO long around here,it’d be different. It’s locked up a couple feet down now...

The best way I've found to hunt in very cold weather is to ...
Grind a sharp tip on your digger and hunt in the woods where there's a lot of leaves ( cellar holes, picnic areas, etc.).

Even if it's been cold for a long time the leaves really help to keep the ground from freezing solid.

Of course this is useless info. if there's to much snow on the ground !

Southern facing slopes or hills have a more direct angle
that face the Sun during the winter time.
Therefore they will absorb more heat than the flatter grounds
and will thaw out sooner, than other areas will.

dew, lets sit in my garage tomorrow. its 75 in here. beers cold. :laughing: the concrete is as hard as the ground outside. easy digging once we get past that. :lol: screw it. lets go to lake Michigan and water hunt. I got the dry suit, you get my wet suit. :roll: not kidding. screw it. lets go ice fishing instead.

🤔 That sounds nice .... not sure if will fit into your wet suit but if I have enough beer🍻 I might give it a try .. two dudes ice fishing on bago in scooba gear all plastered from sitting in the garage all morning would probably make the 5 o'clock news around here . Lol.
Or maybe not . Someone from Canada probably pulled that stunt years ago.

I saw it today, I saw it man.

Was south of Bloomington IL, NO SNOW, and dang did it look good,

Bloomington you say? That's not Normal is it 😎.
Just a little south . I'd drive 5 hours ....

where is Tony2 Cent when I need him ?

He would be a hell of a guide .

Hahaha. If you guys head this way, there is plenty of amazing ground to detect along that route and here in Southern California. The finds aren't prolific, but the ground isn't frozen!

Congrats on your retirement, I still have 10 years to go! On my 52nd birthday, I will be pulling the plug to the day!

Greg

Hey Greg, the man called me earlier this evening and threatened to put me in the trunk for the ride. I agreed to go with but got out of it cause I could not get off work tomorrow. We were making some big plans though. We were going to stop by IDX's place and kidnap him at the ends of our coils. As we needed a back up driver and a guy to chip in on the gas, plus he can read maps. Also he is a mechanic and would be a big asset if trouble came our way, hell he can even change tires. :D
Who knows maybe after the 9th (I retire) of next month we can really put a trip like this together. Trapper

This field in WI should still be diggable. Not like they'll need it for awhile now unfortunately.

Attachments

• pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 56
Even though the site is public owned by shareholders of which I am not. Getting permission may be a bit difficult. Trespassing comes with a life sentence without parole. And not even getting a season ticket, of which they have a waiting line of over 35 years, would allow me putting plugs into that surface. Anyway not much chance of me out living the line to find out. In this state this land is held in higher esteem than Indian burial grounds. I'd think I'd have better odds digging at Leavenworth Federal Prison which could happen if I dentured Earl Louis "Curly"Lambeau's Holy Institution. Trapper

This field in WI should still be diggable. Not like they'll need it for awhile now unfortunately.
my luck I'd run my lesche into one of the Heat coils they use under the field .
Just think of all the coin flip coins lost, super bowl rings !
Gold teath from all the old timers . You know how the young lads love there bling .

Even though the site is public owned by shareholders of which I am not. Getting permission may be a bit difficult. Trespassing comes with a life sentence without parole. And not even getting a season ticket, of which they have a waiting line of over 35 years, would allow me putting plugs into that surface. Anyway not much chance of me out living the line to find out. In this state this land is held in higher esteem than Indian burial grounds. I'd think I'd have better odds digging at Leavenworth Federal Prison which could happen if I dentured Earl Louis "Curly"Lambeau's Holy Institution. Trapper

There is risk involved ... I did drive over to the Lake Michigan shores where I found a. Ice soft cut . Grabbed a buck thirty something 👍 No dry suit needed Schmitzy 👍 Thanks for the tip though .

Attachments

• IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 48
You want to see some REAL cold weather metal detecting, look at page 3 in Lett's post called 'The Courland Pocket' in the War Relic Hunting section. These guys are SERIOUS - they are detecting on lake ice with a chainsaw to cut the ice and a STRONG magnet! And they get good stuff!

There is risk involved ... I did drive over to the Lake Michigan shores where I found a. Ice soft cut . Grabbed a buck thirty something 👍 No dry suit needed Schmitzy 👍 Thanks for the tip though .

Seriously the shores of Lake Michigan ore ok to detect? I thought the shore line was managed by the WI DNR?

I was on a public beach in Sheboygan . and I'm old so I'm grandfathered in I think .. based on the DNRs laws they can shut down anything at any time for mutltiple reasons . If they want you they will get you ... in guessing cooking on your deck is illegal now . If the DNR wants my 1.36 in modern junk metal the will hafta fight over it with the city of Sheboygan who maintains and patrolled that beach all year . Or maybe they can split it. Along with the rusty bottle caps aluminum can shards and broken glass . I needed an hour of my constitutional right to persue Happynes 😋
, Dew is

Edit : since one of my dimes is a 1966 and may fall under the fifty year old law of being a relic I must come clean and tell all my forum friends that I have lied .. I found these coins in my back yard last summer.. I just staged the entire event at the frozen brutal lake environment to show off !
I'm so ashamed of myself..🙄 Please forgive me . I should be banned like those that we are no longer aloud to speak there names .

Last edited:
I was on a public beach in Sheboygan . and I'm old so I'm grandfathered in I think .. based on the DNRs laws they can shut down anything at any time for mutltiple reasons . If they want you they will get you ... in guessing cooking on your deck is illegal now . If the DNR wants my 1.36 in modern junk metal the will hafta fight over it with the city of Sheboygan who maintains and patrolled that beach all year . Or maybe they can split it. Along with the rusty bottle caps aluminum can shards and broken glass . I needed an hour of my constitutional right to persue Happynes 😋
, Dew

I get it, however the DNR seems to have no restrictions on what they confiscate.

Until further notice the DNR can lick my sack.

Attachments

• 3C21362D-CBDA-4139-80F9-4C0E24A2AB8D.jpeg
    3C21362D-CBDA-4139-80F9-4C0E24A2AB8D.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 44
Actually , my 1966 dime is over 50 years old and is now a relic . But before I send it out to the DNR for there historical museum what about the city ? They have a musium? Or the county ?
Actually Lake Michigan is a federal waterway patrolled by the coast guard ... Doni send it to true Feds? Oh !!!! !!!
I think the United Nations took over our fresh water rights 🤔

Oh my 😐 I'm just going to drive back to the lake right now and throw it back !!!!!!
Oh wait!!! 🙁 Can I even throw something in the lake after I took it out ?

Until further notice the DNR can have a lick of my icecream cone anytime .🍭..
I should have known you have been threw this all in your mind already.

I love the way you summed it all up . Unfortunately without that potato sack image your comment seems inappropriate and actually offends me👀
Mods ! Mods !!! I need a ruling...
Just kiddin I fixed it.

Ha ha Kev ,
, Dew

Last edited:
I snuck out to Grant Park on my way home from work and the woods were mushy, but not frozen!
I scored a nickel and a wheatie:D
It is going to drop from 48 lovely degrees to 17 here tonight and stay below freezing for the next week - I hate this:mad:

I should have known you have been threw this all in your mind already.

I love the way you summed it all up . Unfortunately without that potato sack image your comment seems inappropriate and actually offends me👀
Mods ! Mods !!! I need a ruling...
Just kiddin I fixed it.

Ha ha Kev ,
, Dew

Cmon now you’re making me hungry! Glad you got out....

Back
Top Bottom