Hunting in underbrush

CapeSailor

I often find myself in varying thicknesses of underbrush and wonder how the vets handle the environment?
Everyone can relate to driving down the road and wanting to pull over for an hour or two in an interesting area to look around. I call it bushwhacking.
Oftentimes the areas I want to explore are off the beaten path and have never seen a mower.
I'm not talking about bushes exactly but the scrub that grows from a few inches up to a foot. Seems to me, there are far more areas (and opportunities) in areas like this than in other more easily accessible and traveled areas.
Any thoughts, tips?

I usually don't hunt in brush, so I look for the strange open areas where there is none. If i had to, I would try to whack down the brush with my detector.

Brush is just too much time to dig, but on the other hand if was near a productive site then the extra time work would pay off...but as a rule no brush.

oj/bc

Hunting in brush

Thanks for the replies.
My "problem" is that I live on Cape Cod in Massachusetts which has been continuously settled since the VERY early 1600's, never mind Columbus and others also having landed & explored here.
There's just too much interesting land to blow off large swaths just because it's returned to a wild state.
I'm sure others have encountered overgrown areas that were just too appealing to pass up.
Yes, I could probably get permission to go in with a saw bladed WeedWhacker type machine but I'm hoping to avoid a huge production like that.
You can't throw a rock around here without it falling on an old homestead, racetrack, post road or gathering place.
There may be no easy answers but I'm thinking this is the best place to ask.

I don't know about the experts but I hate it but still do it. Today I was on my knees for half the hunt. It just got cool enough for me to feel assured the snakes are underground and I'll get in there.

You can shove a 5-6" sniper coil into spots too tight to swing with a larger coil...definitely move any logs and branches, cut stuff with a machete, do whatever it takes if the place is worth hunting...and in your location it probably is:yes:

iu

I hit the brush this time of year so the grass and small twigs are brittle and I stomp it as I go. I'm also using my 5x8 coil to get between the ones I can't stomp flat. Make sure you don't have metal on your shoes or it slows you down a lot more than the brush.

If you mean underbrush as in the bushes that grow within the woods, I do hunt beneath them. I pull the lower stem from the deus and crawl under on my hands and knees. I carry a pair of hand pruners with me to trim enough room to work should I have a signal in a tight place. The pruners also work well on smaller roots. I generally tire of this rather quickly and crawl out to hunt a place where I can stand up. I go back and cover a little more ground each time, keeping in mind that great things have been found in the area surrounding the brush I hunt in. I would not do this in an area I did not know for sure had historic activity.

You should have the right gear for this type of hunting. I hunt in Duluth firehose cargo pants with kneepads inside the knees. Strap on pads will snag on things crawling through this type of brush. I also spray my pants, socks, sweatshirt and hat with sawyer premrethin for ticks and it works well.

Good luck and HH

It's not easy, vines are the worst. Wait until fall and winter when the undergrowth starts to die off...

This ^ plus if you know you're in a good location what I do is stomp the grass down and walk and swing backwards. Slow going but you can get through it as long as the grass and shrubs are small enough to stomp flat. Good luck.

Hunting in brush

Lot's of good tips and ideas though there's probably a local ordinance against using a flame thrower. SO provincial...
I really appreciate everyone's tips and opinions. You've given me much to mull over and experiment with.
Thanks for sharing your expertise.

I hunt like that from time to time.. mostly for CW relics. I found going wireless is best for those areas. They keep you from getting tangled up in the brush. That was the main reason for cutting the cord.

This may not work if your brush is too thick, but this works in high grass. I have a 4'x4' piece of 3/8" plywood that I lay on the high grass to flatten it. Detect that area then flip the board and detect the next 4' square of ground. Hope this helps.

If you do mess around with underbrush watch out for snakes or other critters that like to hide, you don't want any unexpected surprises :shock: :lol:

If you do mess around with underbrush watch out for snakes or other critters that like to hide, you don't want any unexpected surprises :shock: :lol:

Good reminder, plus be extra careful of signs of old water wells.
A few weeks ago came across a small opening but very deep uncovered well.
It was a death trap I covered it up with heavy branches. I can honestly say if fell in it would of been lights out.

Back
Top Bottom