Cast iron whatchamacallit

wichita mike

Dug this item last month off the beach in Cape Canaveral about a half mile so of the jetties. At first I thought it was a bell, turns out it was more bell shaped. After cleaning an inch or 2 of buildup, (took a week) this appeared.

It weighs in at just under 12 lbs.,has a hole rotted through in a spot. Most of the casting numbers are gone. Just curious as to what it once was.

Attachments

• 100_0334.jpg
    100_0334.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 560
  • 100_0338.jpg
    100_0338.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 512
  • 100_0336.jpg
    100_0336.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 503
  • 100_0335.jpg
    100_0335.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 506
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it does have the look of a Dozer tooth, BUT I don't think so.
The attachment point is on the side of the "tooth" in relation to the angle of the tip of the "tooth".
I think it is some sort of conveyor bucket.

It is NOT a finger for a backhoe or trackhoe. The fingers for backhoes and trackhoes are NOT called a tooth or teeth. They are called fingers.

They don't bite they grab.

They are called Teeth industry wide in the US. They are secured to a Shank via a lock pin which in turn is welded to a cutting edge which is welded to the bucket. If I had a penny for every one I had replaced I could buy myself another detector.
The only ones I have seen on a Dozier were on root rakes, not blades.
Backhoes and front end loaders are what I'm most familiar with.
I drove my first dozier in 1948 when I was 8 years sold. EX-Military Clark Aire which were air dropped in WW II. Weighed two tons with a blade 60" wide. My oldest Brother was in the Glider.Corp in WW II.
Marvin
EDIT TO ADD--It should be Steel and Not Cast as cast would break easy.
http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_ca1.php
Clark CA-1 Airborne Tractor

The Clarkair Crawler Model CA-1 tractor was developed by the Clark Equipment Co. for the U.S. Army during World War II. It was small enough to load onto a glider or cargo aircraft for transport to forward locations where the CA1 was used to construct landing strips or other facilities.

Call it what ever ya want. It goes on a ripper and is pulled thru the ground behind dozer. Da Industry seems to like to refer to them as teeth so I guess I'm happy with that.
images.jpg
Oh and tha attachment holes also look the same........:roll:

If you look at Wichita Mikes original post
There is no way this will work for a Tooth/Finger for a Dozer or Backhoe.
The last picture in the first post shows the attachment on the side of the "Tooth".
This would cause it to lever off of the bucket.

If you look at all of the examples shown (#7 wvdave107 -#10&14 beshires1) for a tooth they are all attached with a pin going through the Tooth.
There are no holes through the sides of Wichita Mikes relic.
His attaches with a sort of cam on the side of the top.

This is a pretty big piece.
I still feel it is a bucket for some sort of conveyor.

If you look at Wichita Mikes original post
There is no way this will work for a Tooth/Finger for a Dozer or Backhoe.
The last picture in the first post shows the attachment on the side of the "Tooth".
This would cause it to lever off of the bucket.

If you look at all of the examples shown (#7 wvdave107 -#10&14 beshires1) for a tooth they are all attached with a pin going through the Tooth.
There are no holes through the sides of Wichita Mikes relic.
His attaches with a sort of cam on the side of the top.

This is a pretty big piece.
I still feel it is a bucket for some sort of conveyor.

Not sure on the conveyor bucket, but I agree it's not from a bucket. Virtually every on e of them I've seen or just googled had a hole for a retention pin. Plus it not solid on the end, it would not last, thereby defeating the purpose. These teeth are a wear item, and I've been in shops when they are replacing these teeth, I'm pretty sure this in not one.

Back
Top Bottom