• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How do you approach a Civil War battle site?

k2gleaner

Elite Member
Getting a chance to detect an area where a civil war skirmish occurred. I have an AT Pro. The site has probably been hunted a fair bit or a lot. It's not a secret. Would you suggest I start out in Pro all with zero discrimination?

How do various Civil War artifacts ring up? does a cannonball give a high tone like I often get with big chunks of steel? Due to its shape, a civil war buckle should or could give a signal that varies by a few numbers on the vdi and possibly show a variation in depth depending on how it is situated underground.

Since it's been hunted pretty good I'm sure, I don't want to exclude the chance at finding a single artifact. While I dream of a belt buckle or artillery shell, I sure would hate to miss the Civil War bullets or buttons because I'm passing over them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

For my Civil War and Colonial spots, I run Pro - Zero with 1 notch shy of max sensitivity. My areas have no modern garbage to speak of, so it makes things a bit easier. As far as ranges, minie balls and round balls bounce from lows 40s to 80s depending on their position in the ground. My artillery shell fragments rang up loud as iron signals. I still tend to dig anything, because at times I had a small iron sound and thought it was a nail, dug it and found it was a button. So all the digs are worth it to me, even the nails kind of reassure me that I am in an old area and not into modern garbage or campsites. Also, removing the nails and reveal a better signal underneath.

For my Civil War and Colonial spots, I run Pro - Zero with 1 notch shy of max sensitivity...Also, removing the nails and reveal a better signal underneath.

Thanks, Emu. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but I thank you for doing so quickly! I read your post in the field after digging my first 10 targets - TIN.

Struck out for the most part that day although I have one or two doo-dads to share for ID. Nothing that screams "Civil War" at all, though.

I've found a good amount of civil war stuff with the AT Pro. I would run it wide open and discriminate nothing. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom