When Do Friends Become Family?

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
I met my best friend in 1970, I just turned 6 and he was turning 3. Fast forward 10 years and we started to get close in high school, ever since it's been me and him. I was invited to every bar-b-que his family his family had. In the summer we would go to my sisters house in Vermont and then camp a few days. His daughter calls me uncle. We consider each other brothers, since I haven't talked to my real brother in a year it's good to have another one.

You get to choose friends, you don't choose family, but you hope family can be as friends also.

Friends usually are friends because of similar interests, sometimes family members don't share the same interests as you, but they are still family.

My wife is my best friend. Then my dog is next. :D

You get to choose friends, you don't choose family, but you hope family can be as friends also.

Friends usually are friends because of similar interests, sometimes family members don't share the same interests as you, but they are still family.

My wife is my best friend. Then my dog is next. :D

.......Yep what he said.

Reflecting back...Sometimes you choose your friends, and sometimes they choose you....Its nice to have a friend who is slightly better than you are at things...even keeled, steady, not apt to get in trouble, good at fixing things...Somebody who helps a fellow become a better person and not the other way around...

My one good Buddy and me are complete opposites, we met at work, 25yrs of travel, and between the two of us there was nothing that couldnt be done..We had each others backs and helped each other succeed in Life and Family...He is a much better Man, and I am the better for it.......reminds me of a poem written and posted by a Detectorist back on 1/27/12 Guys name is John L (Rusty) Smith...

Jake and Jim

My Grandpap was a sharecropper, he lived on a sharecrop farm. He worked the fields all his life raised a family through the strength of his arm.

Most farmers have a team of mules or horses to pull the plow, Grandpap had only one of each but he used them anyhow.

Jake the Horse worked on the right was getting on in years. A big all purpose Jack of All like those used by Pioneers. Jim the Mule was younger, worked on the left you see, provided the strength of this working team chained to the doubletree...

Together they worked, side by side through all of their trying times, pulling wagons and plows and harrows and such while Grandpap worked the lines. Never apart did these two work, they only worked as a team! Jake on the right to make the speed, and Jim to make the steam!

One day the years caught up with Jake, he was old and sick and weak, so Grandpap decided to use Jim the mule, because of his grand physique.
But Jim would not move out of the stall and leave Jake standing there alone, Grandpap had to whip and tug to get Jim out on his own.

He led him out to the barnyard, and hooked him up to the rake, but when he tried to make him work, he stood like he wasnt awake? He finally moved but wouldnt go straight, though Grandpap pulled hard on the reins. He couldnt control or make him work, so he unhitched the chains...

He led Jim over to the barn and checked him from stem to stern, then...shaking his head, walked up to the house to tell Grandma what he just learned....This is the reason he told her, why Jim wouldnt leave Jake behind, they only worked as a TEAM you see...'

'Cause Jim the Mule was blind...

Last edited:
Reflecting back...Sometimes you choose your friends, and sometimes they choose you....Its nice to have a friend who is slightly better than you are at things...even keeled, steady, not apt to get in trouble, good at fixing things...Somebody who helps a fellow become a better person and not the other way around...

My one good Buddy and me are complete opposites, we met at work, 25yrs of travel, and between the two of us there was nothing that couldnt be done..We had each others backs and helped each other succeed in Life and Family...He is a much better Man, and I am the better for it.......reminds me of a poem written and posted by a Detectorist back on 1/27/12 Guys name is John L (Rusty) Smith...

Jake and Jim

My Grandpap was a sharecropper, he lived on a sharecrop farm. He worked the fields all his life raised a family through the strength of his arm.

Most farmers have a team of mules or horses to pull the plow, Grandpap had only one of each but he used them anyhow.

Jake the Horse worked on the right was getting on in years. A big all purpose Jack of All like those used by Pioneers. Jim the Mule was younger, worked on the left you see, provided the strength of this working team chained to the doubletree...

Together they worked, side by side through all of their trying times, pulling wagons and plows and harrows and such while Grandpap worked the lines. Never apart did these two work, they only worked as a team! Jake on the right to make the speed, and Jim to make the steam!

One day the years caught up with Jake, he was old and sick and weak, so Grandpap decided to use Jim the mule, because of his grand physique.
But Jim would not move out of the stall and leave Jake standing there alone, Grandpap had to whip and tug to get Jim out on his own.

He led him out to the barnyard, and hooked him up to the rake, but when he tired to make him work, he stood like he wasnt awake? He finally moved but wouldnt go straight, though Grandpap pulled hard on the reins. He couldnt control or make him work, so he unhitched the chains...

He led Jim over to the barn and checked him from stem to stern, then...shaking his head, walked up to the house to tell Grandma what he just learned....This is the reason he told her, why Jim wouldnt leave Jake behind, they only worked as a TEAM you see...'

'Cause Jim the Mule was blind...

Nice story Mud.. good read

right... think the movie Goodfellas

Well..I was thinking more like Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo in "Just Like Heaven"...She was in a coma ya see, and he was a lonely Widower, he rented her apartment, and she haunted him, they fell in Love, and Marks lifelong pal Jack helped him move her body for to save her from being taken off Life Support by her Family...Jack went above and beyond there...

..."Goodfellas" friendship?...digging up that one rotten guy your buddy killed in the bar on account of a minor verbal insult?? Loudmouth and going off half cocked all the time? Unpredictable Joe Pesci? These are the kinds of friends a guy dont need...trust me..I've had a few....:laughing:

Last edited:
Reminds me of the saying -
A friend bails you out of jail.
A good friend is in jail with you saying "Well, that was FUN!"

Back
Top Bottom