Great research for demolition sites:

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Hey gang, in each state, there exists outfits known as "Builders Exchange". These serve the purpose to be the "posting place" for public works jobs out-to-bid. You know, to get competing bids, create a level playing field for the advertisements seeking-bids, etc... So they're like a one-stop shopping for construction contractors to see all bids, blueprints, plans, RFP's, etc... Instead of having to go to each various city, county, state, and federal offices to track down RFPs, see plans, etc..

Not sure about other states, but here in CA it's $450-ish per year. And an added $200 to see the whole state (versus just my geographic 3 or 4 county area of my part of the state). Thus $650 to start, and something like $450 per year thereafter annually.

So some examples: If a city is going to tear-out/demolish downtown sidewalks, to replace with new walks, this would be out to bid. With a membership you'd see exact blueprints of the plans, know various dates, etc.. Or if a park is going to undergo installation of synthetic turf on their athletic fields (where you'd want to be there when the tractors scrape off existing old turf), that might be a project you can read about.

The password/membership allows you to do key word searches, like "turf" + "park". Or "Sidewalk" + "demolish". Or "streetscape" and so forth. Naturally you get scores of un-related hits with nothing up your alley (simply because they contain some of those words). So you spend a lot of time weeding out modern places, or word hits with nothing to do with something to benefit md'ing.

But occasionally you find an upcoming gem.

I got this idea because MORE THAN A FEW TIMES I have been driving through some podunk little town, and can see that all their old-town walks are fresh (a year or two old at tops). And I think to myself: "Gee, I wonder if anyone got onto this when the old walks were ripped out?" and "Gee I'd have GLADLY driven the hour here to have hunted this".

Now you can get advance notice of such things.

Now thats great info Tom! I was wondering about the Habitat for Humanity builds too? Some of my best finds have been hunting those Hab house builds...just by tripping across them accidental on my daily forays afield..

But I was thinking...If a fellow knew where and when, it would sure shorten up the process and help a guy schedule sites...since these are volunteer, a guy just rolls up and gives the place a quick sweep looking for the 'gas lines and curbstops'..nobody says dink...

So a list of Hab site builds might be available as well? Probably for free even...

$995 a year for membership for the one I found serving Virginia.
Looks like I need to make a friend in the construction business! Good tip.

Back
Top Bottom