Found this on my Second Time Out

nd23rin

Hi All-

I have posted this on another site and nobody knows so far what it is. I found it on only my second time out with my detector. I use a V3i and found this about 6.5 inches deep in my own backyard. Any ideas??

Thanks

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 401
Yeah, I live near Harrisburg, PA so not too far from Gettysburg. There was a skirmish fought about 1/4 mile from my house (Battle of Sporting Hill). I'm not sure about this though. Can't seem to find anything online that looks similar. The shield is pretty common on anything from 1780 to 1880. The arrangement of the stars however is sort of unique to most I see online.

Interesting. I'd say it's a historic item with the old stars and stripes shield. I have no idea however. Maybe a cavalry horse's breastcollar plate?

Trying to picture it's use on a lawn Keith.....

Yeah it's cool, just wish I had some idea of what is was. I am going to keep searching out there. There may very well be more stuff around it!

It's an early Union shield for a start. I'm trying to figure out what it's on top of for you. Does resemble a spear head. Perhaps for a standard bearer's flag? I'll keep searching and see if I can help more.

I cant see how it would fit with a flag. The other side is identical, and the piece itself has about a 30 degree curve to it. There are signs of a piece that broke off of the top.

I believe it's possible it was a grave floral arrangement ornament, military associated..
Sonny

Back
Top Bottom