need help "indian stone needle or stone awl"

apaininmyglass

I have found at least six of these stone items lately while mding and digging. I have found eight arrow heads around this site also but I can't find any information on these stone items. I did see a post on T-net with this same item but no one could give an answer. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 474
  • a2.JPG
    a2.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 464
Three possibilities come to mind: Stone needles, bobbins or ornaments.

I could see them used to thread sinew through hide, hold wrapped cording or sinew, or dangling from neck cords as earrings, pendants, or possibly even through ears, nose or cheek as a piercing.

They are too blunt to be needles used to pierce hide. Another possibility would be loom bobbins used to hold different colored weft threads.

I think those are very early pencils. I have seen them at old schools that have been redid. I also hunt one room school houses and have several myself.

Hrmmmm, I have seen many native pendants that attach similar but it is very odd you found so many that are similar. May be something else.

pencil??

Tater, that was my very first thought but the fact when I tried to write with them they left no markings at all. If they were made of carbon then it would at least mark on paper. After looking very closely I discovered they were made of stone.

Back
Top Bottom