Detecting boat launches

Knight451

Just wondering if anyone has ever given unimproved boat launches a try? I am headed up north and there is a launch down the way from my in-laws place that I am going to check while I am up there. It has been in use for quite a while so hopefully something good pops up. I will post the results after I get back. HH.

Never tried it, but it sounds like a GREAT idea! I've seen guys lose their tackle box, a buddy lost his watch; who knows what esle. Good luck! Curt

I've hit a few of them. Found an earring once but other than that a few sinkers and some clad. Oh, and pull tabs of course :p

I have fished several fresh water boat ramps. My MD also can allow me to walk about 1 or 2 feet in the water. Its a bit tricky to dig up the sand which causes a cloud which you have to wait a few seconds to see if you have moved your metal item. I have not found any rings but seems to find lots of pennies, copper mechanic type hardware, lots of tabs, lots of flatten wine and whisky bottle tops that can read as silver and a few lures. People getting in and leaving canoes is good area. BUT if the weather is good, Its GREAT to relax there too. The fish come right up to you. Once saw a snake swim away. I go a few times this summer and enjoy it. Nice diversion from dirt fishing.

I'm figuring the water is going to be about 40-50 degrees. I'm not sure how keen I'm going to be on wading after spending the day in water pulling piers, but you never know. The area where I am going was a heavy logging area so the possibilities of good finds in the middle of nowhere is fairly likely, I would think. If nothing else, it gives me a reason to wander around the north woods with no real agenda:grin:. Have a great weekend everyone.

Yes I have tried it at several PWA's (public water access) and only found pull tabs and beer cans and none of them old but thats not to say there's nothing good I just haven't found it yet.
Dave :viking:

Back
Top Bottom