Lost wedding band

Sprnklr1

Hi family, I am an irrigation contractor in south Florida. My wedding ring slipped off while repairing a sprinkler pipe. The ring is 18k. The depth could be up to. 24". The soil is wet sand. In close proximity there is cable tv,phone lines and electric utility lines. I would like some recommendations for a user friendly , beginner metal detector. After this adventure it would mostly be used to locate galvanized wells or property marker pins. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ,Jim

It would be impossible with a low cost detector to find much of anything near electrical lines due to the emi. Sorry. Also most detectors wont go more than 10 to 12 inches down.:no:

Depends on how close the EMI is, but I'd for sure get a detector with a DD coil, like an Garrett ACE 350 or a Fisher F2. Try renting a White's from a local White's dealer maybe Most White's dealers are highly knowledgeable and accommodating. Explain your situation to 'em and see what they think.

The only thing that will get that deep is a two box detector, but the utility lines will drive it crazy, and a two box won't resolve something as small as a ring anyway.

As fortune would have it I will be re-excavating the same location next week. I would like to try a locater as I dig and also as I back fill the site. I would need to purchase/rent something to have ready. I am trying to avoid buying a piece of !!!!. At the same time I don't have a couple grand laying around either.
Practical and affordable.

If you are going to be excavating the ENTIRE area that it was possibly lost in, you should be able to find the ring with any basic detector. Fisher F2 or Ace250 are probably what most people would suggest. I like my 250 just fine but I have never used it in wet sand. Dump your sand on one of those blue tarp things and spread it around away from the electrical lines? I don't know how much sand you are dealing with so maybe that wouldn't be realistic. At any rate, anything you do will take a lot longer than just digging and filling like you would normally do so hopefully you can take your time on this job. Good luck!

You may want to try:
http://www.lostmystuff.net/

Could find an experienced detectorist to help you find it. Would save you having to buy a detector and you could offer a reward if found?

My 2 cents worth.

Jeff

+1. Advertise on CraigsList for an experienced detectorist to help. a small reward for finding the ring would be less than the cost of renting or buying a low cost detector.

Hi family, I am an irrigation contractor in south Florida. My wedding ring slipped off while repairing a sprinkler pipe. The ring is 18k. The depth could be up to. 24". The soil is wet sand. In close proximity there is cable tv,phone lines and electric utility lines. I would like some recommendations for a user friendly , beginner metal detector. After this adventure it would mostly be used to locate galvanized wells or property marker pins. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ,Jim

Whereabouts in South Florida are you located?

I'd definitely file a report with Lost My Stuff (www.lostmystuff.net). I'm sure if we have a volunteer in your area somone would be glad to help!

+2 on Lost My Stuff. I would also "Call Before You Dig" to mark cable tv, phone lines and electric utility lines. Any chance the utility lines can be deenergized? Would help detect also. Best of Luck.

Back
Top Bottom