#12 on Equinox

graybeard

Elite Member
The ID # 12 on the Equinox 800, is it a piece of a beaver tail pull tab,small a piece of a can, shotgun shell brass, 32 cal. brass or maybe a nickel? I have it ID # 12 on every one of them in a park.

Dig them, I've found several old nickels that were a solid 12. You're right about the beaver tails though, they are plentiful around here.

Dig them, I've found several old nickels that were a solid 12. You're right about the beaver tails though, they are plentiful around here.

Bingo.
Old deeper nickels may read 10 and 11 sometimes. One thing thoughI like to see when I see a 10 or 11signal is to see the suspect target be very coil position sensitive and or sweep speed sensitive. Clues for deeper nonferous. Some times though user will get the shaft by something like a 22 rifle bullet.

Is there a detector out there that guarantees 100% it's a nickel on the TID? Every machine I own it's a roll the dice type thing. Sometimes your rewarded for digging. Sometimes not so much. I dig every #12-13 in yards. In trashy places I must admit I don't unless I happen to catch a 12-13 that is deeper. I got my best V nickel ever out of a yard Sunday with my Nox 800.

Attachments

• V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 465
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 499
Is there a detector out there that guarantees 100% it's a nickel on the TID? Every machine I own it's a roll the dice type thing. Sometimes your rewarded for digging. Sometimes not so much. I dig every #12-13 in yards. In trashy places I must admit I don't unless I happen to catch a 12-13 that is deeper. I got my best V nickel ever out of a yard Sunday with my Nox 800.

Nice one.
Anyone who thinks they are getting all nickels in places with fbs/fbs2 Detectors (just digging nickel ID signals) ,,,I’ve got some beachfront property in Az for sale.

I see everyone here say their nickels read 12-13
Mine do "sometimes" but more often (like 90%) they read 11-12 and 12-13 (10%) ..could be my soil.. don't know..

but the tail of a beaver tail reads the same.. A full beaver tail reads 16 for me

same without the tail.

I have often wondered why others are getting different numbers.

I can usually tell it's a nickel if when switching frequency it will be a little bit scratchier when it is a nickel but back to multi and 11-12

Gold on the other hand in those ranges reads usually one solid number and not very jumpy.

I have found one 14k wedding band 7 (grams)at 18
1 14K (3.6 grams) at 11
1 gold tooth crown 3.6 grams at 16
2 Gold nuggets 5 grams each at 16

so who the heck knows.. :?:

If it sounds good DIG IT !!

I see everyone here say their nickels read 12-13
Mine do "sometimes" but more often (like 90%) they read 11-12 and 12-13 (10%) ..could be my soil.. don't know..

but the tail of a beaver tail reads the same.. A full beaver tail reads 16 for me

same without the tail.

I have often wondered why others are getting different numbers.

I can usually tell it's a nickel if when switching frequency it will be a little bit scratchier when it is a nickel but back to multi and 11-12

Gold on the other hand in those ranges reads usually one solid number and not very jumpy.

I have found one 14k wedding band 7 (grams)at 18
1 14K (3.6 grams) at 11
1 gold tooth crown 3.6 grams at 16
2 Gold nuggets 5 grams each at 16

so who the heck knows.. :?:

If it sounds good DIG IT !!

Sounds like good advice.

Best nickel ID machine.....A Sovereign with a 180 meter.

Using an Equinox?

The best way to dig nickels? Dig all 12 and 13 signals until you get to a magic number like 7 of them. Stop digging them. The next time you hunt the site.....dig 7 more.

Allow the ground to heal. Save yourself some aggravation.

According to Clive's book the small ID scale was done on purpose for the Equinox. There is a reason for it. A nice book filled with info.

I will say one thing about the Equinox .......it hits nickels very very hard and deep. No other multi frequency Minelab will hit them harder. A very good detector for low conductors. Digging the low signals will open your eyes to great and valuable finds.

I'm not sure how the Nox is, but I've noticed that the Etrac will have a more "mellow" pinpoint audio when pinpointing a nickel. When I pinpoint on a pulltab, or some other piece of aluminum, the pinpoint audio has a very high pitch to it.

I dig all "solid" nickel signals with the Etrac. To me, that is a stable ID as I make a circle around the target. Almost 90% of the time, if I pinpoint the target and it makes that high pitched squeal, it's a pulltab or some sort of aluminum trash. On the other hand, if I poinpoint the target and it has that mellow pinpoint sound, 90% of the time it's a nickel or some other non-aluminum target.

Does the Nox behave this way?

Yes

The ID # 12 on the Equinox 800, is it a piece of a beaver tail pull tab,small a piece of a can, shotgun shell brass, 32 cal. brass or maybe a nickel? I have it ID # 12 on every one of them in a park.

YES,YES AND YES. But if you listen the tone will be much smoother on a nickel. I've had those targets all Id at 12. Last Sunday I had a zincoln Id 12-13. I thought maybe there was a nickel in the hole with it but as I ran it across the coil I got a solid 12-13. On that same hunt on one pass in about 125 ft, between trees I went 5 for 5 on nickels including two Buffs. The Buff signals did drop down a little and gave an 11 - even 10 once or twice. most were 4 in. down or better. Overall 10 nickels on the day. I did and do get fooled by beaver tails and those round aluminum tabs from energy drinks. Also the pull part of the tab shows up at 13.Full beaver tails come in at 15-16. One thing I have noticed is if your getting a good 12-13 and meter says its deep and your pinpointer is picking it up its usually a small chard or part of a pulltab. Also when you turn 90 on it bad targets seem to scratch and pop. My hearing is not the best so Most times I dig all 12-13s unless I'm in a super trashy area. Pinpointing seems to modulate with depth pretty well but most times I just wiggle and dig. Good luck and HH Mark

All my nickels have been from 11-13. Depends on the soil, depth, condition of the coin, and how its sitting in the ground. Also in that full spectrum ive dug every type of pull tab and junk aluminum and foil, but cant pass up that signal. Gold is a lurking lol

I'm no expert by any means and I dig my fair share of trash in that zone, but to me nickels seem to have more of a solid "round sound" than can slaw, beaver tails, and a lot of other trash items that ring up in the same ID range. Like I said, I still get fooled fairly often.. but most of the time when I'm actually on a nickel, my pre-dig confidence level is pretty high. Also, nickels tend to give a solid signal even at depth while pull tabs and can slaw tend to break up and become choppy the further away they are from the coil.

From what I've seen, deeper nickels tend to ring in at 11 in multi. Even seen some of them as low as 10. So if you're only digging 12s and 13s you're probably missing a few older deeper ones!

I'm no expert by any means and I dig my fair share of trash in that zone, but to me nickels seem to have more of a solid "round sound" than can slaw, beaver tails, and a lot of other trash items that ring up in the same ID range. Like I said, I still get fooled fairly often.. but most of the time when I'm actually on a nickel, my pre-dig confidence level is pretty high. Also, nickels tend to give a solid signal even at depth while pull tabs and can slaw tend to break up and become choppy the further away they are from the coil.

From what I've seen, deeper nickels tend to ring in at 11 in multi. Even seen some of them as low as 10. So if you're only digging 12s and 13s you're probably missing a few older deeper ones!

Agreed. I have been getting better at recognizing that little crackle at the end of the junk signals, but still dig em to entertain my inner regret of missing something cool. I’ve found some neat pins, buttons, and junk jewelry in that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold dollar is a solid nickel signal so anybody on an old spot without much modern trash is a fool not to dig it all. Most of my old fields have nothing but iron left in them. Most of the cobs and other early silver I have found rings in the zinc range or lower

Back
Top Bottom