Not another musket ball!

davekane

http://sites.google.com/site/beachdetecting/home/finds
Spent the morning at the beach, last month at the low tides I found a lead ball which was thought to be a musket ball. This month I found eleven lead balls and a 1797 penny. This coupled with a bit of research about the beach were in 1795 the Prince of Wales reviewed 13 Regiments stationed in the area watched by 60,000 people on the beach I feel justified now in officially declaring that the lead balls are musket balls. The 1797 penny is in very poor condition but is a coin which can be recognised by it's thick rim.
I also found another load of WW1-WW2 bullets and two pennies 1920 and 1936 also found a Mini ball.
Other items were a key a round grey piece of metal which I first thought was going to be a silver coin but it was not. A buckle a load of fishing weights and a fossil (eyes only find.)

So the next big thing is to wait for the sand to get blown away in the winter because it should follow that having found all these musket balls spread about the same area of the beach if I detect from there up the beach for a couple of hundred yards I should get to where the soldiers fired their muskets and who knows there may be badges and buttons to find.

There's a military museum just opened near the beach so on my way home I popped in and asked if they would like some of the musket balls and bullets they seemed really pleased with my contribution to their display so next time I go I think I'll offer them the coins.

Nice hunt, Dave. Thanks for the story and pics.

Getting "locked up" with a museum may turn out to be a very nice thing.

Great story. looks like you have a real good spot to hunt. Like RickO said about your connection to the Museum, it could open more doors for you and other folks to detect in your area. Good Luck, Jim

Back
Top Bottom