• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Shaft options for stavr scoops

jtb2017

Elite Member
I'm at a loss here. Using fiberglass shovel handles...failed. 3 times.

So on with carbon fiber. I had 1.25" cf with a wooden dowel the entire length.

It snapped last night. I know when I did it too. It snapped on a deep scoop but probably got cracked on something I could not pry up. I gave up quick so it's suprizing.

I'm thinking of trying wooden poles from Home Depot. Probably gonna suck because when it breaks it will be a pain to extract from the basket.

It's the m-9 scoop. It's awesome. Just can't seem to get a good shaft. The cf one lasted about 15 hunts max...maybe 10.

Hh gl -Joe

If you switch to wood you will definitely feel the weight difference.. any way you can ram your broken cf shaft into 1 of those fiberglass shafts? Just fill it up with gorilla glue to bond them. You should be able to find a way to reuse the cf shaft

If you switch to wood you will definitely feel the weight difference.. any way you can ram your broken cf shaft into 1 of those fiberglass shafts? Just fill it up with gorilla glue to bond them. You should be able to find a way to reuse the cf shaft

I think this is gonna be another trip to Home Depot. I have another shaft...but if one failed another might. Even if I used a stainless tube it will bend. It's the rocks. Lol the rocks are killing me. Hh gl -Joe

I think this is gonna be another trip to Home Depot. I have another shaft...but if one failed another might. Even if I used a stainless tube it will bend. It's the rocks. Lol the rocks are killing me. Hh gl -Joe

I used a stainless steel a couple of years ago. Can't remember how thick but no chance of bending it. Finally got rid of it because of the weight. If your not target laden this might be your best bet

Holy cr@p! I've been using the same fiberglass handle for nearly two years. I dig in the rocks when we have the rare occasion, but haven't broken a handle yet. When you break a CF tube, I'm out of ideas other than... do they make solid 1.25" CF rods?

Sucks to be you! :laughing:

R5

I'm at a loss here. Using fiberglass shovel handles...failed. 3 times.

So on with carbon fiber. I had 1.25" cf with a wooden dowel the entire length.

It snapped last night. I know when I did it too. It snapped on a deep scoop but probably got cracked on something I could not pry up. I gave up quick so it's suprizing.

I'm thinking of trying wooden poles from Home Depot. Probably gonna suck because when it breaks it will be a pain to extract from the basket.

It's the m-9 scoop. It's awesome. Just can't seem to get a good shaft. The cf one lasted about 15 hunts max...maybe 10.

Hh gl -Joe

That sucks Joe, did you aline the grain of the wooden dowel to the scoop?

I hunt in rocks too with an ash handle but take it easy with the big stuff some rocks are just too big to handle for any scoop. Trying to use a scoop like a pry bar is looking for trouble something has to give. The way I look at it its better to have a handle go than distort or break the scoop. And I'm using the smaller 30mm tube so my handle is even smaller.
I've got to where I know how much weight to put on the scoop without stressing it or the handle too much. Some big rocks I have to dig around them a bit more before they will move.

The best way to fit the handle into the tube is using electrical tape. I wrap the tape around the bottom end of the handle so it just fits in the tube then wrap some more tape around where the handle exits the tube so it jams in real tight. I then wrap tape around the outside of the join to keep water out.
To remove just hit it with a heat gun or hair dryer and it loosens up easily.

I also have a big cup hook to screw into the broken end of the handle to help extract it but haven't broken a handle in just under three years knock on wood :lol:
Hope you get something that works on those rocks :yes:

I used a stainless steel a couple of years ago. Can't remember how thick but no chance of bending it. Finally got rid of it because of the weight. If your not target laden this might be your best bet

I am gonna put off stainless for now for a while. I just dumped an all stainless design for this one. I can't go back to stainless yet lol. Even though it's looking like it might go that way. Hh Gl -Joe

Holy cr@p! I've been using the same fiberglass handle for nearly two years. I dig in the rocks when we have the rare occasion, but haven't broken a handle yet. When you break a CF tube, I'm out of ideas other than... do they make solid 1.25" CF rods?

Sucks to be you! :laughing:

R5

I don't think they make that. There is thicker cf material but. I am pretty sure that there isn't much more strength added. It's expensive too. I found a site that has it too. It does suck too lol I had about an hour more to hunt lay night when I heard the dreaded snap lol. Hh go -Joe

I had dowel in pretty good. The grain the same way. I'm gonna redo it and hopefully it will be ace. Lotta good ideas.

I think my biggest mistake is using it like a pry bar. I'll post a pic of the damage...looks like I beat up one side of it pretty good.

Hh gl -Joe

That sucks Joe, did you aline the grain of the wooden dowel to the scoop?

I hunt in rocks too with an ash handle but take it easy with the big stuff some rocks are just too big to handle for any scoop. Trying to use a scoop like a pry bar is looking for trouble something has to give. The way I look at it its better to have a handle go than distort or break the scoop. And I'm using the smaller 30mm tube so my handle is even smaller.
I've got to where I know how much weight to put on the scoop without stressing it or the handle too much. Some big rocks I have to dig around them a bit more before they will move.

The best way to fit the handle into the tube is using electrical tape. I wrap the tape around the bottom end of the handle so it just fits in the tube then wrap some more tape around where the handle exits the tube so it jams in real tight. I then wrap tape around the outside of the join to keep water out.
To remove just hit it with a heat gun or hair dryer and it loosens up easily.

I also have a big cup hook to screw into the broken end of the handle to help extract it but haven't broken a handle in just under three years knock on wood :lol:
Hope you get something that works on those rocks :yes:

The carnage...

Here's one pic of back I'm on my phone so it only uploads one if I can get more to work I will...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 168
I don't think they make that. There is thicker cf material but. I am pretty sure that there isn't much more strength added. It's expensive too. I found a site that has it too. It does suck too lol I had about an hour more to hunt lay night when I heard the dreaded snap lol. Hh go -Joe

They do make solid CF rods, but I haven't found one in that diameter. And the cost? The 1" x 48" is $144: https://www.acpsales.com/OnlineStore.php?cat=5275. Maybe it would fit inside a fiberglass tube?

R5

Last edited:
I can get solid cf shafts made to the correct diameter and 10ft long if you wanted.... the problem is delivery cost :D. When you put the dowel in did you bond it with the cf ? I'm guessing if you're really prying it wouldn't have made much difference.

Marine grade aluminum handle with assist handle

Has a hollow SS tube dowel pinned in the handle and bolted in the neck of the Stavr scoop. The welder specializes in making custom boat towers. The assist handle provides easy one hand control of the full scoop.

The other scoop is all aluminum and the hoop handle provides control in deep water.

These scoops are not heavy, they are actually counter balanced even with a full bucket.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 161
I bought a hoe a couple of years back and cut the lower part off. Then inserted a 2' hard wood dowel and calked the end of it. Ive not had any problems at all with mine. The end is sealed so it even floats. Here is a mod i did to mine. I found that small bolt hole is to far down and fiberglass will split when twisted and pulled on as much as we do. We have sand like concrete. Ive seen Gold Digger bend his scoop twice and break a handle or two in our sand. But he switched to this same handle and hasnt done any damage since that im aware of.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 151
Thanks for all the replys an ideas. I figured out one problem. My dowel was probably white pine. I'm a meatball for not knowing any better.

I seen scuff marks on it too. I know what I did an when.

Not 100% but I think I'm gonna try a solid oak dowel. Maybe a few other things too.

If that don't work I'm gonna have that stainless setup done to it.

I ran out of ideas tonight in time to go tonight :(.

I'll post fix when I get it done hopefully tomorrow. Maybe it's time to fix my backups too. Uhg. This is costing a lot lol.

Hh gl -Joe

Good to hear you figured it out, go with a hardwood dowel at the very least... The other thing is, and i'm sure you know this but i write it for any newbies who might read this, is when you sink the scoop in deep don't just hork back on it, ease it back before you pick it up. If you just hork back on it you can break or bend ANY handle...

I bought a hoe a couple of years back and cut the lower part off. Then inserted a 2' hard wood dowel and calked the end of it. Ive not had any problems at all with mine. The end is sealed so it even floats. Here is a mod i did to mine. I found that small bolt hole is to far down and fiberglass will split when twisted and pulled on as much as we do. We have sand like concrete. Ive seen Gold Digger bend his scoop twice and break a handle or two in our sand. But he switched to this same handle and hasnt done any damage since that im aware of.

Awe don't steal my thunder Dew,,,,:laughing:I am the one that turned you on to that handle and the dowel,,,,,and yes, after I snapped two or three others, this one has done the trick for me too,,,,,,I think I am over two years with the same one and at 15 bucks,,,,it aint bad,,,,,,GL HH

Darn cheap fix indeed Tim. BUT........i have to say nothing like your deer in the headlights look when you snapped a handle...... priceless.:laughing: You had Chuck worrying about his life time warranty.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom