Seated Liberties from an Old Mining Camp

Roff

I thought you guys might find this story interesting. It happened last July, before I joined this forum. Some of you may have seen it on the Findmall forum.
My son Dave, my buddy Mike, and I went to an old gold mining town a couple of hours from home. There are TONS of square nails and other ferrous trash, and lots of bullets of various ages, mostly very shallow. We hunted for about 7 hours, and the only thing I found worth keeping were 2 dimes. The 1850 was only about an inch deep. The 1860 was under about 3" of forest duff plus maybe a half inch of dirt.
Mike and Dave got skunked, if you don't count bullets and square nails.
A week later, Mike and I went back to the same place. We hunted again for about 7 hours, and the only keepers were this quarter and a barrel spigot. The spigot was basically in the same hole as the quarter, off to the side about 4 inches. There was also a 1" square of rusty sheet metal in the same hole, so the original signal was really confusing. The quarter was only down an inch or two. The spigot was about 4" down, partially under a buried rock.
Poor Mike got skunked again, but a couple of weeks later, we went back, and he got a target that ID'ed as a quarter. I watched him dig it, and when it turned up, we thought it was an aluminum slug, it was that worn. The only detail visible on the obverse side was a man's head in profile, and the last 2 digits of the date. We thought it read '96, but that made no sense, given that the town was built way before that, and abandoned after about 3 years. After looking at it with a magnifying glass, we concluded that the "9" was actually a very scrolly "2". The reverse side had no detail to speak of. When I got home, I looked in my red book, and there were no US quarters with that profile on it. I think I next checked Canadian coins, and finally found a match in the 1826 British shilling. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it to post.
We'll go back this summer after the snow melts (this is in the mountains). We have to find a way to break through the nails, cans, and other ferrous trash. We both tried switching to ferrous tones. It was helpful, I think, but we didn't find any coins that way. I bought my 8"X6"SEF coil since then. Maybe it will help.

Attachments

• 1850 dime.JPG
    1850 dime.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1,889
  • 1860 dime.JPG
    1860 dime.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,863
  • 1856 quarter.JPG
    1856 quarter.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,917
  • barrel spigot and quarter compressed.JPG
    barrel spigot and quarter compressed.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,847
Great seateds! It's one of my goals to get one this year. I've got several Barbers but a seated has eluded me. That 8x6 sef is a great coil in the trash...I always have mine close by.

That sounds like a great site. Sure the finds may be few and far between, but it seems like it's almost a guarantee that the goodies will be from the 1800's. Good luck if you get back there. Keep us posted.

Man you got to go the mountains AND find those? That sounds like a fantastic vacation to me! Nice job.
I guess you have to get into west Texas to find mountains, huh? Here in Boise, were on the edge of the desert, but there are nice evergreen forests less than an hour's drive from the city.

Nice catches. But if it was a mining camp in use for only 3 years, I wonder how much stuff is really there? Did miners carry much coin back in the 1850's? I can't imagine there would be much to spend it on.

Beautiful finds, congratulations! I hope over the summer you pull more from there!

Other targets?

What kind of detectors did Dave and Mike use?

Did you old dig silver-ish targets? If so maybe you should be less selective. Wait you did say that they dug bullets, those are midrange on VDI like Nickles and Gold. A lot of people dig all including Iron on old sites.

What kind of detectors did Dave and Mike use?

Did you old dig silver-ish targets? If so maybe you should be less selective. Wait you did say that they dug bullets, those are midrange on VDI like Nickles and Gold. A lot of people dig all including Iron on old sites.
Mike was using an Etrac. Dave had borrowed Mike's X-Terra 70.
We considered digging all targets, and I did sample a few iron ones, but I was just getting square nails and rusty pieces of cans and sheet metal, for the most part. We did wind up with a couple of mule shoes. Square nails were ubiquitous. In conductive mode, with iron mask on, I could swing for probably 10 feet sometimes and never hear the threshold tone (blanked). I think ferrous is the way to go when we return.

"I can't imagine there would be much to spend it on."

As I recall, from reading about the Yukon and '49 gold rushes, miners were just about always at the mercy of merchants, alcohol sellers, snake oil salesmen and whatever enterprising opportunist could find their way into the camps. Makeshift communities were founded almost over night and were just as easy packed up for green grasses when the gold and luck petered out.

Imagine paying three dollars for a loaf of bread and a dollar for a chicken egg, gold rush miners had to pay through the nose and if they didn't have the coin or gold, they did without!

Another thing to keep in mind is, many, if not most, gold rush miners were not miners by trade, but were people whom wanted a piece of the golden pie for themselves.

This included folks that were farmers, sailors, business men, sons of well to do families seeking their own fortune, the rich, the poor and anyone else that believed their riches were only a shovelful of dirt away.

They came from around the world and many of them stayed on after the gold was gone and settled the wild places of America.

Those are some nice seated coins. Congrats on them and way to be persistent when digging those trashy spots! it pays off!

I passed so many of these places hunting (for birds) and now that Im more into the MDing thing I kick myself for not swinging in those places! Looks like I could have been passing up some really awesome finds, congrats!

Back
Top Bottom