Another for the pile

meggie

Elite Member
Hit a few different beaches today.
It was hard work for a few coins but paid off eventually at a favourite spot with a little 9ct Birthstone ring.

Attachments

• 20200205_135927.jpg
    20200205_135927.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 659
  • 20200205_140000.jpg
    20200205_140000.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 597
  • 20200205_140616.jpg
    20200205_140616.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 585
You make alot of nice old finds. Do you mainly find these in say a small area , like 50 yards ? Or is it a big beach where maybe you walk a mile ?

You make alot of nice old finds. Do you mainly find these in say a small area , like 50 yards ? Or is it a big beach where maybe you walk a mile ?

Most of my beaches are very small, probably equivalent to a couple or so blocks in the US.
Very few visitors nowadays, a good day would be 20 to 30 people.

However they were very popular 50 to 100 years ago and given the right conditions, which we all pray for, there are often nice old items exposed.

I have worked out were the old entrances where and I'm constantly on the lookout for any exposure there.

And like others I have many bleak days too.But being retired sure helps!

:dingding: Nice looking ring that's worth more than melt. I hope when I'm retired in a few years that I find gold as often as you.

Most of my beaches are very small, probably equivalent to a couple or so blocks in the US.
Very few visitors nowadays, a good day would be 20 to 30 people.

However they were very popular 50 to 100 years ago and given the right conditions, which we all pray for, there are often nice old items exposed.

I have worked out were the old entrances where and I'm constantly on the lookout for any exposure there.

And like others I have many bleak days too.But being retired sure helps!

Thank you for your response. I find the history interesting. Sounds like you are the only one who really hunts the areas you do. Is your population around the same as it was back then ? Here on the LA area beaches , some of them go for miles. They were popular back in the day. But the population count was way lower than it is now , being a metropolis. I do find quite a bit of older jewelry , sinkers , coins and such but most of it I think only goes back to say the 50s and 60s. Very rare to go back into the teens. Unfortunately , 97% of it is NOT gold. Going back 30-40 years when I hunted the beaches I would find alot more "old" gold. Not long ago I found a gold band dated 1886. My oldest to date. But its probably been a good 10 years since I found anything near that era. Of course the # of people detecting in the last 10 years is insane around here.

Love the ring! Very pretty!
But what I find kind of interesting is that $1 coin with the 5 kangaroos on it. Common for that area, I’m sure, but about a month ago, I found that exact same coin in a playground at an elementary school here in the west side of Michigan,IN THE UNITED STATES! Would really like to know how that coin travelled this far!:shock:
Keep up the great hunting!

Back
Top Bottom