Secret spot, silver spoons

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
I hit a new spot, i don't think it's been detected before as i fpund these 3 silver spoons pretty close to the surface. Old stuff like this gets cleaned out fast. I put them at about 1900.
Going back with the nox tomorow hoping for some gold!

Attachments

• 20200502_161022.jpg
    20200502_161022.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 625
Love the old spots! Congrads on the finds and the location. Love it when you get that feeling, you got a virgin spot.

Here, at one time I would have though that also, un-hunted but now I know it can be a area uncovered......... since winds shape and control the Chesapeake Bay.

I like finding Sterling silverware but that's really rare!
Only found part of a spoon once. I sent it to the melter for cash.
Congrats on three whole ones.

So I went back to the secret spot yesterday, and I had a solid signal which turned up an extremely crusted coin. going by the signal and the patina I knew it would be silver, but it turned out to be an extremely thick crust. I soaked it for 24 hours and still the pantina was a featureless mass of sand and silver oxide. A gentle tap and it cracked the outer shell, and out popped a british 1896 shilling.
Now considering perth was only founded in 1829 that's a seriously old coin for this area. It's likely been in that salty water for 100 years. I've left it as is, I think any attempts to clean it more would just remove detail.
I'm definately going back again with a focus on that specific area as it's where I found the spoons as well. If I can find one in good condition they can be very valuable, and I'd be stoked to find something of historical significance I can donate.

Attachments

• 20200504_171217sml.jpg
    20200504_171217sml.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 483
  • 20200504_171106sml.jpg
    20200504_171106sml.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 501
Yeah, I've cleaned it and there's a bit more detail. I can't get the last layer off it's kind of welded on

why does the bottom of those spoons say IKEA? Asking for a friend.

So I went back to the secret spot yesterday, and I had a solid signal which turned up an extremely crusted coin.....

I know that "beach-kissed-salt" coins are generally numismaticaly "hosed", yet ..... they are fun to find. And the getting through the "cocoon" that envelopes them is like un-wrapping a Christmas present :)

I hit a new spot, i don't think it's been detected before as i fpund these 3 silver spoons pretty close to the surface. Old stuff like this gets cleaned out fast. I put them at about 1900.
Going back with the nox tomorow hoping for some gold!
What does it say on the back of thoses coin silver style spoon. Coin silver if no "sterling" mark dated pre-1860's. I have many coin silver spoons.. some early 1800's or before.

Back
Top Bottom