Annoying questions

Or how about this : When they say : Did you find my diamond ring (or treasure or whatever), I ask : "Did you loose a wad of $100 bills wrapped with a rubber band ?"

They will quickly gleefully say "Yes, did you find it ?"

To which I answer : "No, but I found the rubber band that was around it. Want the rubber band back ?" :laughing:

BWAHAHAHAHAH!! love it. :)

Now, we need to find one where we can give away our pop-tops!

Skippy

When people ask if i found anything, i usually say just the usual silver and gold.
Once i said i was looking for unexploded ordinance which was met with a blank stare, probably a stupid remark on my part!

Nah, I love to tell that one to kids. When they ask what that means, I look at their parents, wink, and say, "Unexploded ordinance is BOMBS. This used to be a training ground for the military."

It's AWESOME how many kids will totally fall for that.

And Axtec gold... and WWII battle site. (that's my personal favorite).

Skippy

I had one guy stop and ask me if I needed money and was homeless. (maybe I should of worn better clothes, muddy woods anyway) If they are taking pics I think they are Tom's spies he has sent out to make sure no one is trying to find anything without him getting his 30% cut.

LOL I've been asked that, too!

One of the worst experiences I had, I was in Dusseldorf, Germany, and it was evening, and I was out looking for dinner. Stood under a stoplight, and was contemplating how everyone was dressed WAY better than I was (jeans and a t-shirt on me), and a guy stopped and offered me 5 Euros. I laughed and waved him off, and realized "yep, I look homeless compared to these folks!"

Skippy

love this , what's your best find, my answer "my wife best find ever"
usually if its a couple wife will say good answer.
Most of the time I keep my head down and avoid eye contact.
One time I watched a detectorist get out of his car and walked straight up up my . It was a great morning for me as I had several gold rings already. He asked how I was doing.
Gave him the standard answer to someone I don't know. Just bobbie pins and pull tabs.
He never turned on his machine and left the beach.
If I say that to you just ignore me and start detecting.
Happy hunting .

If asked what I'm looking for, I usually answer, "My wife says I'm looking for my dignity." It's usually worth a laugh. :)

Skippy

love this , what's your best find, my answer "my wife best find ever"
usually if its a couple wife will say good answer.
Most of the time I keep my head down and avoid eye contact.
One time I watched a detectorist get out of his car and walked straight up up my . It was a great morning for me as I had several gold rings already. He asked how I was doing.
Gave him the standard answer to someone I don't know. Just bobbie pins and pull tabs.
He never turned on his machine and left the beach.
If I say that to you just ignore me and start detecting.
Happy hunting .

I NEVER tell people what I've found, unless I know them. I actually had a friend at the park, with his kids (who I hadn't met). I'd just pulled a gold ring out, and a young boy asked if I'd found anything good. I told him "nope! just trash!" I met his dad about 3 minutes later, and pulled out the gold ring to show him, and the boy walked up with a weird look on his face. I knew he was trying to figure out when I'd found it. LOL

Yeah, It's just SAFER to not tell people what you've found. And IMHO, any detectorist thinking about this, will actually only ask three questions (and they'd better have their machines off when they approach)..

1) What's your rig?
2) Been here long?
3) Seen any other detectorists today?

That's it. I don't expect anything more, and if they try to get more info out of me, I'm going to sand-bag if I don't know them. And if they're pushy? I'll tell them to try "over there" where I've already detected. LOL

Skippy

The folks that annoy me the most are the ones who approach me and say, what kind of detector is that ? I'm gonna get me one of those so I can hunt on the beach. Those people are time wasters.

I'm not annoyed if they start with trying to guess the model. Such as "running a Whites or Minelab?" because at least you know they know SOMETHING about the hobby.

But if you're thinking about getting one from Walmart, because they're having a sale? Yeah, I don't care.

Skippy

Where there is people , it's just gonna happen. I'm camera shy. I don't like my picture taken. A picture cost me alot of $ years ago. Anyway , as of late I wear a balaclava. So that can hide your face. Keep this in mind : many have never seen a metal detector before. I've had quite a few over the years ask me what it is , what's it for , etc. So yes , they will take pictures. Ignoring them , turning the other direction depending on your mood , is what I do. Generally , I try to be friendly. It's better that way. BUT , many want to chat for 5 minutes. If I did that , I would lose an hour on each hunt. And TIME is my # 1 enemy when beach hunting.

When I absolutely catch someone taking pictures of me... I'll start posing obviously. It's hilarious. Butt out, duck face, Flexing... Gets good laughs, and it doesn't take long for people to shut down their stupidity. Sometimes, I'll ask them if they want to pose with me. That usually gets them running. not a beach, though... park hunts. At a beach, I suspect people would all jump into the photo for their instagram stories...*sigh*

Skippy

I told this couple of sisters....my age...so old as you know what...anyways they asked me if I was finding anything and I told them that I was just listening to the radio. I thought it was funny....I don't think they did. I try to be polite and it's not usually too difficult. Still, whenever anyone asks me what I've found that day, I only say "change and bottle caps"...even if I've found something silver or gold...I wouldn't want an "oh that's my ring" conversation to get started. I am sometimes cynical....but usually I come off as polite. Now I've found myself embellishing stories...like today I told this woman that's it's just the way I work out and at 5:30 am when I tell my wife bye, I say I'm going to the gym....now....that's not true...I've never said that before in my life....I don't know what's happening to me....but they bought it...and maybe next time I'll make up something different.

I've always been sociable with people on the beach when approached. Always carry a few found Hot Wheel toys to give to a kid that's brave enough to come up and talk with me.
On five different occasions I've been asked to help find a wedding ring that was lost and the person saw me working the beach. I found them all and each one has a great little story and everyone was so grateful.
People have asked me to help find their lost keys. I always give it a shot and usually find them but not always,
I was working a cut one day all alone in the zone. A lady walked up and asked if I would help her find her keys. She pointed about 1/4 mile down the beach. Told her I would meet her there in a few minutes and started down detecting all the way. Found a set of keys in the dry while walking but no where near her spot. Got to her and held up the keys and they were hers. She offered me money which I never accept and off we went.
I was way off my cut and started back thru the dry sand to my spot. I hadn't walked ten feet and got a target 14K 8g men's white gold band. I'd of never found that ring if I hadn't taken a few minutes to be friendly, talk with someone and offer up a little help.

Great stories. I treat it like fishing or my favorite, bow hunting whitetails. Nope, I didnt see any deer today. Nope, Not one bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A vagrant was walking around the beach the other night, nice fellow, and wandered over to me as I was detecting the low tide. Being nice, I took off my headphones and struck up a small conversation.

He told me that his brother had a metal detector that could "find everything" and we chatted for a minute or two about the things you can find with it and whether or not it's legal to keep the stuff you find.

Then he asked me if I've ever found any bricks. "Bricks?", I asked. He said, "Yeah, bricks of cocaine, from the airplanes that fly by here."

I said no and he went on his way.

Back
Top Bottom