Magnet fishing

I've also seen poeple use a 3 foot pole with hooks attatched dragged on the bottom around the pier. One guy got a tackle box and a ridable bicycle while I was watching for about 20 minutes. Another time I saw the same guy bring up a usable fishing pole. He also got lots of seaweed! :lol:

No it won't.

With rare exceptions, magnets have no effect on electronics whatsoever. And even in those rare exceptions, the effect is transitory and goes away when the magnet is removed.

There is ONE possible "exception to the exception", though, and even this "danger" is passing into history. Old color CRTs had a metal screen behind the CRT phosphors. Kids were always having fun by dragging magnets across the TV and distorting the colors and the picture. I've HEARD of cases (but never actually seen it, so it may also be a myth) where if a strong enough magnet was used, it would permanently magnetize the screen to the point where even degaussing couldn't fix it.

PS:

Magnets don't bother hard drives, either. The dangers lurking in getting magnets too close to a hard drive is a myth.

PPS:

I just noticed this thread was started in jan 2010 and ran through august.
Then Kolby resurrected it in march of this year for a couple of days.
Then Wolfpaw re-ressurected it the other day.

It's "The Attack of the Zombie Threads!!!" :lol:

Magnets most certainly DO destroy a hard drive.. see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJ0IlFhTio&feature=related

I know this is an old thread, but I just started magnet fishing. I have a 200 lb pull force neodymium magnet and tied a 50 foot rope on an Eye bolt with a rethreaded figure 8 knot. I pulled up a couple T-posts from the bottom of the river bed, but then my magnet got hooked or trapped on a log. A big log or something big about 12 ft deep. I couldn't pull it loose. It wouldn't budge. I had to hook it to my car. Broke my tow rope 3 times and finally pulled the magnet loose. I was very lucky. Anybody know how to set up their rope/magnet setup to prevent snagging?

That sounds like a blast thanks for sharing! Would be really cool if you pulled up and old can or box with valuables in it.

I ordered 2-14kg (30lb) neodynium magnets with eye bolts. I want to be able to pull it away incase I drop it on something I can't pull out of the bottom, I know our waterways are full of old car parts and similar junk, so we'll see how it goes.

I would think this would be a great way to clear an area out of junk before you detected it. Probably cut down on some masking and make for an easier time getting accurate hits & tones.
Might have to give a few to my boys when the water warms up so they can clear the area for me LOL :)

Back
Top Bottom