familiar symbol?

RelicHound

Forum Supporter
Found this today...Ive seen the symbol before but cant place it...It looks like the back off a pocket watch but im not 100% sure?

Attachments

• PC230102.JPG
    PC230102.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 433
A stupid wild a## guess ... could it be the top of an old Zenith radio tube?

I thought Zenith first as well, but after a quick glance at the "Z" in their logo... not quite right. The tail of the Zenith "Z" extends quite a bit like a lightning bolt.

I thought Zenith first as well, but after a quick glance at the "Z" in their logo... not quite right. The tail of the Zenith "Z" extends quite a bit like a lightning bolt.

ah yes! thats exactly what I was trying to think of..zenith!.. I just googled it as well it it does appear to be a bit different. it also appears there are zenith pocket watches...but I dont see any with a back like that on it. probably one of them things that will be hard to figure out unless someone has one or something.

I'm betting it went to a Zenith radio product of some sort. Zenith started using the 'lightning Z' logo around 1924. There were some variations along the way, but it stayed pretty much the same. This 'Z' looks like the one they used on the coat-of-arms looking shield they used on '40s and '50s radios - but I can't imagine where that thing would have fit on a radio - it isn't part of a tube, and all the Zenith knobs were either wood with the 'z' pressed in or bakelite. But then, I guarantee that if some other company had used the lightning Z (even slightly changed like this one is), Zenith would have been all over them for trademark infringement. So your item must have either been made before 1924 or be made by Zenith. What is the diameter of this thing? Was it found in town or out in the country?

I'm betting it went to a Zenith radio product of some sort. Zenith started using the 'lightning Z' logo around 1924. There were some variations along the way, but it stayed pretty much the same. This 'Z' looks like the one they used on the coat-of-arms looking shield they used on '40s and '50s radios - but I can't imagine where that thing would have fit on a radio - it isn't part of a tube, and all the Zenith knobs were either wood with the 'z' pressed in or bakelite. But then, I guarantee that if some other company had used the lightning Z (even slightly changed like this one is), Zenith would have been all over them for trademark infringement. So your item must have either been made before 1924 or be made by Zenith. What is the diameter of this thing? Was it found in town or out in the country?

it fits perfectly on the top of a soda can and it was found in a crop field...newest thing I found there was a 1905 V nickel but that doesnt mean newer stuff isnt there.

I was thinking it could be a hubcap for an old pedal car - more than one company made Zephyr pedal cars. Maybe the center to the steering wheel. Interesting item, that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom