Picking a spot to hunt

RESEARCH...

In the off season/rainy days, hit your local library for old maps and newspapers (in the newspapers look for stories of social events, ie. ice cream picnics, church gatherings and fairs) from the early days of your town. Look at any old map sites on-line that you can find. Here's a start for you:

Wichita Ks 1887. That work for you? Now, if you get Maprika Map Designer you can open this map in the left panel and current satellite imagery in the right panel.

Check out my blog post and the next couple after this one... https://mtldtktr.wordpress.com/2015/08/15/software-programs-and-apps-for-metal-detecting/

Good luck and happy hunting!

:D

Start with your yard. I'm still hunting mine, and although my finds are out thinning out, there may ALWAYS be stuff to dig. Then hit up your nearby family, then friends, neighbors, then co-workers, then friends of friends, cousins and their college roommates. THEN after you've exhausted every acquaintance, go to the oldest part of town and start knocking on doors. (Long drawn out way to say there are lots of places to go, just look around!) Good luck!

BlueDog has good points. Learning and becoming one with your machine is best done at places of family and friends,usually. There are really limitless places to hunt once you think about it,some are easier to get on to than others. Anything CAN be anywhere,but odds are better of finding "the good stuff" where it would logically be. And....when you think a place is genuinely cleaned out,it is not. There may not be much left in the way of easily obtainable targets but every site has a target or two left in it that modern machines can find. Every site will hold things we just cannot currently reach with ANY coil.
Chat up anyone who will listen to you about detecting. If you have a kid,BRING THE KID! We need to get the youngsters back outside any way we can! If they really don't like it,don't drill them with it. But make it fun for them and they will more than likely at least go with every so often.

Blue dog has the best advice for someone just starting out. Find post WWII yards . Built late 1940s to very early 1950s in the prosperous post war economic boom times. Those yards are old enough to have silver, yet won't be hammered to h*eck like some of the sad sorry worked older "obvious places" can be. In fact, are probably virgin. And aren't so junky that the newbie is pulling his hair out with a symphony of signals he can't differentiate and/or understand.

Once you've dug a lot of common clad, wheaties and newer silver, the "lights will go on". And THEN you can go tackle the more competive parks, or exotic research into hopefully virgin camps, abandoned retreats, defunct country parks, stage stops, etc....

Great advice! Learn your rig really well as to what its saying and how to hunt certain areas...One thing I might add...TIMING is nearly as important as location.

You hit a certain targeted location at just the right time when all the conditions are right, and you would be surprised at what comes boiling up out of the ground! I plan a hunt to specific areas when the conditions are just perfect to work them...if its not, then I go scouting for others...so a guy has several options depending on what the day might bring...
Mud

If you already have some ideas on places to hunt you can check them out on Google earth, when you find a spot put that address on historic aerials and you can get an idea of what was there years ago, houses, roads, fields, etc. that are no longer there.

Also, in addition to research like the others have suggested, many of my best and unexpected finds have come from just wandering around in the "nooks and crannies" of old neighborhoods and other promising old areas. You'll be surprised how many little spots you can find when you get out of your car and just let yourself wander. Its a lot of fun too.

If you want to catch a lot of clad, and the occasional ring/jewelry, hunt outside of a baseball field along the first base line where the fans sit in their porta chairs. Just follow slightly behind the sunflower seed line. This will hone your hunting skills too. Have fun!

One more suggestion: Talk to old timers and ask them about gathering places from their childhood. A lot of times they can remember an old picnic grove, swimming hole or other gathering place that was popular back in the day but hasn't been used in decades. If you're ever lucky enough to find one, you're in for a treat! Since these places are off the grid, they usually haven't been detected before. Hardly any modern junk and lots of old keepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom