1787 Fugio cent

RI Matt

Went out Sunday morning for my weekly ritual with gscott ,I had myself a a good day with a couple of surprising finds. We hit up are first ever corn field and I found an arrow point just sitting there at the end of my first pass. Also got the gold gilded button from that field and the other close by.
24b2fb74b9d25874e50f0f4316803201.jpg
7a22de068bac45f519fcde6fa759ca3e.jpg

Then change of location, old home site first pulled the Indian head then....... the best for last a 1787 fugio cent. Didn't know what I had till we did a quick internet search. Not expecting that at all.
e74f7784427a13a1376754c162d83114.jpg
a29cc8d115c28dcee0a58d45f05c7cdc.jpg
9151a1933b8e8490ac248c3e95128404.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man what a freaking awesome find! HUGE congrats on the Fugio! It's near the top of my bucket list!

Matt, how deep was it and did it ring in as something like a normal copper?

My hunting buddy got one last year. It was 8 inches deep and came in below the zinc penny range on his AT Pro.

Excellent work!

Beside maybe getting some real old silver, that is another coin that eludes many of us colonial hunters.

Definately not a foreign coin. First coin authorized by US government I believe

You are 100% correct sir.

Ben Franklin had his hand in it's design too.

These are worth a decent amount of money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugio_Cent :yes:

Definately not a foreign coin. First coin authorized by US government I believe

Congrats Matt!! Great condition too. At the top of my bucket list.

The FUGIO is an American Colonial coin designed and directly connected to Benjamin Franklin. Great historic find!

On April 21, 1787, the Congress of the Confederation of the United States authorized a design for an official copper penny,[1] later referred to as the Fugio cent because of its image of the sun shining down on a sundial with the caption, "Fugio" (Latin: I flee/fly). This coin was reportedly designed by Benjamin Franklin; as a reminder to its holders, he put at its bottom the message, "Mind Your Business." The image and the words form a rebus meaning that "time flies, do your work." This design was also used on the "Continental dollar" (issued as coins of unknown real denomination, and in paper notes of different fractional denominations) in February 1776.[2]

Some historians believe that the word "business" was intended literally here, as Franklin was an influential and successful businessman. Given Franklin's history publishing aphorisms, it may have been intended to mean both monetary and social business.

The reverse side of both the 1776 coins and paper notes, and the 1787 coins, bore the third motto "We Are One" (in English) surrounded by thirteen chain links, representing the original thirteen colonial states.

Following the reform of the central government with the 1789 ratification of the 1787 Constitution, gold and silver coins transitioned to the motto "E pluribus unum" from the Great Seal of the United States

Thanks everyone, still can't believe I found a Fugio cent.
Digger-Dave that coin rang in just like the few large cents I've found a solid 85 on the AT-PRO it was about 5"- 6" down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been glued to this forum since 2013 and I believe I have only seen one posted.
They are incredibly incredibly rare.......
You'd have far greater odds of finding a double eagle than finding a chain cent......
Cherish that one for sure........
Unbelievable find.......
Big huge congrats.......

Back
Top Bottom