Utah Public Parks Silver

thekillfloor

Hi guys. Any pointers for finding silver coins in Utah public parks? I have found numerous public parks constructed in the 30s and 40s here in Utah. I always find clad and get deeper hits and begin digging and digging until I'm about 14" down and then stop because I think they are false reads. Any help is appreciated! :) I have an ace 350 and optional Nel attack coil and garret pro pinpointer.

1. Look for areas where people might have congregated in the past, it might not be the same areas as it is today.

2. Does the park get hunted often? Look for areas that other detectorists might not have considered or are out of the way.

3. Read this thread. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=232068 Lots of good info/strategy for hunting older parks.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

There is no trick to finding them. If you are getting wheat cents, then silver is there too, it's just more rare. I find most coins within an inch or two of the bottom of the grass roots. Unless the soil is very loose, the coins will stop sinking just below the roots. I normally give up on the target at around 8 inches if the pin pointer is quiet.

Trust the detector

I have dug many silver dimes at 9 to 11 inches. Just have to trust the detector and learn the machine. Love the folks that give up at 6 inches.

:yes:

Keep at it, one day it will "click" and you will learn what those deep tones are telling you. Whether it be a 12" silver half or a 11" bent flat nail, the more time you put in the better you will become. HH!

I'm not sure if this helps but different coils will pinpoint a little different and some of those targets your giving up on probably aren't deeper but in the side wall of your hole. I usually keep my pointer on a lower sensitivity and if it's beeping at 2 or 3" once you get to 7 or 8" your target isn't any deeper because your pointer wouldn't have picked it up at 2". The target would have to be very large for you to get a signal at 14". The more hours I got with my machine the better I got with pinpointing the deeper targets.

Hi guys. Any pointers for finding silver coins in Utah public parks? I have found numerous public parks constructed in the 30s and 40s here in Utah. I always find clad and get deeper hits and begin digging and digging until I'm about 14" down and then stop because I think they are false reads. Any help is appreciated! :) I have an ace 350 and optional Nel attack coil and garret pro pinpointer.

You are getting great advice so far. I would add that , if you're new to md'ing and old-park turf hunting, then be aware that you might be arriving at certain parks that have been "pounded to death" with past cherry picking.

For example: I've been at this since the mid to late 1970s. And I can recall parks where, "back in the day" we could routinely go to and get wheaties, silver, etc.... Heck, we would even take newbies for training. And on their first forray it wasn't uncommon for them to be getting a silver. Lots of "4 star text book signals" to choose from.

But NOW: Pity the poor newbie soul who goes to some of those same parks 30+ yrs. later. They are going to have one dickens of a time , now that all the easies are long gone, and they are now a blighted zinc penny wino cap mess :( Not even the veterans bother with some of the parks around here anymore.

So too might it be with some of the Utah parks you might be trying.

Thus a good way to learn the tones of what signals to chase (versus pass, etc...) when deep-turf-hunting for silver, is to do this: Find someone in your area who is a proficient turf hunter. Ie.: not just a sandbox hunter, or someone proficient in clad. But someone who's actually coming in with silver from turf. Ask if they can please flag a few suspected deep high conductor signals. Watch how they're swinging. Listen to what sounds they're trying to isolate (assuming they're using the same type machine as you). Then you try over the target. Go 90% angles. Fiddle with your settings to see what "brings it in better" and so forth. See how they pinpoint. See how they retrieve.

Sometimes it's lessons like that , that are the only way to truly conquer turf.

Most of the easy stuff 4-6" is gone. I have great luck when I seek out the trashy spots using a smaller coil.

at older trash filled parks I like to dig that trash...it's work I won't lie,but...eventually you'll uncover those masked and partially masked targets that the cherry pickers have passed over or didn't hear.

You have to run the ace350 pretty wife open. Dont use coin mode you will miss coins in trashy areas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You may be able to go deep with a big coil,but if you want silver you should ask for permission to hunt someones older lawn at an old house for example.

Talk to some older folks and ask where they used to spend time, picnic groves, swimming holes, areas like that...

metal addict has another excellent starter point: If you want some FAST learning action on turf, then DON'T start in hammered worked out parks. Instead start out in yards of old homes. Like post war (late '40s/early 1950s) homes. Get the feel of deep whispery silver there. And THEN go try to tackle the stingy worked out parks.

Because the problem with hard-hammered parks, is that the elusive signals you're looking for, are often time so far and few between, that your brain never gets to develop patterns. Contrast to easy virgin yards, where such signals can be 10 or 20 wheaties/silver in a single yard, side-by-side, to where you can develop sound patterns in your brain easier.

1. Look for areas where people might have congregated in the past, it might not be the same areas as it is today.

2. Does the park get hunted often? Look for areas that other detectorists might not have considered or are out of the way.

What rreahard said, and crank up your sensitivity. I run my 705 starting at 25/30, or 83%. From there Ill go up or down depending on the situation. Then again you may find that virgin location filled with goodies, like a newer jr. high my buddy and I hunted where we pulled out over 20 rings, some jewelry, and lotsa clad.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom