What in the world are these?

Mister7

Got back out in the colonial cornfield again today and found a few cool things which I posted Under "odds and ends" in the coinshooters and relic hunters section. In this section I'm posting a few things that I found in the cornfield and have no idea what they are...The first is iron and was down close to a foot deep the other is possibly tin (about the same depth) and has ornate circle and flowers design on it,any help figuring out what they are is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3576.jpg
    IMG_3576.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_3579.jpg
    IMG_3579.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 629
Could the top ones be tines from a harrow? How big are they?

No idea on the bottom one, but it's cool!

emdees

Cool...

The top ones look like from the end of a pole to move logs. Is that what a harrow is ? The other looks like a letter opener handle.
Marty

This will give a rough idea of the size of the items.

Attachments

• IMG_3582.jpg
    IMG_3582.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 515
They are shaped like log pikes but they are WAY too small for that. Log pikes are up to a few feet across, depending on the size of timber you are rolling.

My guess is these are broken, used to be circular, and would roll and catch on some sort of gear tightening system. But that is a wild guess.

Maybe they originally had a layer of brass, nickle etc? Or maybe they used what they had available to make them. They're quite old. Cool find either way.

I've seen vintage kitchen stoves with handles that hang down on the doors of the stoves similar to your bottom picture, that have decorations on them. You didn't compare a size reference for it. Sounds like you have a good place to hunt.
GiGi

Back
Top Bottom