Brass/Bronze rings?

Mister7

Not being able to MD much over the past couple of weeks really got to me today after work so I hit the cornfield for an hour or so. Dug up a ring about 8 inches down(looks like a wedding band)but its neither silver or gold,appears to be brass or bronze....I'll post some pics before/after,after I clean it up a bit. Anyone ever heard of brass/ bronze rings being worn?

They could very well be rings for po folks, but, you might want to check with a plumber to see if they are compression rings. I have several brass compression rings for water fixtures. I no longer use them, but hey, they'd make good rings.

P.S. If the edge tapers to nothing, then it's probably a compression ring (brass). If there is a flat edge at all, then it's something else.

This is *kind* of like mine, only wider and, mine don't have the beveled flat, they are just flat on the inside and arched over on the outside, and narrower: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk...ded-22mm-olive-brass-compression-fittings.jpg

Cleaned up a bit.

Took about an hour of rubbing to get to this point.Afew before and after pics..

Attachments

• IMG_3583.jpg
    IMG_3583.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_3589.jpg
    IMG_3589.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 583
I can't tell for sure (the pictures are fuzzy) but if I had to guess, I'd say it is not a compression ring. I'd guess it's one of those finger rings the others are talking about.

They could very well be rings for po folks, but, you might want to check with a plumber to see if they are compression rings. I have several brass compression rings for water fixtures. I no longer use them, but hey, they'd make good rings.

P.S. If the edge tapers to nothing, then it's probably a compression ring (brass). If there is a flat edge at all, then it's something else.

This is *kind* of like mine, only wider and, mine don't have the beveled flat, they are just flat on the inside and arched over on the outside, and narrower: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk...ded-22mm-olive-brass-compression-fittings.jpg

Thanks for your input as well as the link to the pic of a compression fitting,the item I found does have a slight flat edge and the inside of the band appears more orange (coppery)in appearance while the outside shines nearly like gold..I had phone contact last week with the curator of a local colonial era museum who has agreed to check out some of my other finds,I'll have him take a look at this too.

i've found more than a few

copper or brass rings were very common from colonial to the late 1800's they were usually gold plated or gilted , very nice find congrats .

Dan

Based on that, then I'd say it is probably not a compression ring. I've never seen one that did not taper to a sharp edge. Plus, they would shine brass all around.

You probably have one of the finger rings.

This is off topic, but in the Larmie, Wyoming (university) museum, they have a guy (cowboy?) that was (they surmise) shot in the hip so he fell to his knees; he was then shot through the head. .44 or .45. Then he was buried. This was back in the 1800s. When they dug him up, they found a black rubber type ring on his wedding ring finger. The description said it was a widowers ring. Apparently, in the old days, if you lost your spouse, you'd wear a black rubber wedding band.

He had a wide brimmed black hat and was well dressed. He was delicate boned, so the figured English, and he was very tall for the time (6' plus).

You look at and read stuff like that and your head just starts spinning with "who, what, where, how, why and when . . .????" I saw that 30 years ago and I still think about him.

copper or brass rings were very common from colonial to the late 1800's they were usually gold plated or gilted , very nice find congrats .

Dan

Thanks Dan, My gut feeling is that what I found is a wedding ring,it just kind of fits in with everything else I found in the cornfield....The museum curator is going to turn into a great resource for what I have planned for the future,I'm going to have him check it out along with a few other things. Jerry

Based on that, then I'd say it is probably not a compression ring. I've never seen one that did not taper to a sharp edge. Plus, they would shine brass all around.

You probably have one of the finger rings.

This is off topic, but in the Larmie, Wyoming (university) museum, they have a guy (cowboy?) that was (they surmise) shot in the hip so he fell to his knees; he was then shot through the head. .44 or .45. Then he was buried. This was back in the 1800s. When they dug him up, they found a black rubber type ring on his wedding ring finger. The description said it was a widowers ring. Apparently, in the old days, if you lost your spouse, you'd wear a black rubber wedding band.

He had a wide brimmed black hat and was well dressed. He was delicate boned, so the figured English, and he was very tall for the time (6' plus).

You look at and read stuff like that and your head just starts spinning with "who, what, where, how, why and when . . .????" I saw that 30 years ago and I still think about him.
I had never heard of the custom of widowers wearing a black rubber ring,learn something everyday if you pay attention.Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks Dan, My gut feeling is that what I found is a wedding ring,it just kind of fits in with everything else I found in the cornfield....The museum curator is going to turn into a great resource for what I have planned for the future,I'm going to have him check it out along with a few other things. Jerry

i wish i had someone like that to see some things i have found one of the wedding bands i have found was very unique ,a brass and copper ring that is woven or braided together

Attachments

• 100_0094 braided ring.jpg
    100_0094 braided ring.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 530
  • 100_0093 brass copper ring.jpg
    100_0093 brass copper ring.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 554
i wish i had someone like that to see some things i have found one of the wedding bands i have found was very unique ,a brass and copper ring that is woven or braided together

Thats a very unique ring Dan,like to know the story behind that one. I'm in the process of setting up the meeting with the gentleman at the museum(so far phone contact where he agreed to meet with me),you are more than welcome to come along.Its just a matter of working out schedules pretty much..I think this guy could be an incredible resource because his area of expertise has to do with the things we are digging up...If you'd like to go that would be great,if interested,PM me over the next day or so and we can work out the details.

You're welcome, Jerry!
Let me know if you find out any more good info from your contact at the museum. I love learning about this stuff!
Nick

I'll definitely keep you posted Nick,waiting to hear back from him now and I'll go from there....I know what you mean about having a love of history,I've always wished I could somehow make a living at working in the field but Howard Carter I ain't:lol: Guess I'll keep chasing bugs for a living

Back
Top Bottom