Home made straight shaft for Whites Surf PI

Spookydad

I just finished my straight shaft modification for my Surf PI. It started out as a Nifty Nabber I got at Home Depot. It was $20 which is a lot to pay for an aluminum tube but it is anodized. The new tube is a little smaller than the original but it fits the lower tube snugly. It makes for a less wobbly overall shaft. I took the old cuff off the bent shaft for expediency. I copied the hole pattern from the original but I will only use the first two holes. I made the straight grip parts on my small lathe. I am a novice with the lathe so it was an exercise to learn on. I think it took me 12 hours all told so it would have been better to just buy a bicycle grip. I could only find a pair for $20 and I already had the scrap aluminum so I decided to make it. The foam grip came from a unused piece of exercise equipment. It is all stainless and aluminum except for the bolt and the grip tube. The tube is painted so I hope it won't rust.

SpookyDad

Nifty Nabber.jpg

Straight Shaft finished 1.jpg

grip detail 1.jpg

grip detail 2.jpg

mount 1.jpg

The extra bits on the shaft near the mount are masking tape. I made a mistake and oversized the hole for the shaft. I had to wrap the shaft with a couple of wraps of masking tape. Err umm It is to improve grip and prevent marring the anodizing. (Yeah that's it!)

I just finished my straight shaft modification for my Surf PI. It started out as a Nifty Nabber I got at Home Depot. It was $20 which is a lot to pay for an aluminum tube but it is anodized. The new tube is a little smaller than the original but it fits the lower tube snugly. It makes for a less wobbly overall shaft. I took the old cuff off the bent shaft for expediency. I copied the hole pattern from the original but I will only use the first two holes. I made the straight grip parts on my small lathe. I am a novice with the lathe so it was an exercise to learn on. I think it took me 12 hours all told so it would have been better to just buy a bicycle grip. I could only find a pair for $20 and I already had the scrap aluminum so I decided to make it. The foam grip came from a unused piece of exercise equipment. It is all stainless and aluminum except for the bolt and the grip tube. The tube is painted so I hope it won't rust.

SpookyDad

View attachment 9390

View attachment 9391

View attachment 9392

View attachment 9393

View attachment 9394

The extra bits on the shaft near the mount are masking tape. I made a mistake and oversized the hole for the shaft. I had to wrap the shaft with a couple of wraps of masking tape. Err umm It is to improve grip and prevent marring the anodizing. (Yeah that's it!)

:wow: :wow: REAL NICE JOB SPOOKYDAD !!! I also think that you paid too much for the anodized aluminum tube, I wonder how much it would have cost you if you had to pay for a full length tube? Here in Mauritius I would pay a full length aluminum (anodized) tube about less than $10.00. Big difference :roll: But again thumbs up, I always wanted to learn using a lathe.

I tried it at the beach in Galveston yesterday. It was much easier to keep the coil on the bottom with less strain on the wrist. It didn't improve my luck any though. :no: I did find my first quarter but not much else.

I am going to rework the bracket to hold the coil flat. It is still too floppy for my tastes and still works too much like an oar.

SpookyDad

Back
Top Bottom