How Much Does That Thing Cost?!

Banemorth

Elite Member
Probably the question that I hear the most often along with "YA FIND ANY GOLD YUK YUK YUK"

If you hear that question how do you respond?

As I'm usually alone and paranoid, although more than capable of defending myself, I always say the same thing. Fifty bucks at Radio Shack. Most people totally lose interest when I put such a low value on the machine. It's strange.

I don't think I've been asked about the cost. Mostly variations of "Find anything good?" Some are sincere, some wiseass. I only say "a few coins."

. I only say "a few coins."

Ditto. Most people that inquire as to the value of my detector are, how shall I say it, unsavory? I have no doubt that if they knew the true value of the machine I would have to leave the area before "Friends" showed up.

I used to be honest and tell them what it cost. Now, if they don't appear the type to try and rob me, I'll fib a little and say "Oh, they run about $1500 for one that actually finds coins like mine."

I figure that will weed out the fly by nighters....:lol:

I usually say they run from $50 to $1500, but I picked up this old used one from a friend. Which is true, I did buy my older used DFX from a friend, though phrasing it this way makes it seem like a cheaper detector than it actually is. And it avoids me having to put a number on my particular unit.

As far as "find any gold?" I tell them I usually average about 1 or 2 pieces per year. It's not my primary focus of detecting anymore though, so that's still true, although you certainly can do better. But I don't tell them about some of the gold finding greats on the forum haha.

I don't think I've been asked how much my machine cost but have gotten the "Find anything good" question more than a couple of times. I usually just say "Not this time, just a few coins and such"...but then again, that's usually the truth...:lol:

I haven't heard that question yet. I usually get "Find anything" in variations, and "I been thinking bout getting one of those".

If I were to get asked that question, I'd have to be honest. Nope, haven't found any gold with it. My gold was found eyeballing...I seem to do that better than using a machine:lol::lol:

Gemmy

I usually just tell people that I found a lot of junk and maybe some coins and thats it. A lot of people in my neighborhood don't even know what these machine do. I have been ask before can that machine find metal, coins, silver, and gold. One guy though that the park had hired me to pick up pieces of paper and trash off the ground with my detector. Thats how clueless people are around here.

The only question I ever hear is 'found anything yet?'. A few times I've been approached by grown ups who seem to be seriously interested. They ask pointed questions and seem to listen to the answers. I guess I've been lucky that way.

I tell them every once in a while ( mean while I have some in my pouch that I just found :p ) anyways Show them your Gold Plated or gold colored Junk...

Well I live in D.C so I am paranoid all the time, even in the good neighborhoods. On the other hand I am a police officer so I carry my gun with me while I MD which gives me great piece of mind. To all you guys and gals out there who MD unarmed. The answers above are good. Never tell any one that your machine is worth a lot of money or that you have just found something valuable.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean some one isn't out to get you.

Hope I am not a downer but safety first.

I seldom get approached in town since I do my MDing early in the AM. I HOPE I never get approached out in the desert!!!

I used to carry a "show off vial" filled about half full with nuggets tied tightly to a nylon cord around my neck, under my shirt. Most of the shopkeepers in town know I prospect/detect and would ask me what kind of luck I'd had. I'd show them the vial and their eyes would get really big.

I stopped doing that after I realized a few of them quit giving me my "military discount" on stuff I bought from them!!!

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom