Military Novice Seeks Advice

NavyDT

Hello All,
Well im a relative novice to the metal detecting scene. my father purchased a Whites Classic ID for me about 10 years ago that ive used for maybe 100 hours or so. I have been in the military for a number of years and due to a recent change in marital status i will have a lot more free time on my hands this summer. I don't know if i am just unlucky but i have never found any silver to date, hell last time i went out i ended up digging 43 "nickles" that turned out to be manufactured from Miller and our good friends Corona.

now i dont know if im just doing it all wrong but i was thinking of getting a new rig to start me off on the right foot in the hobby. Ive watched some videos and read extensively on this website but im having a hard time what is real hardcore facts and what is just people personal opinions and brand loyalty.

Ive been looking on craigslist and what not, it seams i can get a used Whites M6 for 400ish, a MXT for around 600 ish. i was even considering dumping some real money and getting somthing nicer, but as ive read from other people, its not how deep you can look but how you swing it :p which leads me to think maybe a 250 wouldnt be a bad choice. to be honest i really dont know what to think.

at any rate the communitys help would be much appreciated.
Very Respectfully,
B.A Foster

Welcome to the forum!

The ACE 250 is a nice detector, but a MXT or Minelab 705 would be nicer-- more versatility.

Welcome aboard. It is aways nice to have another squid join our ranks. Best of luck.
Frog

Welcome to the forum, yep we have a squid joining the ranks.. dont worry the devil dog will treat you right;)
I have the MXT and oh boy I am so happy with it!!!
Frankie

Sounds like you already have a decent detector. The biggest thing is location. Most silver coins, unless the ground has been disturbed by heavy equipment or fill added, are well within the reach of the classic. Even with the top of the line detectors you still have to dig the junk to get the goodies. Jewelry will read all over the ID range.

In my opinion, the Ace 250 would not be an upgrade. The M6 and MXT...yes, a little, but your's is definitely a good detector.

Its not so much the detector you have, but the place you are using it. Really do your homework about the location, it can make a huge difference. That being said, the Garrett ace 250 is a good detector, according to others so is the fisher F2. But if you can afford to put in a little more money there are plenty of detectors that will serve you better and help you achieve more finds depending on where you are hunting. Look into the Whites, Garrett, Fisher, and Tesoro lineups and try to get the best detector that suits your style and area and you should be happy.

Like so many say, location can be absolutely critical to finding older coins. As far as finding good locations goes, talk to the real old-timers in your area about where the old dance halls, picnic groves, schools and so forth were located at. You can also get on many local historical society websites and research where the old towns, churches and parks were. Some high schools also have their own online historical web sites which contain a wealth of information on the old-time sites in their area. You can also go to "My Topo" and checkout their Historical Maps for long gone schools and homes around your area. I've found topo maps on their site going back into the late 1800's. Would recommend that you go with the best detector you can afford because the positives out-weigh the negatives, not that the Classic ID wouldn't work just fine, but it would make an even better back-up detector for friends and relatives to use. Good luck with your hunting! Ex-Navyman U.S.S. Dyess DD-880

Welcome from a fellow former Navy guy and MXT user!:D I was a "dry land sailor", a Seabee!!:yes:

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my thread,

A few people addressed location as a problem, and i would like to say i agree wholeheartedly in the assessment that i am hunting the wrong spots. i will have to do some further research and see if i cant find any nice locations. i actually have access to the great lakes naval station so i can see if there are some areas where i can try to locate something to hunt, i might have to check with PMO first.

Are there any definitive guides to the art of the hobby? i think that in the past i must me misreading results and just plain digging the wrong targets. a guy above me mentioned that i should research and find a model that has the features i need, but if i dont know what the features really do how will i know if i need them? i know that sounds maybe a little stupid but i think for people not in the loop its hard to tell what is good and what is just marketing hype.

if anyone is in north eastern illinois and or southern Wisconsin i would love to chat with you.

Very Respectfully,
B.A Foster

Hey Foster, I went to Gunnery School in the big green building in 1978. I left the Nav in 1981 as a GMG2. Spent my time on an old FF USS Trippe.#1075 on a 5" 54 gun mount. Nice to hear from you. Most of what you need to know about M Ding can be found right here on Friendly forum. See ya around the forum . If there is anything I can do to help just ask. Happy Hunting.

Id call and get a manual to the one you have if you dont have it, try and hook up with someone with a little experience. the detector you have is fine for now, master it by practice, the more you use it, the luckier you'll be. spend some time with it and spend a little time on the forums here, in no time you'll have the answer of which md figured out. the 250 is not a step forward in this situation, inn fact i dont think the other two are that much better to warrant shellin out the cabbage..........in other words, run what ya brung!!!!!!!

Your at the right place to learn the hobby. Gather some targets to lay on the ground and see what the detector is showing for ID and the sound made for each (penny, nickel, bottle cap, pull tab, dime, etc.) That will help you avoid digging so much junk. But like I posted earlier, jewelry will ID from foil on up the scale depending on size and type of metal. The descriminator all the way counter clockwise will allow iron and foil to sound. The more you turn it clockwise the less iron sounds through. A good rule of thumb is to put a nickel on the ground and turn the desc slowly clockwise until the nickel starts to breakup or dissapears, then turn it back until the nickel just comes in smoothly. You may miss some small gold items like earrings but you'll dig less bottle caps.
Just some pointers to try...feel free to ask questions...everyone here likes to help.

Thanks to everyone who has read this post,
i will continue to lurk in the shadows and learn what i can.
Very Respectfully,
B.A Foster

Welcome!

If you can search on base you have a good shot at searching areas most detectorists can't get to, increasing the chances that the good stuff hasn't been grabbed by someone before you. The only downside might be if there are a lot of bullets in the ground. I did some hunting at an abandoned army base in my area and ended up digging up TONS of unfired blanks. I got freaked out after a while that thrusting my trowel into the ground and hitting one could set it off, so I went elsewhere.

Welcome Foster. I grew up in your area and went to school at College of Lake County. Have also been to the station a few times. Like you I was very confused trying to pick the right detector. I spent many hours reading reviews and forums. Some of the reviews you have to take with a grain of salt. I ended up with a detector with more features than I understood at the time. Glad I did. After learning my machine I love it. Keep reading and learning. I'm sure you will find the right machine for you. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom