Here's a story of how treasure stories can get started , with all sincerity:

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
I told this story a few years ago, but it bears repeating . An example of how quickly these things can happen , when it comes to treasure legends:

A buddy of mine was doing a sidewalk demolition tearout project , in the oldtown district of his city. It went on for weeks and weeks. The workers would progress 1/2 block at a time. Tearing out, re-cementing, etc.... Working their way down one side of the entire downtown, and then working their way back on the other side of the street.

The trouble was, that they were tearing out, and re-cementing, all in the same day ! So he did not have the liberty to wait till after 5pm when the workers cut out :( He had to work the naked dirt during their lunch hour. Which was risky, of course, because he could have been kicked out ....

So he got the workers to turn a blind eye to him, because he'd pass out common V nickels, IH's, etc.... to the workers. So after a few such days of this, they would eagerly come to him after their lunch hour each day, eager to see his latest finds. And , as usual, he'd pass out a few coins to 'grease the wheels', haha

One such day, at that day's torn out section, he wasn't doing much good. Just some trinkets and junk. One item was an owl shaped amulet, about the size of a chess piece. It was gold in color, and had some sort of red jewels for the eyes.

When it came time for the workers to quiz him on his finds, he showed them the various trinkets and junk. And then showed the workers the owl thing. He mused "might be gold" (d/t the gold color). The workers were floored ! Then he said "probably dates to the 1800s (d/t that was the age of some coins he'd found in nearby sections). And again, the workers were giddy with amazement ! And then my friend pointed to the red eyes and said "might be rubies". This sent the workers over the top !

That night, my friend sorted out his items. He came to the owl charm thing, and was able to study it under magnification. Turns out it was just gold plated. Not gold. And the eyes were nothing but red chips of glass. No rubies. He determined it was just 1920s costume jewelry junk, and tossed it in the trash.

The next day, he was back out at the sidewalk tearout. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see a worker curiously eyeing him. He could see it was a worker that had not been there on any of the previous days. The worker got to a polite distance away, and was eyeing him intently. Eventually got brave, came up to my friend and asked "what have you found ?"

As it turns out, my friend hadn't found anything good so far by this time, so he told the worker "nothing good". At that, the worker launched into a story about how a guy had been here the day before, and found "gold coins from the 1800s!"

My friend was floored ! He was thinking "oh no, someone must have come after I left, and found gold coins ??" So he pumped the worker for information. Thinking that if he had a description of the person, then perhaps he might know who it was.

As the worker described the "gold", a curious word came out of his mouth : "Owl". My friend immediately realized that the worker was talking about HIM ! haha. So he corrected the worker and said : "no, the owl wasn't gold. It was just 1920s costume junk. Nor were any of the coins gold....."

But the worker would not be dissuaded. He figured that someone must have come by , after my friend had left. How did he know ? Because he had it on good authority by his fellow workers, who had told him the story around the water cooler that morning. They'd seen it with their own eyes ! (hard to argue with eye-witnesses, eh ?)

Mind you, this humorous story happened in the space of a single night, via only 3 or 4 involved in the telephone game. You can only imagine what happens after 100 yrs and a dozen re-tellings.

In fact, I'll bet that the guy goes home and tells his son. And then .... 30 yrs. from now, the son tells the story of the "gold coins under the sidewalks of such & such city ...." Who knows ... one day that morphs to a "treasure chest", etc..

Another example to follow :

About 15 yrs. ago, I was at a formal party, with a bunch of friends and acquaintances. Somehow the subject of my hobby of md'ing came up, when talking to one casual acquaintance there.

He launched into a story about how he knows where a cave is, that's probably got Spanish mission era goodies and/or treasure in it. He explained how that when he'd been a kid, 40-ish years earlier, they'd explored this cave, blah blah. And had all the details about why he suspected treasure. Like, for example, a spanish suit of armor had been found in there, back in the 1950s or something. Hhhhhmmmm, sounds interesting eh ?

So he and I hatched a plan that he would take me down there, show me the entrance, and we'd sleuth it together. He would be my guide, and I would be the detector expert person. The cave required ropes to rappel down, etc... It was nearly 2 hrs. drive, so .... for the next week or so, we chit-chatted back and forth, trying to cement a day and time where both of us could join together for the trek.

In that intervening week, the more I thought about the story, the more something rang familiar about it. So I did some key word searching on a few of the parts of the script, and realized where I'd heard/seen it. It was a story , out of many, in a local tourist-trap book, sold in local tourist shops.

The author takes various past newspaper headlines and stories, and weaves them into fanciful legends, haunted spots, etc... And the particular chapter, of this cave, was along this lines:

When the road down the coast, south of Big Sur, was built back in the 1930s, a worker died. The coworkers buried him in a nearby cave. The cave was also a burial spot that the indians had used for centuries, so there was bones down in there. Thus fitting for this modern burial I guess.

Fast forward to the 1950s: Some cave explorers were in this cave. They saw the Indian bones and ...... gasp, ... another skeleton, and THIS one had evidence of western wear/European garb on it . This made the newspaper in Monterey. And somehow, after a few re-tellings , the European garb was morphed into a "suit of armor".

Then the speculations fly upon each re-telling. I mean, ... after all, the spot along the coast was the known location of a mission trail (leading from San Antonio mission, to the coast). I smell treasure, don't you ?

And the book brings out all these speculations, theories of why it could have been a treasure hiding spot, etc..

But the entire time, there's an innocent explanation, that has nothing at all to do with treasure. And the fellow telling me the story, had simply, no doubt, heard the story in his youth, and failed to realize it came from a book that's nothing more than whimsical local legends, with a bunch of cliff-hanger "what if's?" in there.

Mind you, this guy is highly educated & quite sincere.

..I like treasure stories!..I like to run around looking for treasure no matter how nondescript the details are!..Just to get out of the house!

I also tell a pretty good treasure story or two myself, and its TRUE!

I remember.......back in 1998 my favorite Aunt, who was a widow at the time, met and fell in love with a Guy named Dan, and after a time or two, they eventually married...now Dan was a small businessman, smart in the ways of Men and finances, and he embraced the survivalism doctrine as a format to live by...He was very acute to TEOTWAWKI, and looking forward in anticipation, had amassed many wonderful things of the Shooty and Precious Metally kind...

Well Sir, one day on the way home from Church, with Dan at the wheel, Old Dans Heart exploded in a magnificent myocardial infarction, and in less than a second, he was dead behind the wheel...My Aunt managed to gain control of the vehicle and pulled it over...

(This is when it gets good)...So my Aunt, once again a bereaved Widow, not sure who to trust, called upon me and her Son, my cousin.... to help clean out and protect the estate...

And this is how the legend of 'Old Dans Gold' began in our Family History...We tell it around the Campfire every Summer to all the young Nieces and Nephews...We tell about the fake wall in the basement, behind which we found a bunker containing amongst other things of a Survivally nature, a small footlocker, and how Me and my Cousin, at the prime fitness of our youth, struggled to lift it off the floor...

I know my squat lift capability is roughly 250lbs, and my Cousin is 3 yrs younger, 50lbs heavier and stronger than I, so lets say that small footlocker weighed in about 500lbs on the light side...I have never lifted such a heavy and small package as that I can tell you!...Like "how many trolling motor batteries can be in this small trunk?" I wondered...

Anyway, My Aunt has had a wonderful life, she has a place on the lake up here in the Summer and golfs all winter at her place at The Villages..She is quite generous and an accepted undercover philanthropist, she is always laughing!....

Survivalists dont keep their stash all in one place....and Yeah, my Aunt dont keep this stuff in the bank..not when she has a trusted and favorite Nephew like me around to hide it for her! I of course leave this detail out of the story to the Children, I mean, hey, gold treasure does funny things to people, we all know this......:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom