Nox Update + 15" Coil

Azmodeus

Diggin In Illinois
Forum Supporter
Has anyone else tried the update using the 15" coil? My buddy and I both did the update and hit up an old drive-in the other day that's now just an open field. He had the stock coil on and I was using the 15". The update seemed to work great for him using the stock coil but for me right away I was noticing lots of bottlecaps, way more than before I did the update. I think I dug 27 bottle caps in a few hours. We were running the same programs and settings and trying to figure out why I was getting so many caps and he wasn't. We put a few different styles on the ground and his was hitting them at VDI 21-22 and had a distinctive BONK on the end of it and not real solid. The 15" was reading them VDI 24-25 and no BONK, just a crisp high repeatable tone on every one. I know the aluminum caps are not so avoidable but this was every type of cap. I tried park 1, park 2, iron bias all the way up, recovery speed up, recovery speed down, all metal mode. Anyone else experience this with the 15" after update? The 15" probably isn't ideal for high trash sites but it's my fav. coil for the Nox so I guess I will roll back the update for now. Ended up with 2 silver and 27 bottlecaps. Buddy got 4 silver and 3 bottlecaps...:mad:

Your experience with the 15" doesn't sound right. I put it on after the recent update and have had excellent results. Have you tried doing a full reset? What about using the new iron bias setting, F2?

I don't have the EQ-800 but have a few good friends who are Minelab loyalists. One had similar problems with the 15" in heavy trash and went back to the stock 11" for better performance. Personally, I wouldn't use either size if I found a good drive-in theater hunt. Most are long-gone today but I used to work them a good deal. Very productive! (A lot more silver then, too, but that was from '76 'til about '92.)

I believe the main issues have to do with the search coil size combined with it being a Double-D type. Haven't a clue about the 'updates' but do know every make and model of motion-based detector out there will have more issues with things like bottle caps, round washers and other challenging man-made objects of magnetic metals that we didn't have with those "old fashioned" TR and TR-Disc. detectors.

Some tend to handle challenging ferrous debris a little better than others simply due to the overall circuitry design and 'tweaks' (aka 'updates') don't, or can't always fix the issue. I devote the bulk of my detecting time to older, iron-challenged sites and am very selective on the makes and model detector I use to best handle things like rusty tin, iron washers, bottle caps, etc.

Dense trash calls for detector selection, search coil selection, and using sweep techniques to do Audio Target Classification (A.T.C.) which can be very effective because most of that type of trash is located from surface to about the 2"-3" depth. Been using these techniques since late '71 with any detector in terrible little sites.

If you two used the same detectors and same settings, then the only difference in results came from search coil choice, coil-sweep presentation, and/or one of you getting luckier than the other or a better area selection at the hunt site. (... OR ... there could be issues caused by the software update ???)

Monte

Your experience with the 15" doesn't sound right. I put it on after the recent update and have had excellent results. Have you tried doing a full reset? What about using the new iron bias setting, F2?

This was using the new F2 feature. Any way you can put 4 or 5 different style caps on the ground and test for me? I guess I will try a full reset and see if that does anything. The only difference in this case was the stock coil vs my 15" coil and like I mentioned, when we put some on top of the ground and tested it his came in 3 numbers lower 21-22 and made a distinctive choppy bonk sound with it that indicated junk but mine came in 24-25 and sounded crystal clear. I was just wondering if anyone else using the 15 had similar results. Probably shouldn't have thrown the caps away, now I gotta find some more to do a test after the reset :roll:

I have an 800 with 6", stock and 15" coil and the new update and a handful of rusty bottle caps. I will throw some the ground tomorrow and compare with the stock and 15" coil. Should be interesting.

15 inch vs stock coil on bottle caps version 2 update

three bottle caps:

#1 modern
#2 little rust
#3 covered in rust

Equinox 800 with stock coil, park 1, F2= 0, multi

1 - 7-13-14
2 - 10 -14
3 - 8 - 14

switch on all metal mode get iron tone and negative numbers -1 thru -5 bouncing.

What is missing is the distinctive bottle cap tone.

Switch to 5 khz and you get that distinctive bottle cap tone.
Change back to multi and F2 = 9 almost lose all audio signal.

15" coil Equinox 800, park 1, F2= 0, multi
1 - 14-15
2 - 13-14
3 - 14 -15
missing the bottle cap tone.

at multi and F2 = 9 almost no tone
all metal get iron tone and -2 - 3 numbers.

swtich to 5khz and get these numbers that sound exactly like a solid silver coin target.

1 - 33-34
2 - 26-30
3 - 30 -33

At F2=9 you will not hear bottle caps or barely.
to be sure, switch to 5khz on either coil and hear the telltale bottle cap yelp as apposed to a nice clipped coin sound.

That's all folks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom