problem coyote just got our smallest dog. revenge time

Swing360

curbstrip nut
Forum Supporter
Welp... we've seen this rather large coyote romping around the last few weeks and even being aware of the issue somehow the Yorkie which belongs to the twins (they are 6) was left out for 10 mins (apparently 5 too long) and the coyotes got her. Now normally our two labs hang out with her, but she is in heat so we put them up so they will leave her alone to go to the bathroom. And that was the undoing I guess. We should have known better, yadada, but what is done is done.

Now the coyotes are FOR SURE going to be hanging around, so we are just going to eliminate the problem. Is there a special method for baiting a coyote? I've been bear, moose, elk and small game hunting, but never a coyote because they resemble dogs too much and I'm a dog guy... however in the interest of our pups and the neighbors animals these guys gotta go!

do we just leave a recording of an annoying small dog or jack rabbit or what? We will be using high powered air rifles to dispatch ideally the two largest of the 4 or so of them and hope the rest get the hint.

Sorry for the rant. this isn't something I am proud to have to do, but we have plenty of animals and live stock around that these guys can do some serious damage rather quickly if they keep becoming more and more brazen.

I don't know anything, but not sure an air rifle would do what you're looking for... Maybe a leg trap, then a few rounds??

These guys know for sure...

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Get them bastards!!!

Good luck!

<°)))>{

These air rifles are designed to take down coyotes, hogs, bigger small game. .45 and .50 call rounds. My wifes dad uses them for hog hunting in Arkansas.

They are going to wish they never came around. That's for sure

Probably use a rabbit distress call. I don't like killing animals. But I'd blow a Coyotes head off. Where my sister lives even cats usually can't run up a tree in time. They have Coyotes walking around during the day. Might be worth buying some live traps? I know around here to catch Bobcats they have traps with a side cage you put a live chicken in. I'd at least find some chicken tail feathers and hang them from a string so it looks like a bird moving.

FWIW. My old boss had a Possum eating his chickens. He shot it in the coupe as I was pulling up to go to work. Left it til we got back. We got back and the chickens had ate the possum. He quit eating chicken after that:lol:

If you want to bait them get a road kill deer and set it out for them. Have the animal control person get you one or a C.O. An air gun isn't going to do it! If there are fence rows around find one with a hole and hang a snare trap. This is a good way to get them. Have caught several this way.

before you say a 45 or a 50 cal air rifle will not kill one look it up an go shoot one they will do the job let us know after you shoot coyote lol take care all

mud dauber out

Good luck , we're having problems here also . I have a Lab and two Shhoodle's , I have tried warning shots to discourage them , they come back after a couple of weeks . Thanks for posting , this is a wake up call for me !!!
Sorry for your loss and especially the heart break for the kids . Your post may save a lot of kids from this kind trauma.
Thanks again , Ricki

I've been a state licensed nuisance wildlife trapper for years.

Leg hold traps if legal in your area will be the best method. Not an easy skill to learn but a little research and a few YouTube videos will get you started.

Coyotes are everywhere. Just a few weeks ago I was trapping in one of the largest cities on the east coast in the shadow of a 30 story high rise building. And before that coyotes were at a school bus depot.

There are a few less now.....;)

sorry to hear that your kids lost their pet to those "things". :(
bait them in with chicken, road kill, whatever it takes. maybe even try to bring them in a couple of times before you pull the trigger. they're smart and they may smell a rat initially.
and use lots of patience! and i'm sure those 45 or 50 call air guns aren't no little Daisy's, lol. :rifle:

Large caliber powerful air rifles were developed mostly for countries who have had the government take their firearm rights away from them or where owning a conventional firearm is just to much trouble with paperwork and permits that most give up. As mentioned already coyotes are smart and aware of their surrounding's and unless you're within a city limit where a firearm can't be discharged I'd go for a round that would allow me more range the closer you are the more you'll have to know the animal you're after. The younger ones will have been taught by the mature ones where the easiest food sources are so not sure if leaving any of them alone will get the job done. Several have mentioned leg hold traps one of the easiest traps if legal in your state is a snare very cheap and easy to use snares don't rely on fooling them with a bait set. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about the pup. Unless you plan on killing everyone you can I wouldn't advise using food for bait. The smell will carry and attract lots of different types of animals and maybe other coyotes that aren't using your property. Then all of them will look at your property like a food source. It seems you see them enough and should be able to get a shot off at some point. Maybe try a electronic game call.

I run a hunting lodge and we do lots of Predator hunting. Rabbit in Distress or pups in distress ought to bring them in if they haven't been called a lot. In our neck of the woods the only good coyote is a dead coyote!

Definitely the distressed rabbit noises. My dad has called and killed many a coyote with it. I take it you're not in a rural area? If not, that rabbit call will drive your neighbors crazy, they sound hideous.

Coyotes are in the rural areas around here, they come around the horses but don't bother them. The other day they devoured a calf carcass though.

I try the city, county, or state animal control first, before going do-it-yourself, it's part of what we pay taxes for... Coyotes aren't the dumbest animals, and have very strong senses. If they can't or won't come out a deal with them, they can sure point you to some helpful information on dealing with them.

Sorry to hear about the Yorkie, my mom's favorite breed. I'm not a huge fan, myself, too small and hyper. Was always afraid of stepping on them. Couldn't bring my lab over with me, he isn't a real smart dog, will play with anything. Ever see a dog catch a lizard under it's paw? Yep, that's how Jake got Allie to stop running around crazy...

The bummer thing about those small breeds, is they've got some heart, and will try to defend you and your home, regardless of the size or threat. Usually doesn't turn out too well. The black bears over in Seminole county kill a lot of small breed dogs, but not as food, since the just leave the body behind. Florida is considering lifting the ban on hunting black bear, just for that reason. Guess it's the price the bears have to pay, for standing in the way of growth and land development.

Coyotes are more scavenger, than hunters. Baiting or calling them in, might not be a great idea. I don't know where you live, or your surroundings, whether the coyotes call it home, or just passing through. The better the food and water situation, the more likely they are to hang around.

If you do manage to kill one or two, I'd leave them set for a couple of days, the others know the scent of dead coyote, and know the price of food there, little more than most wish to spend on dinner...

Alright team, I've gotten some great PM's and some great tips here. Now again team, this rifle will easily kill a coyote, 250lb wild hog, human whatever... these rifles are designed specifically to take down this kind of game and that's what we will use them for. Again. These ARE NOT little .177cal pellet rifles That will just hurt the animal.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sam_Yang_Big_Bore_909S/516

That's almost the exact rifles we will be using.

I live in a HOA community where the houses are plenty dispersed, although not enough to want to shoot a FMJ down range at night. These guys are brazen enough to come up to our garage at night since the labs sleep in kennels in the garage they know their is "food" in their. We plan on baiting them to the garage and using the garage as the backdrop for our shots. We have a carriage house that sits on the property facing the garage where we will be taking our shots from (46yds). We are going to try several methods over the next few weeks and hopefully get them in and comfortable.

Thanks for the link. However, I couldn't do anything about the coyotes even I wanted to. I live in the city, my horse is on someone else's property in the country.

That said, it's rare for a coyote to attack a horse. Coyotes are opportunistic hunters that like to look for weak/injured/old prey, a healthy, adult horse would be difficult to catch and bring down. Sure a pack of coyotes could do it, but it would be dangerous for them, a coyote could be killed instantly will a well-placed kick, or be seriously wounded. Much like lions try to avoid attacking wildebeest because of the injury potential, I don't think a horse would be a coyote's first choice. Also if the horse was kept with other horses, as mine is, the chance of attack is even less. A herd of horses are well-equipped to defend themselves. Like zebras, they will gather in small groups of horses with similar colors/patterning to confuse predators, and they will keep mares with their foals in the center of the herd to protect them.

For anyone dealing with coyotes around horses or cattle, I will tell you what the best defense against them is: a donkey. Not kidding. While a horse's instinct tells it to run when threatened, a donkey will stay and fight. I remember at a farm nearby the owner told me his mini donkey, Eyore, pinned an aggressive stray dog to the ground and was biting and striking at it, the dog's yelps woke them up to witness this.

Here is an interesting video about guard animals (donkeys and llamas) protecting a flock of sheep from coyotes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8oO-GypOLA
And a video about a donkey that protects calves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z5bAfbTHWg

Back
Top Bottom