CCL Questions?

kelpike

Elite Member
I know many of you carry concealed when detecting. I am wondering how hard or easy it was to get your license? I just recently applied for mine and I know some states are stricter than others, I live in Mass. Also, If I do get it, what would be a good "beginner pistol" to start with? I am left handed as I know that may limit my options on certain pistols.

I conceal every single day even when I hunt, with the exception of schools, I will carry everywhere else I hunt. Get a gun you feel comfortable with. You will get a million opinions but the best gun you can get is the one you will feel comfortable with pulling out and using if the time comes.

On that note, I will make a recommendation. I carry the Springfield Armory XD 40 subcompact. It is real tiny and packs a punch. I carry it with me all day long and it never hurts my skin.

Get a good holster.

Another gun I am considering as my new carry is the Taurus Curve. It is a brand new gun that isn't even out yet. Read about it, it's real strange looking but very practical. It is a .380. I believe the Curve is geared towards rightys but they might make lefty versions real soon. It should be out in February if my mind serves me correct.

I am a righty and that is my opinion. Carry what you will be comfortable with. Don't get something that will scare you when you pull the trigger. Shoot guns and get a feel of what style and caliber you like. Don't get ideas from gun salesmen unless you want a .50 cal desert eagle, which are really awesome guns but probably a little to big to conceal while MDing :laughing:

Virgina is a real easy state to get a CCW. It took me $15 and 3 weeks and I got mine in the mail. They didn't even need my SS number. Some states are impossible unless you are law enforcement.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

I totally agree about which weapon to purchase. You'll have to head down to the local gun dealer and actually put hands-on until you find something you like.

Pennsylvania is stupid easy to get a permit. $20 and 20 minutes, and you walk out with one. They make one call and run your name and SSN, so as long as you're not a felon, you're in.

I vary between my Rock Island .45 and the Ruger .380, depending on where I'm heading.

Good luck!

My wife and I both carry Beretta Tomcats. Simple proven design has been around for years and the flip up barrel makes checking or clearing the barrel instant and sure.

There are so many good carry guns out now it was a bit overwhelming, so we went with what has worked for years.

Good luck! :grin:

I'm actually an instructor.... Lol..

I'm not familiar with MA's laws but that shouldn't be tough to research.

Being lefty won't affect your pistol shooting, but it does limit your holster options. I shoot with either hand, but I carry lefty. I carry either an XDS45 or a Glock 26, depending on how I'm dressed. The XDS is about the size of most .380s with a similar number or rounds. I can carry it in gym shorts without my shorts hitting the floor.

Anyone can give you all the advice in the world on what to carry, but ultimately it needs to be a pistol that fits you and you're comfortable with. Most ranges allow you to rent firearms.

I don't ascribe to the bigger is better as far as caliber. My .45 is useless in my wife's hands, but she can get every round in a pie plate with a 9mm.

Semi auto or revolver? Depends on how much you'll train and how comfortable you are clearing blockages in a tactical situation.

Feel free to private message me.

I carry when ever I leave the house and sometimes in the house---One in my carry bag and one on me. I'm up in years and just about every-week you hear where some one kicked in a door at a elderly person home and robbed them.--Just today I heard on news a elderly man fired 8 shots at some one that tried to break into his home..---If I'm not carrying in the house I always have a weapon in easy reach in every room---Wife and I both been shooting for years

Try Buzz Wilson

Buzz is a leather crafter here on FMDF, and a lot of people are very pleased with his work. Why not look at holsters for right handed people and when you find one you like have him make a left handed version for you.
HH & GL
John Morton

BTW, several people on FMDF have mentioned a brand of gun they like, "Bersa". They are made in Argentina, and the dollar has recently gone up in relation to Argentinian money, so you might get a good del on one of those, if you decide you want one. I have never even seen one, so cannot give an opinion.

Fl. was a 4 hour class and two shots from a .22 they supply to a target of Osama Bin Ladens head. Tip of the day. Learn to shoot without using the sights. You can't see them in the dark. You practice a lot you can neuter someone running off with your etrac. If you are off a bit they'll be using lots more toilet paper:lol:

I carry a can of that 50kv dielectric wasp spray. Deadly at a range of about 20 feet, same as most small pistols...not sure of the legalities of using as a weapon, but it does terrible damage to the flesh.

I carry a can of that 50kv dielectric wasp spray. Deadly at a range of about 20 feet, same as most small pistols...not sure of the legalities of using as a weapon, but it does terrible damage to the flesh.
Good luck with that.
Combat zone is 21ft. Which means that a bad guy with a knife within 21ft can charge you and have an even shot of getting to you by the time you can draw and ready a weapon.

I know many of you carry concealed when detecting. I am wondering how hard or easy it was to get your license? I just recently applied for mine and I know some states are stricter than others, I live in Mass. Also, If I do get it, what would be a good "beginner pistol" to start with? I am left handed as I know that may limit my options on certain pistols.

I'm a lefty as well...

Get yourself this book... its very helpful

http://www.amazon.com/In-Gravest-Extreme-Personal-Protection/dp/0936279001

My gun shoots a lot farther than 20 feet, and has more effect on the body then any can of spray !!!

Thanks for all the replies so far. I actually just won an auction for "In The Gravest Extreme" today. He also has a newer version of this book out now which I will purchase at some point. http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Force-...8&qid=1423175002&sr=8-1&keywords=deadly+force I've been buying every magazine and book I can get my hands on about guns and concealed carry. It will take 2 to 3 months to receive a reply about my license.
I'm a lefty as well...

Get yourself this book... its very helpful

http://www.amazon.com/In-Gravest-Extreme-Personal-Protection/dp/0936279001

...It will take 2 to 3 months to receive a reply about my license.

That's because Mass. is a "May Issue" state. Most others are "Shall Issue" states. The difference being in most states if you meet all of the criteria they will give you a license. In Mass. and a few others, if you meet all of the criteria they may give you a license. Or they may not. Sometimes it depends on who you know or how "connected" you are. :(

That's interesting that they'll issue a CCW prior to you purchasing a firearm. Here in my county in California, not only were you required to take a firearms class which included qualifying with your firearms at a range, but also required that any firearms that you want on your CCW, up to a limit of five, has to be brought in when you apply so they can run the sn's and registration.

I carry everyday also, I'm left handed no problem with any weapon. Check with the state laws and how to take the conceal carry course. If military they will waver the course. I have almost every gun imaginable. I like the S&W sheld in 9mm. Then the glock 42 in .380 they both have green lasers for quick accusation and for night encounters. The best beach pistol I have is the NAA .22 mag. Very small and very accurate up to 21ft. If you're going to carry you have to have a different mind set. Remerber EVERY BULLET HAS AN ATTONEY ATACHED TO IT. Know what is behind your target at all times. Good luck and good decision, and join the NRA.

That's interesting that they'll issue a CCW prior to you purchasing a firearm. Here in my county in California, not only were you required to take a firearms class which included qualifying with your firearms at a range, but also required that any firearms that you want on your CCW, up to a limit of five, has to be brought in when you apply so they can run the sn's and registration.

Man I'm so glad I live in Florida. That nosence hasn't made it here yet.

Back
Top Bottom