Minelab Sovereign Elite coil question.

Chipk

Elite Member
My SOV coil broke so I bought a replacement online. The new coil arrived but the box connector has 6 male pins and the coil has 4 male pins. WTH?

Has something changed? What do I do?

Wrong coil is the simple answer.

Either you ordered a search coil not intended for the Sovereign, or the seller didn't have a clue and sent you the wrong coil. It happens. Just contact the seller, let them know there was an error, and exchange it for the proper search coil or get a refund.

It appears from your Signature that you have other detectors on-hand so let me ask, do you still enjoy using the Sovereign that much or have you considered an upgrade/update to a more capable newer detector for your types of hunting?

I owned a few Sovereigns, my favorite being an XS2APro that I kind of enjoyed more than my FBS Explorers, of which I owned about 6 or 7. The Sovereign worked better for me in a few site environments with some EMI challenges, but over time, I used some other models that also worked well for those sites, and better yet they were lighter-weight and better-balanced so ..... I upgraded and let the Sovereign go. A very good detector, but so are the units I moved on to, and even those have been replaced by more versatile performers.

I've also found, either myself or from contact with friends who have difficulty finding coils for some of their out-of-production and dated models, that it can be annoying trying to find the right coil and all the while the detector keeps aging and the value (of many but not all models) keeps declining.

Don't take me wrong about my question because I currently own .. and use .. some older and out-of-production models myself. The oldest is my White's XLT, a model that dates to 1994, a Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX that were first produced 22 years ago in Oct. of '97, a modified White's IDX Pro to about 2000/2001, and even my first Nokta FORS CoRe made in 2014 and I got my specimen in Jan. '15 and FORS Relic in Jan. '16.

The only currently manufactured models in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit this morning are a Makro Racer 2 and XP ORX. All work excellent and are a perfect 'fit' for many desired hunting tasks and each gof them ets used ... often. So I'm not discouraging the use of the Sovereign, just curious if it's providing all you want and need for the types of detecting you do.

I hope all works out on getting the right search coil.

Monte

Wrong coil is the simple answer.

Either you ordered a search coil not intended for the Sovereign, or the seller didn't have a clue and sent you the wrong coil. It happens. Just contact the seller, let them know there was an error, and exchange it for the proper search coil or get a refund.

It appears from your Signature that you have other detectors on-hand so let me ask, do you still enjoy using the Sovereign that much or have you considered an upgrade/update to a more capable newer detector for your types of hunting?

I owned a few Sovereigns, my favorite being an XS2APro that I kind of enjoyed more than my FBS Explorers, of which I owned about 6 or 7. The Sovereign worked better for me in a few site environments with some EMI challenges, but over time, I used some other models that also worked well for those sites, and better yet they were lighter-weight and better-balanced so ..... I upgraded and let the Sovereign go. A very good detector, but so are the units I moved on to, and even those have been replaced by more versatile performers.

I've also found, either myself or from contact with friends who have difficulty finding coils for some of their out-of-production and dated models, that it can be annoying trying to find the right coil and all the while the detector keeps aging and the value (of many but not all models) keeps declining.

Don't take me wrong about my question because I currently own .. and use .. some older and out-of-production models myself. The oldest is my White's XLT, a model that dates to 1994, a Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX that were first produced 22 years ago in Oct. of '97, a modified White's IDX Pro to about 2000/2001, and even my first Nokta FORS CoRe made in 2014 and I got my specimen in Jan. '15 and FORS Relic in Jan. '16.

The only currently manufactured models in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit this morning are a Makro Racer 2 and XP ORX. All work excellent and are a perfect 'fit' for many desired hunting tasks and each gof them ets used ... often. So I'm not discouraging the use of the Sovereign, just curious if it's providing all you want and need for the types of detecting you do.

I hope all works out on getting the right search coil.

Monte

To answer your question, since I don’t want to spend the bucks fot a newer machine I am ok with the SOV. I rarely hint the beach and this has performed well for me. I use it in the damp sand along the waterline to mid calf depth. Our water here is very strong and I got tired of getting beat up by the waves and knocked off my targets. I use a belt mount to alleviate the weight issue. I’m trying to find someone to adopt my sand shark.

I came to the same conclusion you did and informed the seller it needs to come home.

Back
Top Bottom