Knights of the Golden Circle

DougF

Elite Member
I bought the book "Knights Gold" on Kindle a couple months ago, after seeing a reference to it on a MD blog. Author is Jack Meyers (I have no connection to the author). The book is about the author's research into the origin of the Baltimore hoard of 1934. This hoard was dug up in the dirt basement floor of a row house in Baltimore by two boys. The total find was about 5,000 gold coins dated from 1834 to 1856. Another book ("Treasure in the Cellar") told the story of the court case resulting from the find and what happened to the boys. (They did get to keep the treasure, although one died before receiving any of the proceeds)

"Knight Gold" is about how the author puts together the evidence and shows that the gold was probably a cache hidden by the Knights of the Golden Circle, an underground pro-Confederate organization. A lot of history and well researched. Some of the aspects covered in the book are: John Wilkes Booth, Jesse James, the Civil War, pre-Civil war activities of the KGC, and Baltimore politics (which at the time were very pro-Confederacy). It turns out that the owner of the house during the Civil War was likely a KGC member who died unexpectedly not long after the war. The KGC apparently hid many of these caches across the country, which were supposed to be used later in their efforts to continue the fight.

The book is not light reading but I recommend it if you enjoy reading history.

Sounds interesting. And I like reading about history , so I'll be trying to find the book. I'm not into the kindle stuff, so hopefully I can find a paperback version. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom