"New" member, back again

MDLocal

Hi all,

I am a new again member to the forum, having been here before but now with a new name and hopefully for good. I have been in and out of the hobby since 2005 and got the bug again last year when I bought a new house and started hunting it (not all that successfully due to the sprinkler system on the lawn) and now this year again full force.

I have been in and out of the hobby for many reasons but one of the biggest ones, stupidly, was having been unable to shake the "stigma" surrounding the hobby. Instead of just going out and finding spots to detect and enjoy myself, I always found myself looking over my shoulder to see who was watching and worrying about what they were thinking.

Well, either way I've gotten the bug big time now and feel I am here to stay. The Mrs. supports the hobby and I'm even getting the kids into it now so you know what? Who cares what anyone else thinks. It really is unbelievably fun and exciting.

I'm currently swinging a Teknetics T2 SE (non-upgraded to the DST version) with a Garrett Ace 250 as a backup. Just picked up a Garrett Pro Pointer AT after having a Vibraprobe 560 for 12 years and I love the Garrett.

I'm looking forward to being a part of the forum.

Also, despite my avatar, I live in New England, but have a strong love for NYC, hence it and the name.

HH all.

MD, Welcome back to the forum from Western Washington! If you still are apprehensive while out there, go early to the park when the sun is just coming up. You will get a couple hours undisturbed. GL

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Glad to hear you're back, and remember you could always wear a T-shirt like one of these and maybe people won't think twice about what you're doing :lol:
Tshirttrash2.jpg Tshirtpulltab.jpg

Welcome back to the forum from Western NY

:welcome2:

Listen, not sure how old you are, which might have a bit to do with how you feel about what others think, but screw them, it doesn't really matter what they think!

I don't give a rats you know what about what people think about what i'm doing as long as I enjoy it, thats all that matters! By the way, that stigma you are worried about is mostly how you feel about it, deep I know! I usually get positive feedback about metal detecting.

So go out there and have fun!!

Wecome from Rockland MA

Hi all,

I am a new again member to the forum, having been here before but now with a new name and hopefully for good. I have been in and out of the hobby since 2005 and got the bug again last year when I bought a new house and started hunting it (not all that successfully due to the sprinkler system on the lawn) and now this year again full force.

I have been in and out of the hobby for many reasons but one of the biggest ones, stupidly, was having been unable to shake the "stigma" surrounding the hobby. Instead of just going out and finding spots to detect and enjoy myself, I always found myself looking over my shoulder to see who was watching and worrying about what they were thinking.

Well, either way I've gotten the bug big time now and feel I am here to stay. The Mrs. supports the hobby and I'm even getting the kids into it now so you know what? Who cares what anyone else thinks. It really is unbelievably fun and exciting.

I'm currently swinging a Teknetics T2 SE (non-upgraded to the DST version) with a Garrett Ace 250 as a backup. Just picked up a Garrett Pro Pointer AT after having a Vibraprobe 560 for 12 years and I love the Garrett.

I'm looking forward to being a part of the forum.

Also, despite my avatar, I live in New England, but have a strong love for NYC, hence it and the name.

HH all.

Happy Treasure Hunting
dennis

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Glad to hear you're back, and remember you could always wear a T-shirt like one of these and maybe people won't think twice about what you're doing :lol:
View attachment 389892 View attachment 389893

Thanks GKL, I might have to grab one of those.

Thanks also everyone for the well wishes. There are many other things that kept me out of the hobby, including work, home and life in general but I found even when I had the time I didn't get out like I should have and shame on me for that. I did live and primarily hunt in a busy urban area where MD/THing is not popular or often seen; but again, no excuse.

Thanks again for the welcome and I hope to get some photos up once the finds start coming again.

At one time I felt like you did and this was when I first started. Some sites I get the jitters the first few minutes but when I pop those headphones on and start getting signals the world fades away. Sometimes so long that I forgot I told my wife I would be home an hour ago :laughing:

Anyway most people are just curious about what your doing and or finding. You have those that do want to give you a hard time but most of the time I pretend I can't hear them and if I am on public ground well they can stare at my backside as I bend down to retrieve more treasure :shock:

If I am approached I am friendly but I don't go out to public places looking to give others a hard time for what they do. Anyway just my 2c

.... I have been in and out of the hobby for many reasons but one of the biggest ones, stupidly, was having been unable to shake the "stigma" surrounding the hobby. Instead of just going out and finding spots to detect and enjoy myself, I always found myself looking over my shoulder to see who was watching and worrying about what they were thinking......

MD-local, are you aware that this "looking over your shoulder" persona will actually only become a self-fulfilling phenomenon ?

Whenever someone (in any activity) displays an "oh no, does he see me?" evasive persona, then a person who sees you react that way, WILL REACT ACCORDINGLY . Subconsciously: When anyone see you looking at them with that persona, it will merely make them think "Gee, what is that person doing ?" and "Gee is that allowed?", etc...... Contrast to the person who "acts like he owns the place", that person is totally ignored. :roll: Doh !

Welcome back. You know, I also was somewhat self-conscious when I started this hobby about 7 months ago. I hunted the most out-of-the-way places to make sure that I was alone, and would leave if anyone showed up or noticed me.

Since I started finding cool stuff, the hobby has become very rewarding and enjoyable for me, and my stigma gradually wore off. Now I really don't care who is watching or what they are thinking, because I am justified in my mind: I find cool and valuable items and I really enjoy myself.

Welcome back!

I thought I would have the fear you did but I went out early before most people were out and I got over any of that apprehension. Just wear earphones and concentrate on finding and you won't have to deal with anyone's BS. Happy Hunting!:detector:

Back
Top Bottom