What is the composition of the discoloration build up on long buried clad coins?

Mikey48

Forum Supporter
Does anyone know what the chemical reaction is that takes place on clad coins long buried in the ground? Is it a galvanic reaction between the copper and silver? Can it be reversed electrically using electrolysis?
and....
I am not sure if one should be using an acidic cleaner like vinegar, or a basic cleaner like ammonia to do the best/quickest job when cleaning clad in a tumbler. Do you use the same batch of tumbling media for both copper and clad coins, and just run them separately; or have separate media for each?

The composition depends on what metal the coin is made of , but a buried coin is exposed to acids and minerals in the soil , the reaction of the metal coming in contact with the substance and slight electrical charges ( natural , in ground electrolysis ) is what causes the surface of the coin to oxidize or break down. A stronger acid can strip off the outside layer of oxidation or discoloration , and Im not sure about the exact reaction of a base like ammonia used to clean coins only that it softens the material you want to clean off a coin and has the ability to penetrate so that it comes off more easily. Either one can also ruin or discolor certain metals if not done correctly but generally , cleaning with a base is less destructive than with an acid.

When tumbling with acid , the acid does most of the work.....when tumbling with a base the media does most of the work. I used to use vinegar ( acid ) for tumbling and it was quick to work but usually caused more damage to the coins. I now use ammonia ( base ) because even though it seems to take longer it does less damage to the coin but still gives a good result. Just be sure to tumble pennies separate ( and shorter time ) with either one.

Back
Top Bottom