Internet much faster now

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
We have a lan cord plugged into a wireless router box that feeds two desktops and a couple laptops. Lately our internet connection has been horrible, it would work decent if just one of the computers was being used, more than 1 and it was slower than dial-up if it connected at all. I don't know why but I plugged the router box into a different outlet and it is like a new connection. The speed has greatly improved and more than one computer can use the internet at the same time and still work fine. It was plugged into one of the plugs like in the picture. Just thought that I would pass this along.

Attachments

• ourlet.jpeg
    ourlet.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 107
Maybe the resetting of the router box by unplugging and plugging back in affected your speed, but just switching outlets cannot affect your connection speed. Power has nothing to do with connection/transfer speed.

Now I am not an electricity expert, but I worked in the computer field for 35 years.

Maybe the resetting of the router box by unplugging and plugging back in affected your speed, but just switching outlets cannot affect your connection speed. Power has nothing to do with connection/transfer speed.

Now I am not an electricity expert, but I worked in the computer field for 35 years.
I have plugged and unplugged my router box many many times over the last few months, I noticed that the 4 outlet box was not making a good connection, every time I would just barely touch it everything plugged into it would go out. I don't think it was putting out a full 120 volts at times.

Now that is odd, but I work on IT services every day, and I have seen instances where a "dirty" AC voltage source has contributed to digital code violations on a modem or router, causing slow speeds and disconnects.

Back
Top Bottom