Indiana ghost town! Given permission!!!

tater

Elite Member
I have been trying to track down the owner of a certain ghost town here in indiana for the last 2 years. Well today was the day! I finally was able to find them!. It is owned by a doctor about 25 miles away and he was VERY excited to find out about the history.
I explained to him that i provide his property with fire protection and my grandmother lived nearby. I told him that i did research for peop-le on the properties. I then asked for permission to detect. He said he would actually love it if i did as long as i called him and told him what i found. I told him that i most certainly would call him and that i was gratefull for him letting me hunt there.
I hung up the phone and got dressed for the 15 degree weather. Me and my son put on thermal skivs and 3 sweatshirts. We detected for 20 minutes before we were to cold to move and had to come home. We found musketballs, lead, shotgun shell and many brass and copper things before we left. Tomarrow it will be 29 degrees. Hope i dont get frostbite because im hunting. The ground was frozen about 2 inches and the rest was decent. WISH ME LUCK this indiana boy is hunting tomarrow!!!!!!!

My daughter lives in indiana north of fort wayne now. i'll be hunting there this summer so save me a spot.:lol: Good luck.

Tater

Ya did good, incredible getting permission to hunt. I know there will be lots of old nails and metal to contend with, but there will be all the standard locations to mess with, sidewalks, old tree stumps, curbs, I can only imagine your fun to come.

Keep us posted as you explore, now I hafta go find a ghost town of my own to dig up.

Best of luck, ColoKid

How did you go about finding the owner? I have a ghost town I have my eye on but I'm trying to figure out how to find out who owns it! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

How did you go about finding the owner? I have a ghost town I have my eye on but I'm trying to figure out how to find out who owns it! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Do a google search of your county then GIS after that. Heres an example. Delaware County Indiana GIS

I havent hunted all of this town. It is just a field now. Nothing is standing. No sidewalks, no foundations, nothing at all.
I did find several indianheads. 1859,1865,1907. I hit this site several years ago but it was sold. I still have the old school and church to do. The church was said to have close to 150 members in its prime.
The first time i hunted it we found bust half dime, bust dimes. silver 3 cents, 2 cent pieces, indianheads, several wedding bands, tokens and a lot of household stuff. We only did half the town when the farmer sold on both sides of the road. We are going to try the other side we have never hunted this weekend

Back
Top Bottom