TV show about metal detecting in Florida

Hi,

My name is Tom Bauer and I work for Pixcom Productions in
Montreal. You might have heard we're looking for guys, or
gals, to be on our series about metal detecting in Florida.

If you ever wanted to be on TV, now's your chance. We're
looking for upbeat people who metal detect. Whether you're detecting
Spanish treasure or seeking bling along the towel line, the
most important thing for the show is that you're a serious
metal detectorist with a purpose.

We're looking for upbeat fun people who want to be on TV
talking about how cool it is to find stuff out there. We're
especially interested in serious detectorists, folks trying to
make a living at it or pay bills, people with long-range
goals, who use their skills to find enough stuff for a down
payment on a house or new vehicle.

If you're new to it, with big dreams, that's perfect.
We're interested in knowing how well this pursuit can pay.
Is it really enough to pay a few bills? How good do you have
to be to get by? Are some metal detectorists really better than others,
or is it all luck?

Please get in touch, and thanks for reading.

Tom Bauer
514 489 5499
[email protected]
http://www.pixcom.com/en/home.html

Ahh Heck!

What's the pay like Tom? How many folks are you going to video pulling pulltabs and marine screws for hours before you start planting bling? I have been doing this for 35-years, and about 30 of those years add up to a lot of walking, swinging and digging with nothing but scrap metal and good friends to show.

Seriously Tom, this aint our first rodeo. If it is an hour show, how do you plan to fill the 57-minutes of frustration and hard physical labor when the diggers are finding trash? Three-minutes of folks finding clad coins and occasional bling does not make a show..

Why can't I find a backer with more money than brains? :laughing:

images.jpg
YES!

what do you say Chief, you want to be on TV
askchief.jpg

ma, ma, Mac ca, ca, can i go too?
billy.jpg

maybe we take the whole gang
gang1.jpg
the mental defective league... in formation

No it isn't enough to live on, you might find a gold ring 1 in 5 trips to the beach, if you are lucky.

We don't walk off the beach with pockets full of gold, like people seem to think...

A T.V. show about beach detecting would be boring, you would end up showing fake finds to keep the viewers interested, and ruining the hobby while you are at it... not that you care.

20 years ago, detectorists found a lot of gold on the beaches, but it's slim pickings now a days, you are 20 years too late... there are a few guys that are finding good amounts of gold, but they are hitting beaches that nobody has ever detected before, like the great lakes, japan, etc. Florida has the most hard hunted beaches in the country...

I just hope that if you do go through with this T.V. show, that you are honest about how little gold we find, and don't make it seem like we are getting rich, or even living off of it. Or we will have hundreds of detectorists scouring every beach, for the little gold that is left, killing the hobby.

Sarasota County here.

E-mail sent. Would love to be a part of something like this. I could play the aspiring up and coming newbie!

Hi,

If you're new to it, with big dreams, that's perfect.
We're interested in knowing how well this pursuit can pay.
Is it really enough to pay a few bills?
http://www.pixcom.com/en/home.html

Really, the best place to do a show would be the "Old Country" with old ground and real treasure to be found.

You can shoot days, weeks, even months of footage before someone will hit a gold ring, old Spanish Coin or something.

If this goes the way of most 'Reality Shows' today, it will not be reality. It will be roughly scripted, scenes set up and things will be planted.

What happened to the Storage Auction business will happen to Detecting... Everyone & their mother will be showing up at beaches and parks digging around. i think state & local laws would change very quickly due to onset of people.

I apologize in advance for what I am going to say. I doubt many beach hunters want to see your show materialize here in Florida. We have so many out there detecting now that it is hard to find a quarter in the sand much less gold rings. Right now the beaches are bleak with finds. There was some discussion about this show earlier and most said the same thing. We believe people will see the show and "come out of the woods" in mass. That would never be good for us. Maybe you should do a show closer to your home? Chicago has some of the best gold ring finds. A story about Chicago Ron would be a real eye opener for your viewers. He is well known and he and his buddies find pounds of gold in a season, not just a few rings. That would be much more exciting. Check him out, he posts here a lot. Otherwise you will shoot 1000 hours of video pulling junk from the sand and then one ring and your viewers will not see that junk, only the ring. That is not reality here, we hunt hard and long for one gold. Nobody here makes a living at it. It is a hobby, not a job.

What's the pay like Tom? How many folks are you going to video pulling pulltabs and marine screws for hours before you start planting bling? I have been doing this for 35-years, and about 30 of those years add up to a lot of walking, swinging and digging with nothing but scrap metal and good friends to show.

Seriously Tom, this aint our first rodeo. If it is an hour show, how do you plan to fill the 57-minutes of frustration and hard physical labor when the diggers are finding trash? Three-minutes of folks finding clad coins and occasional bling does not make a show..

Why can't I find a backer with more money than brains? :laughing:

I volunteer to dig pulltabs and trash, because I am very good at that. maybe the show can pay me enough to get a house or a new car.

I agree with everything Terry said.

It could be done with a lot of editing and the right people who are very lucky and skilled at this hobby.But you will have to film hours to get seconds of good TV.Just my opinion.I would like to see it though.

I am in South Florida and I be satisfied with a new detector, then maybe I can filter out the pull tabs!!!

What happened to the Storage Auction business will happen to Detecting... Everyone & their mother will be showing up at beaches and parks digging around. i think state & local laws would change very quickly due to onset of people.

Yep. If you're a regular coupon user like myself, you know the stupid show on TLC "Extreme Couponing" absolutely wrecked it for coupon users. Fraudulent coupons, temporarily waived store policies and the people they feature who claim to donate their hauls only to sell them for cash at garage sales. Now coupon use for the average Joe is heavily scrutinized at grocery stores thanks to these scumbags.

This show is a mistake. Gold rings would be planted by the second day of shooting.

The worst part... is when we have thousands of new detectorists on the beaches, not filling their holes, all detecting on beaches will be banned...

You can tell these reality show producers are running out of ideas when they have "swamp people", "extreme couponing" and "metal detecting" shows...

Reality shows are dead, move on...

The worst part... is when we have thousands of new detectorists on the beaches, not filling their holes, all detecting on beaches will be banned...

You can tell these reality show producers are running out of ideas when they have "swamp people", "extreme couponing" and "metal detecting" shows...

Reality shows are dead, move on...

The thing is you cant say that EVERYONE isn't going to be filling in there holes or doing the wrong thing.. Remember we were all neebies once and had to learn the rules.. I mean whats the difference between a new guy that joined because he saw this detecting site ( which have thousands of members ) or a new guy that saw a show about detecting??? You gotta give the new guy a chance to do the right thing.

And on top of that how many new people actually stick with the hobby?? Once they see there digging nothing but some change and trash a lot give up. Here in south Florida you gotta pay to park and it ads up quick. Not finding anything will push them away. You gotta have the time and patients for this hobby.

Oh boy is this going to be a bumpy ride. I am sure his PM box is already full and his phone won't stop ringing. This will be known now as ground zero, as where this hobbies destruction first started. Sorry no offense Tom, how could you know. Time to start looking for a new hobby.:(

Thankfully there is skill involved, it takes time and research to know the best spots on a beach to swing the coil. A bunch of guys swinging randomly over a beach, isn't really a threat... and where I live you have to be a glutton for punishment to water hunt, I still have never seen anyone but myself hunt in the water where I live.

Oh boy is this going to be a bumpy ride. I am sure his PM box is already full and his phone won't stop ringing. This will be known now as ground zero, as where this hobbies destruction first started. Sorry no offense Tom, how could you know. Time to start looking for a new hobby.:(
This thread is going to be long. Maybe those of you who want this show should do it in YOUR state. :p This is not a good idea for us. They could do a show with chicagoron and just say they are hunting on the Great Lakes and not be specific. I would love to see a show with Ron if they could keep his areas secret. What you say RON??

This thread is going to be long. Maybe those of you who want this show should do it in YOUR state. :p This is not a good idea for us. They could do a show with chicagoron and just say they are hunting on the Great Lakes and not be specific. I would love to see a show with Ron if they could keep his areas secret. What you say RON??

Chicago Ron has a show out now... Should be airing next month!! I think its called: LUCKY MUCKERS or something like that.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=104361&highlight=chicago+ron

Back
Top Bottom