Using Carrot on Beach..?!

Seaking406

Elite Member
I had the chance to out to a beach this afternoon at low tide to see how the storm surge might have left 'something' behind but it came up cleaner than anything else.. not even a bottle cap or tab.. (Are Canadian beaches generally cleaner than US beaches?)

However, I did get a strong ping on the ACE 250 in the silver range, managed to pinpoint it with the MD and then used the Carrot to search the hole I dug up but came up empty.. But if I pointed the Carrot deep into the hole it would ping away like it made contact.. even though there wasn't anything in that hole that the ACE250 could pick up.. I dug another test hole and when I stuck the Carrot in, it would signal a solid contact at the bottom of the hole.. though there's nothing in it..

Does the salt water saturated sand play havoc with the Carrot with false signals? Trying to figure thing out in the sand.. Works great in grass and such..

I use mine at the beach (ocean) all the time, and without any issues. What you may be experiencing are hot rocks. The 🥕 has mutliple sensitivity settings, try lowering the Sens.

I get that on the beaches in MA and ME. It's been large hot rocks for me.

Perhaps hot rocks but could also be false signal. You are dealing with a fix ground balance detector you are at the mercy of the mineralization/black sand. When you place your coil on top of the wet sand starts to go crazy the same thing will happen with a pinpointer. As mentioned about the pinpointer, You will have to drop your sensitivity on the Ace 250 with even more reduction on depth and you will start to learn the difference between a good target and false signal in shallow depth. G/L

Perhaps hot rocks but could also be false signal. You are dealing with a fix ground balance detector you are at the mercy of the mineralization/black sand. When you place your coil on top of the wet sand starts to go crazy the same thing will happen with a pinpointer. As mentioned about the pinpointer, You will have to drop your sensitivity on the Ace 250 with even more reduction on depth and you will start to learn the difference between a good target and false signal in shallow depth. G/L

Hot rocks.. ?! Rock with lots of iron content?

That's the weird thing about having used the Carrot in sand for the first time.. My ACE250 would ping all the time until I reduced the sensitivity down quite a bit to keep it from ping except on proper targets and not ping on the wet sands.. (but am I missing out on deeper real targets?). Even then, if I get a proper ping hit on a target and am able to pinpoint it with the MD, then use the Carrot, the latter will ping like crazy at the bottom of the hole.. if I dig a wide hole in the sand then the whole hole acts like a target rich environment even though the MD now doesn't sense anything in the hole..

As before, I still have some RTFM and tutorials to go through on how to use the Carrot properly..

One of the fun things about this hobby is having to learn a whole bunch of new things =)

Hot rocks.. ?! Rock with lots of iron content?

One of the fun things about this hobby is having to learn a whole bunch of new things =)

Salt water is conductive and plays havok on detectors.
As Joe just mentioned, black sand (minerals) also plays havok on detectors.
Then there are hot rocks to play havok on detectors

Certainly a lot to figure out but use the process of elimination and start in your own yard. If the carrot works there, then you know its not defective. Next learn how to adjust the sensitivity and set it to low. Also, try another beach and see if it works. If so, then go back to your original beach and keep troubleshooting. Who knows, maybe there is a giant chest of gold where you "thought" you had problems.

:digginahole::workforgold:

If water in the hole let the tip of the PP touch the water then switch on.

If no water let the tip of the PP touch the wet sand then switch on.

This action should tune out the conductivity of the salt, but you have to do it every time that is the downside.

One of the things that I find I do is when trying to turn the pointer off, I inadvertently change modes because I do not hit the button properly with gloves on.

That video was a good refresher on adjusting the pointer. I forget sometimes which mode is what and always double checking how the pointer is setup. So I watched the video and it was a great refresher.

Ray

Could have been small piece of metal or ground. Shut carrot off. Turn back on holding tip to ground or wet sand. Careful not to do this near metal as it will tune out what it’s started nea ie wet sand. Gl

I had the chance to out to a beach this afternoon at low tide to see how the storm surge might have left 'something' behind but it came up cleaner than anything else.. not even a bottle cap or tab.. (Are Canadian beaches generally cleaner than US beaches?)

However, I did get a strong ping on the ACE 250 in the silver range, managed to pinpoint it with the MD and then used the Carrot to search the hole I dug up but came up empty.. But if I pointed the Carrot deep into the hole it would ping away like it made contact.. even though there wasn't anything in that hole that the ACE250 could pick up.. I dug another test hole and when I stuck the Carrot in, it would signal a solid contact at the bottom of the hole.. though there's nothing in it..

Does the salt water saturated sand play havoc with the Carrot with false signals? Trying to figure thing out in the sand.. Works great in grass and such..

i use the land and sea pinpointer when needed at the beach its good for 20ft deep and saltwater doesnt affect it never falses

Back
Top Bottom