First class ring!

rlhjr72

Found this chunk of gold on the spectator line at a local soccer field this morning. 11g of 10k! :D It is engraved with a name, major and graduation year so tracking down the owner would be easy enough, but........finders keepers right? My wife and I have a beach vacation coming up in June and the $200 melt would cover our tropical drink tab...decisions, decisions....:thinking:

Attachments

• ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 246
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 199
  • ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 193
I have never found one so not 100% sure what I would do.. It is a "fairly" recent drop so someone is definitely bummed out they lost it but well over it by now.. might of even replaced it who knows..

I would never look down on any detector for either decision that's for sure.

Personally I would follow your gut it usually knows what's best.. If it feels right it usually is and visa versa.

Very nice ring !! Congrats on the great find. Whether you return it or keep it has to be your decision. I have done both depending on how bad I needed the money at the time. You might get a reward if you returned it but maybe not so tough to answer.

2015 and it is gold? Now that is a rarity. Most the newer ones are SS. Your choice what to do with it.

If it is Celistrium which is SS it cost the buyer 455.00

If it is 10K it cost the buyer 1090.00

So it is worth to you a measly 200.00. What might it be worth to the owner? Probably more than that. Actually after the stone removal and weight and after the refining fees, I am guessing you will get maybe 180.00 tops.

Your call

Nice chunk of gold. I found a 14.6g class ring earlier this year and returned it. The little guy with the halo on my right shoulder out shouted the little guy with the horns and pitchfork on my left shoulder:lol:

If you don't mind me asking (as I am sure others are curious as well)

Where about on soccer pitch or such fields would you consider it best to find items in the dirt? Near the stands, out in the middle of field? I am sure that's more than common sense to others where to look but after several sports fields I've come up empty of anything significant, maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places?

Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking (as I am sure others are curious as well)

Where about on soccer pitch or such fields would you consider it best to find items in the dirt? Near the stands, out in the middle of field? I am sure that's more than common sense to others where to look but after several sports fields I've come up empty of anything significant, maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places?

Thanks!

Go along the sidelines of a soccer field (where the spectators sit on their lawn chairs or blankets). Around the concrete surface of an outdoor basketball court is always good too.

Well I thought I had made my mind up to melt it until I started reading all of your responses. Now I'm feeling a bit guilty :lol:

Scuba's post made me curious about the cost so I did price the ring on the Balfour website and Scuba was right:

If it is 10K it cost the buyer 1090.00

:shock::shock::shock:

To muddy the waters a little bit, on the website, when you buy the ring you get a 4-year "Ring Loss Protection Plan" included for free. Here are the details:
---------------------------------------------------------------
College Ring Loss Protection Plan
Your Balfour ring is so precious that it is automatically protected against loss or theft. If your ring is lost or stolen, Balfour will replace the ring. This protection plan is in effect for four years from the date of purchase on all original rings purchased after August 1, 1996, and is limited to a single replacement of your original ring during the four-year period.

This Ring Loss Protection Plan excludes diamonds, precious stones, Military Academy rings, Championship rings and Texas A&M University rings (Aggie rings).
----------------------------------------------------------------

So...if the original owner wanted their ring back so badly they would have already replaced it with a free one from Balfour...correct? :?:

That eases my mind if I do decide to melt it.

Or maybe I'll just go back and bury it where I found it.

Where about on soccer pitch or such fields would you consider it best to find items in the dirt?

My luck at soccer fields has come from where people sit to watch the games. Usually one side is for players and one side is for spectators.

However on baseball/softball fields I have had better luck in the outfield than where the spectators sit. Go figure.

If I had my choice at any given park I would hit the spectator area of the soccer fields first.

Burying it again would be STUPID in my book.

If you just want to be out everything that would be it. With giving it back you have a chance of a reward.

It is yours to do with what you want. You don't need anyone telling you what to do. IF it were my ring and I was offered it back, I would gladly pay 200.00 to get it back. It is a university class ring. Means something to someone. Not just a high school ring.

I have friends that melt them, I give them back. They don't judge me and I don't judge them. Your call. End of story.

I have found two class rings. One from 1931 and so far i have not been able to determine what school it may be from. Badly worn. The second was lost two years ago and it had the owners name engraved in it. I worked with the young ladies father for 13 years. I gave it to her dad.

Your decision. But if your conscious is okay with keeping it then keep it.
I would personally prefer to return a ring to the owner.

I have found two class rings. One from 1931 and so far i have not been able to determine what school it may be from. Badly worn. The second was lost two years ago and it had the owners name engraved in it. I worked with the young ladies father for 13 years. I gave it to her dad.

Your decision. But if your conscious is okay with keeping it then keep it.
I would personally prefer to return a ring to the owner.

I do not even look for owners of rings dated before the 50's. My oldest class ring was a 1901. I have found over 100 of them. I don't even look for kin any more. If they have died it is melted.

This ring was only lost 3 years ago max, so pretty recently. Now if it was 1915 your chances of finding the owner are probably pretty slim, but ill bet the kid that lost it might even still play soccer there. I would return it, but that just my opinion. Good luck and happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom