Accidently bought some silver coinage today!

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
KT always keeps His Royal Eye open for a silver coinage opportunity.

The background: One of KT's good friends passed away 4 months ago after nearly a year of lingering illness, in and out of the hospital and finally never got out the hospital. He and I were very good friends and had a lot of mutual respect for each other. And he was a collector....fossils, minerals, indian artifacts, just a lot of different interests. He was a Native American and very proud of his ancestry.

Since his death, KT has occasionally taken his widow and now a good friend, out to lunch. Today while at lunch, she brought up his collection of coins. I asked if he had many and she said only one small box. So when I took her home, she got out the box, which I dumped out on the kitchen table and started going through. There were half dollars (none silver), some SBs and Sacs, all pulled from circulation, a variety of quarters, mostly not silver, some silver dimes, both mercs and rosies, and some wheat pennies. Well, KT weeded out all the clad coins, separated the silvers and the foreign coins, and discussed with her about taking the clad to the bank to dump. She uses a different branch of the same back KT uses for dumping and they have a machine. She still has about a pound of foreign coins, 3 steel Wheaties, as 43 is her birth year, and several pounds of mixed clad.

Below I show some pics of what I bought. I paid 10X face and she agreed it was fair to her. I paid 15 cents for the one Buffalo and it had a date, and 5 cents each for the Wheaties, even tho they are not silver. I did find a 1915S in the Wheaties and figure it is worth a bit more than I paid for it.

Here is the run down on what KT recovered now for His Royal Hoard!
Mercury dimes - a complete run of war years, most Philadelphias but some Denver mints too. 7 total.

Rosies - 24 total, 17 of them in the 1960 era.

Quarters - 6, one a war year.

1 dated Buffalo nickel, 1 1911 George V 6 pence, 1st year minted and 92.5% Ag, 1 1943 George VI 6 pence and 50% Ag.

And the Wheaties - total of 58, year spans shown in image.

Bought a few foreign coins of the right year and color to be silver but they all turned out to be nickel or aluminum :p No images of them.

Also, finally one Vatican coin. It is holed and has little collector value so KT plans on giving it to a Catholic friend of His.

Anyway, it was fun learning about the foreign coins and KT made a little profit also, but all the silver goes into the Royal Treasure Chest.

On a side note, KT thought He purchased 7 silver quarters, but when He got back to the Castle and when through them a 2nd time, one turned out to be a cruddy 67! :laughing::laughing: So much for that bargain!

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• 04 16 2018 Ag purchase 6 quarters.jpg
    04 16 2018 Ag purchase 6 quarters.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 04 16 2018 Ag purchase 7 Mercs.jpg
    04 16 2018 Ag purchase 7 Mercs.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 04 16 2018 Ag purchase 24 Rosies.jpg
    04 16 2018 Ag purchase 24 Rosies.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 04 16 2018 Ag purchase 24 wheat pennies.jpg
    04 16 2018 Ag purchase 24 wheat pennies.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 04 16 2018 Ag purchase  1 36 Buffalo, 1 George V six pence 92.5% Ag, 1 George VI six pence 50% A.jpg
    04 16 2018 Ag purchase 1 36 Buffalo, 1 George V six pence 92.5% Ag, 1 George VI six pence 50% A.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 127
Back
Top Bottom