Good Or Bad Idea ??

bubbaron

Forum Supporter
Hello To All,
I had a quiet day and did not go out hunting today. I cleaned up my clads and have made a decision, I have decided to buy some silvers with my clad cash -ins since I don't seem to find many silvers. Good idea ??? Back at it tomorrow. The snow we had overnight is all melted so it's back to digging. HH everyone
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT PRO, AT CARROT PIN POINTER

I would say that's a good idea.. You found it so spend it anyway you want.. Mine goes into a fund to supplement my flea market finds..

Hello To All,
I had a quiet day and did not go out hunting today. I cleaned up my clads and have made a decision, I have decided to buy some silvers with my clad cash -ins since I don't seem to find many silvers. Good idea ??? Back at it tomorrow. The snow we had overnight is all melted so it's back to digging. HH everyone
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT PRO, AT CARROT PIN POINTER

I've been buying silver coinage with my clad finds this year. I picked up 5 Morgan dollars just last week. :clapping:

Great idea..
I just learned the hard way that the amazon card I got from the coinstar machine cannot be used to buy coins on amazon.:laughing::nono::shrug:
Life of a noob.

It's a great idea if you want some silver coins. It's not so great an idea if your looking for an investment.

Key date silvers can be a great investment, with values hopefully at least keeping up with $ inflation.

Good Idea! Find a good local source for your purchases...Local Coin Shop, Private Party, Local Coin Club, or right here on the Forum you can buy some silver...
You will get pretty excited when you start converting your clad finds into Halfs or Mercs, or Q's or Dollars...Then, even just hunting totlots or clad snatching seems to make the whole day worthwhile when you can come home basically with a 'Walker Half' every Sat or Sun am just by kicking totter chips for an hour or so...

Puts everything into perspective regarding finds......Up here in Michigan, we have a dime deposit on all empty cans....So 12 empty cans will buy a guy a Merc dime! Slamming clad and cans and having a conversion plan is a viable, easy and fun Detecting strategy...

Attachments

• cans 62213.jpg
    cans 62213.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 572
  • nov 25-17.jpg
    nov 25-17.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 571
  • auction1.jpg
    auction1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 551
  • gold coin.jpg
    gold coin.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 573
HI MUD,, I wish Indiana had a deposit on cans like you have up their. People here toss them every place. You can go to the park on a nice summer day and clean house on a garbage bag full of cans. I could buy silver dollars every week.
Happy Hunting

KEN :D

HI MUD,, I wish Indiana had a deposit on cans like you have up their. People here toss them every place. You can go to the park on a nice summer day and clean house on a garbage bag full of cans. I could buy silver dollars every week.
Happy Hunting

KEN :D

Right Ken? Once I started going out metal detecting, I soon discovered the various Sub-Cultures of other like minded Urban Vultures!

Dumpster Divers, Freegans, Cannies, Curb Side Set out Hunters, Trashers, Scrap Metalists...Estate/Garage Sailers, Good Will Hunters, Beach Blanket Bingoists, etc....Its all very interesting!

Like us, they get up and out on the prowl super early! One ancient Septagenarian Cannie I interviewed last year, little wiry guy trying to survive on his SS check, snatched up 16000 empties! Bragged about it and rightly so! Thats $1600! For riding around on a bicycle in a 15 mile radius before Sun-up and snatching up ditch cans!? Remarkable! Thats like one of us finding an OZ of gold and 10 Morgan Silver dollars! So yeah..

So here we are, Detectorists, a specialized subset of an Urban Vulture, going out looking for coins..keep an eye out for the real valuables, learning skills from the others...free food is always good...

Spending clad on silver or gold coins is nice if that's what you like. I cash in my clad coins at the end of each hunt season and turn them into silver and gold. These are some of the things I've recently bought with clad finds.

Attachments

• IMGP0682.jpg
    IMGP0682.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 534
  • IMGP0195.jpg
    IMGP0195.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 552
  • DSCN2114.jpg
    DSCN2114.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 555
It's a great idea if you want some silver coins. It's not so great an idea if your looking for an investment.

Why exactly? Precious metals and real estate are really the only viable hedge against inflation and I doubt many of us are buying real estate with our clad...

The silver coin bought with found/dug fiat coinage and saved is a great investment. When the US dollar tanks and dies, that clad will be scrap to melt for utilitarian uses or to barter and the silver will be used to purchase goods and services.

Hell, I still buy junk 90% with extra cash earned working, as instructed at age 9 or so by my grandfather. Hard to argue the silver I/he was buying for $3-4 an ounce back in the day was a "bad investment", even considering the artificially low $17 we're sitting at now...

Sounds like a great idea to me Bubbaron! :aok:

Why exactly? Precious metals and real estate are really the only viable hedge against inflation and I doubt many of us are buying real estate with our clad...

The silver coin bought with found/dug fiat coinage and saved is a great investment. When the US dollar tanks and dies, that clad will be scrap to melt for utilitarian uses or to barter and the silver will be used to purchase goods and services.

Hell, I still buy junk 90% with extra cash earned working, as instructed at age 9 or so by my grandfather. Hard to argue the silver I/he was buying for $3-4 an ounce back in the day was a "bad investment", even considering the artificially low $17 we're sitting at now...

Sounds like a great idea to me Bubbaron! :aok:

Silver and gold coins are a great investment if you want to keep up with inflation but you have to sell it to get a return. They also might be good in case of a total breakdown of the economy, but dividend paying stocks reinvested over time have a better chance of surpassing the rate of inflation and they can pay you money without having to sell. The only investment professionals who recommend more than a small percentage of your portfolio be placed in silver or gold, sell silver and gold. I buy a few silver and the occasional gold coin from the us mint every year because I enjoy the art work and the wife thinks they are a great Christmas present. I know that it will keep up with inflation, but I don't consider it an investment as much as a hobby that I might make money at. Kind of like detecting.

It's not a "bad" investment, just maybe not the best if you are trying to build a retirement portfolio. Silver and gold are a safe investment and like most investments the safer it is the less return on investment.

Silver and gold coins are a great investment if you want to keep up with inflation but you have to sell it to get a return. They also might be good in case of a total breakdown of the economy, but dividend paying stocks reinvested over time have a better chance of surpassing the rate of inflation and they can pay you money without having to sell. The only investment professionals who recommend more than a small percentage of your portfolio be placed in silver or gold, sell silver and gold. I buy a few silver and the occasional gold coin from the us mint every year because I enjoy the art work and the wife thinks they are a great Christmas present. I know that it will keep up with inflation, but I don'a t consider it an investment as much as a hobby that I might make money at. Kind of like detecting.

It's not a "bad" investment, just maybe not the best if you are trying to build a retirement portfolio. Silver and gold are a safe investment and like most investments the safer it is the less return on investment.
PM's are a much better investment than homeowner's or auto insurance, for sure. No return on those investments, for me, thousands of dollars in loss, three decades of no claims.

PM's are a much better investment than homeowner's or auto insurance, for sure. No return on those investments, for me, thousands of dollars in loss, three decades of no claims.

I agree that PMs are a nice way to spend clad if you like silver/gold and it is a small percentage of your overall portfolio. But insurance premiums should never be looked at as investments. They are just insurance. Hopefully, my insurance never has to pay me. I'd rather have no claims. Just have to look at having peace of mind that it is there if something happens. Although I'm probably worth more dead than alive at this point. Lol. And don't get me started on "whole" or "universal" life insurance. Investments and insurance should never mix.

That's what I do Bubba 👍 All my finds are treasure . Even a zink penny that isn't too crusty . Those I'm saving if I ever get behind on my taxes 😎
,Dew

Depends

I like finding silver , not buying , basically no family here to leave it to, if i crock , i have silver in a safe deposit box that hasn't seen light in 15 year's, just saying, happy hunting Earl

Back
Top Bottom