Detector comparisons- Etrac, Deus and Equinox

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
I thought I would start this thread.
And talk about a few things.

First off, detector build quality.
Can one really tell by looking how well or how good a detecfor will stand up to the task of actual detecting?
Let's see.

Does anyone here remember seeing what was said about Xp Deus during its debut?
I remember reading folks comments.
Words like looked flimsy and other synonyms used.
Question was/is it?
I sure don't see any post here as of late with folks having problems as far as breakage.

I have read here comments about the Equinox is built cheap.
Okay.

Allow me to post up a few pics of 3 different detectors arm cuffs.
The Equinox and 2 other more expensive detectors- XS Deus and Minelab Etrac.

Here is a pic of Equinox's cuff.
21kx9id.jpg

Here is the Etrac's cuff.
2jch6qw.jpg

Here is the Deus' cuff.
2ynos9w.jpg

Now, all 3 are made of plastic and really have the same design.
I have not seen any broken Etrac cuffs or Deus cuffs or Equinox cuffs.
Granted there has been some after markets offered for Etrac over the years.
I can't judge by looking how strong or durable anything made of plastic really is.
It takes actual use (intended use) to find fault IMO.

Next, in the pics it may be hard to see the stands for the different detectors.
Here the Deus and Equinox are both plastic. The Etrac is metal.
I have not seen any breakage or worn out stands on Deus and Etrac. And haven't seen any yet with Equinox- it is newer release though.
Could a person assume the metal stand on Etrac is more durable? I reckon.
But the Etrac is twice the weight of Deus.

Detector weight with 11" DD coils installed.
Etrac looks to weight around 4.2 lbs with battery installed.
Deus weighs around 2.5 lbs again all batteries installed.
Equinox weight in around 3 lbs. again all batteries installed.

So what about detector weight?
If weight is sacrificed one could assume some detector strength/durability be sacrificed. Assuming no special (and usually more expensive state of the art materials used). But the question should be will the design provided the detecting community hold up while detecfor is used for intended purposes?

The Etrac actually picks up some additional weight with the use of the oem battery pack provided. Using one of the rnb aftermarket a user will lose some of the weight.

The Equinox technically likely gains a little weight as it is the only waterproof detector here compared. Meaning Deus it it were waterproof it would likely weigh more.

The etrac though is not waterproof yet it outweighs the other 2 detectors by a good margin.

Now comparing the rods of all 3 detectors.
The Etrac uses an aluminum upper that comes full square and a lower carbon fiber. And the rod itself is made intentionally bigger so the coil cable can slide down inside. So maybe some weight gain here for Etrac by doing. The rod is very micro scopic length adjustable to the user.

Deus using a 3 side aluminum tubular design which allows for the rod being made ultra compact upon collapsing. The Deus rod offers microscopic adjustability for length to user.
The Equinox uses a more traditional round aluminum design found on many other detectors. The rod adjustments are available but are not microscopic adjustable like the 2 other detectors here. Instead a series of holes are used for adjustment.

So here is one area where Etrac and Deus have an advantage as far as build/design.

Let's look at screen view ability/legibility while detector is being used in the wild.
The Equnox here offers a big number for ID, the 800 model offers adjustable backlight/600 model is fixed (and reports are it is too bright. Little glare is noticed.

As far as daylight use.
Etrac can suffer badly from glare.
Been there and done experienced that. And a protective screen used on Etrac screen will only add to the problem here.

Deus screen is easier to see than Etrac, does have backlight but is fixed.

So here the Equinox in my opinion is the winner, with Deus second and Etrac third. And this is rating all with protective screens made of the exact same material on all.

Next menu systems used on all 3 detectors.
Which is easier to navigate?
The Equinox
Next easiest the Deus and third is the Etrac.

Power supply used on all 3 detectors.
Xp Deus uses batteries in the coil, the remote and in the wireless headphone models.
The batteries do have a good track record for longevity. In order to change them one needs some skill, and chafing the coil battery is quite complex due to the fact waterproofing is a concern.

Etrac.
The stock battery provided likely won't last as long as the Deus a batteries will for a service life since the batteries are not Li-Pro. The battery however can be changed in the field, and after markets li-pros are available for around $115-150.

Equinox
It uses a li-pro set up and can be recharged just like the Deus can. It's service life though since Equinox is new release has not been proven. Latest comments from manufacturer it seems a user will be able to remove and replace the battery themselves and seems little skill required.

Coils
I can't see an ounce of difference when comparing the more expensive Etrac stock coil to the cheaper Equinox coil.
The Deus coil to me looks more robust and durable, key here it looks this way to me.

As far as coil ears on the stock coils for all 3 detectors, I don't think I have seen any broken ears reported, or anything to me that would suggest a problem in this area with any of the 3 detectors here. Granted again the Equinox likely has far fewer hours in the field vs the the other 2.

Coil bolts
I have not seen anything reported on any metal detection forum that would suggest there is a problem in this rea with any one of the 3 detectors talked about here.

Detector handles.
I have only ever seen one Deus handle broken reported by a Mr Keith Southern a few years back. I did see where he was quickly taken care of by the service provided by manufacturer.

I have not seen any handle breakage reported by Etrac users or Equinox users.

Detectors bought and arriving as serviceable.
I have paid close attention to Etrac buyers and Deus buyers reporting their problems upon receiving units newly purchased.
Both Etrac and Deus as far as I can tell have a worthy track record here in this department. This doesn't mean a buyer couldn't receive a faulty unit.
Equinox so far based on the numbers sold, I think it too looks like it is having a good track record. But more time is need before I would rank it like I have the Etrac and Deus here though.

Warranty.
Deus leads the pack with a 5 year transferable warranty. This does not extend to the batteries in the components though, they have a shorter warranty.

Equinox and Etrac basically share the same coverage as far as warranty goes.
See manufacturers site for details.

So we have 3 units here, 2 more expensive and one cheaper unit.
The cheaper Equinox is the only waterproof unit. And waterproofing a unit does drive up cost.

List price for the units.
And I am pulling this info off of a sponsor's site here.

Etrac somewhere in the $1500-1600 range
Equinox 800 somewhere in the $900 range
Equinox 600 some whee in the $750 range.
Deus somewhere in the $1500-1600 range

Now, folks interested in buying any one or all of the units above, there are plenty of sponsors here to assist you. All you have to do is call. I have dealt with several. All are very good and people oriented.

Okay next let's talk about how each of these compare in the field.
I have used each one above (not the 600 model) when hunting for coins, relics and jewelry. I have run my 800 unit though to mimick a 600's unit performance barring the use of prospecting mode.

First is the weight.
Older folks, women even teenagers may find the additional weight of Etrac troublesome.
The Deus is the lightest of the 3 detectors and with a 9" DD doil only breaks the scales at 2.2lbs.

The Equinox is a little heavier at around 3 lbs.

Detector balance.
Etrac is the worse here in this department.
The Equinox ranks next, and the best here is the Deus.
Even the Deus with the 11" DD coil attached is a tad less nose heavy vs the Equinox. Use of the 9" round LF coil will make the Deus feel even better.

Coins
All 3 will find coins.

Etrac
For cleaner sites like parks looking for older coins it is strong performer.
In sites with modern trash it is a strong performer.
In sites riddled with iron it is a not so strong performer. It can perform here but extremely slow detecting is what it will take. In the higher mineralized soils Etrac lags behind Equinox as far as calling deeper coins even silver nonferrous.

Deus
For cleaner sites like parks it is a strong performer. But here is the problem using. Deeper target ID is very unreliable. Meaning for limited digging not a very good choice.
In sites with modern trash ranks behind Etrac here not near as good. And one cause is Xp for whatever reason keeps the tX power setting at level 3 when a user is using 4khz. This is not the only reason deus lags etrac just one.
For iron riddled sites Deus performs well at locating targets, but again ID of deeper targets and yes even targets partially makes by iron can be very unreliable.

Equinox.
Not as deep as Etrac on the higher conductive coins (in milder and medium mineralized soil), and it's ID not as accurate or spot on. Does do a lot better here than Deus does though. User's of Equinox chasing behind Etrac users(skilled) in cleaner sites don't expect to find much. Key here remember is cleaner sites. Deeper lower conductors like Nickels or gold rings could be located behind an Etrac user though.

Relics
Etrac can be used to find relics, but if site is loaded with iron using will be more painstaking. Etrac 's performance on smaller lower conductive relics not the greatest.

Deus
Deus thrives when relic hunting and can be used in sites with lots of iron with a lot more ease vs Etrac. Deus can find smaller lower conductive targets with ease. Even deeper.

Equinox.
Equinox too thrives in the relic hunting department. Actually Equinox is capable of finding relics in sites with lots of iron Deus is not capable of. This assuming deus is being used with a Low Frequency coil. Used of a high frequency coil on a Deus will make Deus perform more similar to Equinox here as far as locating some targets.

Jewelry
Etrac
Rings it does okay, smaller jewelry not so good.
For actual gold jewelry overall Etrac as far as locating ranks 3rd here overall.

Deus
Deus is very good on jewelry when set up correctly freq wise. It however can't locate all the smaller jewelry the Equinox is capable of while wearing a LF coil. So a Deus user would need a HF coil to compete here.

Equinox all around best detector of the lot here on gold jewelry of all sizes and shapes. Now, currently just having the 11" DD coil offering (stock) does limit where a person can use the Equinox as far as obstacles go. A smaller coil offering in the near future should help remedy.

Emi
Etrac is the best of the lot here for Emi mitigation.
Then would come the Equinox, then the Deus(using LF coils)
Use of HF coils on Deus IMO the Equinox and Deus a closer match.

Detector hunt speed.
Some folks by nature are creepers, and some are sweepers.
If you like to hunt fast- Etrac may not be your best choice.
Deus or Equinox better choices.
If you are a real slow hunter the Etrac might be your ticket.

So there are the 3 detectors.
I have been successful using all.
I have hunted behind each one using the other 2 detectors and made finds.

Folks have a choice.
They can spend more or less.

They can try and pic which detector model lines up more with the sites they hunt and the targets they are after mostly and their individual detecting habits.

My oldest legible dated coin I have ever found wasn't even found using any one of the 3 detectors above. I like all 3 detectors. All have their strong suits. None of them should ever be counted out as far as being able to find a find of a life time.

No find is worth more or less depending on which of the detector above were used to locate.

No user should be looked down upon because they choose one model over another.

I have witnessed the grand performance all of the detectors talked about above has to offer.

They are all worthy.
They all deserve respect.

They all will likely be used for years to come by a lot of folks.

Some folks will have broken units.
Some folks will sell their units.
Some folks will buy replacement like units and sell their older.
Some folks may not be interested in any one of the 3 units talked about above.
Some new detectorist may buy one or more of the units above.
Some folks may disagree with my comments here on the units.
Some folks may agree with me in my comments on the units.

One nice thing though.
We have each other here to at least read what they have to say about unit they own and run.
Folks weren't so lucky years ago.

Metal detecting can be fun, there will be ups and downs.
Just like all other things in life we do.
Metal detecting should never get in the way of your family life. If it does you need to reevaluate and make needed changes and FAST.

What will metal detectors look like 20 years from now?
What will they cost?
What will the landscape in the world look like, meaning will folks even have places to hunt?

The 2 manufacturers who built the detector above are major detector manufacturers. There are others. And some manufacturers some folks maybe not so familiar with.

I expect to see some great things coming in the future.
I may even get a chance to test one of these future detectors.

Folks undoubtably bond with their detector units. They have too IMO in order to become proficient using.

When we read this forum on a daily basis we are only seeing a snap shot in time.
When one looks broader here it is undeniable there are some real talented and dedicated folks here who have unearthed some very nice finds.

So, pick you a detector, learn how it works, post your finds, ask questions, and go and have a grand time detecting.

Btw, there still is not one detector I have used that doesn't have faults.

So there still is no perfect detector.

Maybe one day-wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Can one really tell by looking how well or how good a detecfor will stand up to the task of actual detecting....
Bravo!!!!!

Never did you mention your opinion or suggest a winner. You simply stated "Facts" and let the audience decide....yet, the answer is so obvious. Seriously, this is a great post!

Attachments

• medal.jpg
    medal.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 944
Deus to me is well made, it's light but that doesn't mean cheap.I think just the opposite,it probably cost more to make a light sturdy machine.
Etrac,I've broken a few arm cups,,they're cheap flimsy plastic.Other than that ,the etrac is a tank built to last.
The nox don't feel cheap to me either.Sure it's light,but so is the Deus and it's built well.Ive abused one Deus,threw it around for a good 4 months ,in and outta the truck,garage,out hunting,and it held up.i think build quality of the equinox is good.

Etrac,I've broken a few arm cups,,they're cheap flimsy plastic.Other than that ,the etrac is a tank built to last...
Come to think of it, I did have an explorer arm cup break. But in all fairness, it was a model made in '99.... dang, nearly 20-years old!

Some Etrac users may not know that you can push the "Detect" button to give screen priority to either the discrimination pattern or to the FE/CO numbers. The numbers get much bigger and easier to see when they have priority.

Picked up a deus a couple days ago and absolutely love it my hammered sites aren't so much hammered anymore lol have a lot to learn

Back
Top Bottom