Fisher Impulse AQ detector update

Anyone interested in PIs should really read some of the old posts Eric and Mr Bill made when they were posting on another forum full time. You will recognize some of the names that responded..... even Reg was asking a lot of questions back then about machines like the Aquastar.

Anyone interested in PIs should really read some of the old posts Eric and Mr Bill made when they were posting on another forum full time. You will recognize some of the names that responded..... even Reg was asking a lot of questions back then about machines like the Aquastar.

You can post the link to Findmall if you wish... we won't ban you Dew :lol:

Bill and I have been friends over the years.. when I first bought the DF I went to see him on cape cod and ran my DF in his test garden before we tweaking the DF... we ended up not tweaking it because I was hitting on the nickels he buried 15 inches down years ago.. He doesn't detect anymore or moderates on FM.. he has been out of the loop... I recently told him about the new machines on the market and he had never heard of them..

Technology Forum
https://www.findmall.com/list.php?34

Some great reading, followed this forum since I could walk..almost, use to be another name but they changed it.

I just went back 10 years and found my first post on that forum - of course I was just a kid of 62 then. Lol - my post is irrelevant, but the thread is interesting. Topics covered include

how shorter pulse delays not only capture signals from small low conductors, but how ALL signals are stronger at short pulse delays.

How pulse rate change affects detector function and how machines like ML PI’s change pulse rate as part of another function control like sensitivity

Here’s the link and a little diagram that Reg posted showing how a 2 channel PI uses 2 samples to do GB.

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,875370,877380#msg-877380

Attachments

• DE863616-CB50-427B-AFD2-AF5E11D70212.jpg
    DE863616-CB50-427B-AFD2-AF5E11D70212.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 790
Dear Fisher

i sure hope this Impulse AQ is out by June, the season here is Mid June -- September , if this machine is not out before summer, i will wait till next spring , i don't want to buy a high dollar machine , and it sit all winter , than the next model year comes out , if it hits the Market in May - or before June 15th , than i will buy one this year , i hope you get it together, a concerned Fisher Customer .:impatient::realitycheck:

You and I first met on FM Joe... I won't get into details of how we clashed :lol: with me being a pulse hunter and you an Excal hunter... ;)

I remember, it was over that video I did with the excalibur and DF...:yes:

i sure hope this Impulse AQ is out by June, the season here is Mid June -- September , if this machine is not out before summer, i will wait till next spring , i don't want to buy a high dollar machine , and it sit all winter , than the next model year comes out , if it hits the Market in May - or before June 15th , than i will buy one this year , i hope you get it together, a concerned Fisher Customer .:impatient::realitycheck:

Best for where you hunt during the fall and winter Earl. Your looking for those deep covered pieces of treasure in the fall. Then winter with the storms pulling sand off the beach. It's not a fresh drop machine, the excalibur or Nox you have will find those. This is a special machine for special times and places.

Obn

Good point, Shogun can help me dig those moon crator holes, Joe do you think i need a bigger scoop :?::lol: In season Shogun is not allowed on the beach, i am glad you come up with a schedule for me Joe :lol: thanks Ring Daddy U Da Man :thumbsup: PS Joe nice scenario, however if i like this machine , not only deep target's, it will get the fresh drop's on the way , a 2500 machine won't be sitting in season. All treasure will come, the on switch stays on in July , August, the Excalibur's in the water.

Last edited:
11." Soon there will be models for searching for gold nuggets, as well as for searching for coins and relics.!"
I wonder what a coin version of this machine would be like. I would love to have a PI for my multiple trips to the beach every year but it would have to be good on inland coins and relics since that is a majority of my hunting. Very interesting. I watched those aqua manta videos years ago. Nice to see that technology in production.

Mike....you make a point...in that are we getting back to nitch machines....specially designed? Maybe we have to go that direction befor the multi use each time. I still say it will be interesting to see MLs counter. What ...IF ...ML could improve depth equal to this machine in disc at a far less and price....and they do it before Fisher gets the AQ out? Wouldn’t that be a kick in the head?

Minelab needs a $200 - $400 price point machine to counter the wide range of low priced models now available - including (soon) the Makro Simplex. That price range is where the real sustaining money in this business is made - tens of thousands of units PER MONTH.

I suspect that, having undercut the Excalibur and probably done even more harm to CTX sales, they aren’t about to do anything on the price/performance front which impacts the Equinox which is selling very well.

Mike....you make a point...in that are we getting back to nitch machines....specially designed? Maybe we have to go that direction befor the multi use each time. I still say it will be interesting to see MLs counter. What ...IF ...ML could improve depth equal to this machine in disc at a far less and price....and they do it before Fisher gets the AQ out? Wouldn’t that be a kick in the head?

I think anytime we make a leap forward in technology its good for all of us. It encourages competition. Better machines at better prices.
I hope this machine turns out to be a game changer. But I also hope that this technology somehow helps my inland detecting one day. It will be interesting to see how it progresses. Maybe the future coin and relic versions will be multi use. I hope the performance justifies the price. Time will tell. I will say I'm hoping it's a success as Mr. Tartar seemed pretty passionate about building a better detector in some of those early videos.

MountainMike

The Aq coming out is a beach detector, the next is for nugget hunter's , don't think a coin -relic machine is planned, Maybe Rick can answer that question , its a speciality detector, not mass produced.

11." Soon there will be models for searching for gold nuggets, as well as for searching for coins and relics.!"
I wonder what a coin version of this machine would be like. I would love to have a PI for my multiple trips to the beach every year but it would have to be good on inland coins and relics since that is a majority of my hunting. Very interesting. I watched those aqua manta videos years ago. Nice to see that technology in production.

On the TDI, you could set it to "Ground Balance On" and then choose high conductor or low conductor, and you wouldn't hear the other conductor type. The ground balance knob allows you to tweak where the point is that the machine switches from high to low conductor.

Since this appears to be a tweaked TDI, I would assume that their gold machine and coin machine just locks you into high or low conductor mode when you flip to "disc".

Everything about this machine points to it being a tweaked TDI, with less features...

Everyone is so caught up in it being a shiny new machine, that they ignore the fact that the TDI already does everything this new machine does. Would be willing to bet that they are licensing TDI technology from Whites.

No license, not a TDI - that’s a bet you would have lost. In fact, Whites has no patent on any part of the TDI because the underlying design isn’t theirs. They obtained it from Eric Foster via license or purchase.

Eric Foster pioneered 2 channel PI detectors - where the early and late samples were compared and ground noise could be subtracted out. The Eric Foster Goldscan is the platform Whites used to do the TDI.

Alexandre Tartar have documented how over 10 years they have developed the basic 2 channel ground balancing PI concept which Eric first brought to market in order to build what they believe to be the worlds best machine for finding gold jewelry at the beach. Theirs is a new iteration of a basic concept and is original to them (and now Fisher who acquired the project and hired Alexandre and his team).

Characteristics claimed for their design include extremely short minimum pulse delay (the time between transmit cutoff and the first sample of return signal) as well as extremely quiet internal circuitry.

The operation of the two channels is different than Eric Fosters Goldscan 5b - which is the machine Whites licensed in order to develop the (nearly identical) TDI.

As far as less features, I believe the AQ matches the TDI feature for feature - the controls are nearly the same and the AQ has one that the TDI doesn’t.

Both have:

Variable pulse delay
Sensitivity adjust
Noise cancelling adjustment
Threshold

The TDI has a GB control which changes the relationship between the two samples plus a switch to hear a different signal on each side of the GB point (high tone/low tone)

The AQ has a similar control to change how the two channels report (iron mask) and a knob to choose whether high conductors (iron etc) are muted or give a multitone.

The TDI has a GB on/off switch which either enables or disables two channel operation

The AQ has a knob which Does the same thing

The AQ has variable SAT control - a very important variable - the TDI does not.

Last edited:
On the TDI, you could set it to "Ground Balance On" and then choose high conductor or low conductor, and you wouldn't hear the other conductor type. The ground balance knob allows you to tweak where the point is that the machine switches from high to low conductor.

Since this appears to be a tweaked TDI, I would assume that their gold machine and coin machine just locks you into high or low conductor mode when you flip to "disc".

Everything about this machine points to it being a tweaked TDI, with less features...

Everyone is so caught up in it being a shiny new machine, that they ignore the fact that the TDI already does everything this new machine does. Would be willing to bet that they are licensing TDI technology from Whites.

Problem with the tdi gb is that 24k/nuggets can fall into the lo or hi category depending on size and shape... same with the aq if I read correctly.

A "multi" signal pi that samples the signal at various gb setting to get an accurate reading could negate that but it looks like that's still well into the future... or have speedy Gonzalez hands and crank the tdi between settings

Here’s some data from the designer of the AQ - Alexandre Tartar - who, by the way is celebrating his 2nd anniversary as a Fisher/First Texas employee.

Since the D forum is the only place Alexandre has posted about the AQ, i will cross post something he just put up - under the “handle” of “golden retriever”. He posted it right after D. had made a post where he commented that the Tarsacci was hitting a nickel at 14” on the beach.

Note: English is not Alexandre’s native language. Also, when he writes “(with a fast swing without noise)” he is not talking about the strawberries, but about the fact that all the test results he is sharing were obtained not by “massaging” the target, but with a fast swing and that was without any resulting noise from the ground. The Tone Mode and the Mute Mode are the two modes where ferrous and other high conductor targets are ID’d.

Hello,

Salt wet sand for US nickel : 

IN ALL METAL MODE 17'' without noise at 7µs with a maximum ferrous discrimination

IN TONE MODE 17'' without noise at 7µs with a maximum ferrous discrimination

IN MUTE MODE 17'' without noise at 7µs with a maximum ferrous discrimination

With fast or slow SAT speed setting...

If the competition is better I pay them a tray of strawberries... grinning smiley (with a fast swing without noise)

Alexandre

Back
Top Bottom