Dry creek beds

acasto

There are quite a few low water crossings and dry creek beds in my area.
Anybody ever hunt these? Find anything?
Equipment?

Thanks
Tony

Dry creeks are one of my favorite places to hunt for logging relics (and relics in general). I am not sure what you are hunting for though. I live in the Ozarks and that areas that I hunt are in the woods that have a lot of seasonal creeks running through them. When in a new area, I will hunt the seasonal creek beds first. They are almost always dry when I hit them. If I start finding horseshoes (my first hand forged horseshoe came from a seasonal creek bed), axe heads, tobacco tins, etc. I figure I am close to an area that had a camp or at least a break/lunch area upstream. There are times that I will hit a stream bed and not find anything. Other times I find more modern stuff. When that happens, I start looking around and usually find a dump site within a couple hundred yards and the stuff has washed down over the years.

One thing that I have noticed is a lot of the finds are DEEP. I dug an oil can up that was over 18" down. Heavy rains and flooding moves the gravel and stuff I guess. The digging is a lot easier than hard, dirt though.

Hope this helps some.
Doug

As for equipment, I use my regular metal detector since I am hunting dry gravel mostly. If there is water there I do take care to keep my control box well away from the water. I hunt with the largest coil that I have and in all metal mode since I am looking for iron.

Check the culverts....

I am not sure where you are, but if you are in an area where there is a possibility of gold, check the culverts where the creeks cross highways. The wavy bottom acts as a trap for smaller gold.....

HH, Dave..........

I check creek beds for swimming holes... most creeks have them. Then look for the area that was most likely the congregation point... there will be coins and jewelry if it was a popular spot. RickO

Thanks for the help. I live just outside of Blanco Texas. Our weather here is either extreme drought or torrential floods. Seen the river here dry up twice. Lots of low water crossings that drain out of pastures and woods. As long as you don't cross someones land for access and stay in the creek bed, I think it's a green light for hunting. At least that how I read it.

HH

Back
Top Bottom