Identifying False Signals

ToddB64

Elite Member
Hi Everyone ! :wave:

Before getting to my questions, I thought it might be helpful to list some published glossary terms and definitions related to the topic, as a reference for everyone.

Note: Depending on your answers to questions #1 and #2, question #3 may be considered redundant and ignored.....your decision.

False Signal: An erroneous signal created by overshoot, ground voids or highly mineralized hot rocks.

Back Reading: A false signal, when operating in the discriminate mode , caused by a rejected target coming within one inch of or contacting the search coil bottom.

Overshoot: A common false signal heard as the search coil passes over a rejected target when using a no-motion all metal mode in conjunction with automatic tuning. Excessive tuning restoration pushes the audio above threshold level creating a positive response at the edges of target detection periphery.

Question #1: Do modern digital metal detectors with LCD screens produce a visual indication of a false signal, as well as an audio indication ?

Question #2: If digital metal detectors with LCD screens do produce a visual indication of a false signal on the screen, in what form is this visual indication depicted ?

Question #3: What audio and/or visual evidence is used to identify that a metal detector is producing a false signal ?

Thanks for your help !

ToddB64

Last edited:
Question #1: Do modern digital metal detectors with LCD screens produce a visual indication of a false signal, as well as an audio indication ?

On my F2, a false signal due to large metal in the vicinity, (not necessarily under the coil, either), trash that it is sensing but not locking onto fully, or a combination of metals under or near the coil, there will be both a visual and a Audio indication.

Question #2: If digital metal detectors with LCD screens do produce a visual indication of a false signal on the screen, in what form is this visual indication depicted ?

On my screen usually severely jumping numbers, jumping between sections and jumping depth bars.
In the case of big metal in the vicinity like large rusty iron or complete smashed flat cans this might be really high numbers into the 90's...a place where some large coins and other good targets could be like large silver, but that would be the lower 90's usually, not the mid to upper 90's.
On the F2 an overload signal of 00+ can be seen if the metal is big enough or shallow.

Question #3: What audio and/or visual evidence is used to identify that a metal detector is producing a false signal ?

Most times an audio signal that is not fully formed and for lack of a better word, "squeaky", and will usually not repeat in exactly the same place every time.

Thanks for your help !

ToddB64

Same with the Ace 250:
(1 A quick, short cut-off signal with a jump from iron to coins.
(2.A target next to trash may cause the same reaction.:no:

I am sort of getting the idea that you are interested to determine if a digital detector will get you around some types of trash.

I've worked parks and lawns which had a lot of cinder along sidewalks. In the past, folks had coal burning stoves and they took the ash and cinder and spread it on the sidewalks during the winter months. Over the years, this created a crunchy layer with lot of iron content and some stuff that burned and somehow ended up faintly magnetic.

That stuff caused me a lot of trouble. I eventually had success once I had a digital detector, not because it handled it better, but because I was able to tune the threshold up so the small stuff no longer sounded off. This allowed me to zero in on coin-sized targets and pull a little bit of good stuff from the cinder. I've repeated the trick along side rail tracks at a train stop which also can have a lot of cinder.

The two detectors that I know of that have an adjustable threshold are the Fisher F5 and the Fisher Coinstrike. There are certainly others, but it is rare that theshold is discussed except to say to max it out. It has a lot potential as a means to control the size of the targets you are presented and as such might make some sites workable.

Back
Top Bottom